Question about IF diet

machwon04

Awards
  • Established
I'm using the time between lunch and dinner as my 8 hour window to eat. I was wondering if I could drink coffee with a little bit of half n half in the mornings. Will this throw off the fast?

Wocheezy

Wocheezy

Awards
I'm using the time between lunch and dinner as my 8 hour window to eat. I was wondering if I could drink coffee with a little bit of half n half in the mornings. Will this throw off the fast?
From the leangains.com guide
"* No calories are to be ingested during the fasted phase, though coffee, calorie free sweeteners, diet soda and sugar free gum are ok (even though they might contain trace amount of calories). A tiny splash of milk in your coffee won’t affect anything either (½-1 teaspoon of milk per cup at the most - use sparingly and sensibly if you drink a lot of coffee). Neither will sugar free gum in moderation (~20 g)."

A little half and half should be fine.. Martin suggests keeping it under ~50kcals to stay "fasted"

Also from the website

"
The fasted state is not an on/off switch

I often encounter questions that goes a little something like this

"...can I use milk/cream in my coffee during the fast?"

"...will I break the fat if I have a 1/2 cucumber during the fast?"

"...I accidentally drank a mouthful of regular Pepsi during the fast, is this considered a fast breaker?"

A: The fasted state is not an on/off switch that immediately gets turned off once you have a tiny amount of calories, like a lot of people seem to believe. The research is not clear on exactly what it is with fasting that causes the positive effects seen in the clinical trials, but some of the hypotheses revolve around

a) letting insulin levels drop below a certain threshold, rather than a semi-elevated state (which would be the case with a higher meal frequency approach)

b) creating an acute energy deficit (which you enter during the fast)

Note that I'm really dumbing this down to get my point across.

So, it's a question of a dose-response effect. Can you have some milk in your coffee? Sure, I wouldn't worry about it and I have it myself. Life would just be too damn boring with only black coffee, especially if you're used to having some milk with it. How much milk/cream? I would put the limit at 50 kcal total used throughout the fast. That's about 1 deciliter or 1/2 cup 2% milk."

machwon04

Awards
  • Established
Awesome, thanks! Also, i drink ~15g of bcaa in the morning before work, and may start having another 10g around 10am. This is ok, correct? My first meal will be around noon and workout around 630-7.

murk01

murk01

Awards
Awesome, thanks! Also, i drink ~15g of bcaa in the morning before work, and may start having another 10g around 10am. This is ok, correct? My first meal will be around noon and workout around 630-7.
I just started LG 2weeks ago. I just switched to black only. But will be switching to caffine pills and only drinking water during fast. Bcaa during wo. U can take bcaa at 8am and @10am.
But i will be cutting out as much as possible.

live to lift

live to lift

Awards
Try synedrex by metabolic nutrition got some free samples the other day took 1 pill this morning and feel cracked out, i have a stupid amount of energy and it suppresses hunger really well

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
I tried IF for a few weeks it sucked but yes you can have a splash of creamer in your coffee. any reason in particular your going with IF? it may be convenient and fit your schedule but its far from ideal for growth and recovery.

live to lift

live to lift

Awards
I tried IF for a few weeks it sucked but yes you can have a splash of creamer in your coffee. any reason in particular your going with IF? it may be convenient and fit your schedule but its far from ideal for growth and recovery.
Reasoning behind your thoughts for growth and recovery?

live to lift

live to lift

Awards
common sense
Then explain your post if its common sense how does the IF diet affect growth and recovery. If your goin to claim something post reasonings when asked if you dont know your reasoning than dont give false info for those wanting help. About 2/3 of AM use IF

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
live to lift

live to lift

Awards
Not arguing with IF being effective or not but 2/3 of AM using that protocol means nothing.

- Valdez
irrelevant to the topic, but my reasoning for me stating that 2/3 of AM using IF was the point that why would 2/3 of members use a diet that is bad for growth and recovery on a bodybilding forum, now back to the topic at hand what is your proof that IF is bad for growth and recovery?

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I believe layne nortons touches on some reasons why IF wouldn't be "optimal". However unless your competitive in a sport I dont see it making much of a difference if you use IF or not.

live to lift

live to lift

Awards
Awesome bro stick with IF it is an amazing diet especially if ur cutting, your body will adjust to the fast after a few weeks black coffee in my opinnion is the way to go but if u only have 1 or 2 cups a splash of creamer makes no difference but i drink 1 to 2 pots of coffee so i would use alot of creamer even with a splash per cup which is why i reccomend black, recoverpro is pretty sweet the raspberry is delicious.

live to lift

live to lift

Awards
I believe layne nortons touches on some reasons why IF wouldn't be "optimal". However unless your competitive in a sport I dont see it making much of a difference if you use IF or not.
Link? I would like to research that

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
irrelevant to the topic, but my reasoning for me stating that 2/3 of AM using IF was the point that why would 2/3 of members use a diet that is bad for growth and recovery on a bodybilding forum, now back to the topic at hand what is your proof that IF is bad for growth and recovery?
Because 75% of AM are band wagoners. That does not prove anything in regards to IF.

I've tried IF I liked it, I just couldn't do it on fire station shift days. Waaaaayyyyyyy to hard to fast when fighting fire.

- Valdez

machwon04

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the help guys. I figured I'd give the diet a shot. I've tried several over the years to gain lean muscle without adding to my stomach, which is the only part of my body with any fat on it whatsoever. I figured since I wasn't a fan of breakfast early in the morning before work anyway, I'd give this a shot and see if it would do anything for me. I'm liking it so far, since I get to eat a little more during my meals. I'm about 5 days in, and that first meal at lunch is still about the only thing on my mind by 9:30 every morning, haha.