Off beat muscle foods

crispycrown

crispycrown

Awards
Sure we all know chicken, sweet potato brown rice etc but I thought what about a thread with a bunch of foods people might not know about to help add variety to the mundane muscle diet.
Found some 'no yolk' egg noodles made with wheat and egg whites with 8 grams of protein per serving. Can't be beat!

crispycrown

crispycrown

Awards
Oh and I should add no cholesterol with only a gram of fat. Bout to go eat some now..

toddgranit

toddgranit

Awards
Plain Greek yogurt.
I cup 120 kilocalories
23 grams of protein
9 grams of carbs
0 fat grams.
It is really versatile, it can be used as a sour cream replacement, salad dressings, and a number of other ways.
It has become a staple in my diet.
Peace

crispycrown

crispycrown

Awards
Plain Greek yogurt.
I cup 120 kilocalories
23 grams of protein
9 grams of carbs
0 fat grams.
It is really versatile, it can be used as a sour cream replacement, salad dressings, and a number of other ways.
It has become a staple in my diet.
Peace
****ing truth. I love Greek yogurt so much protein. Idk how I'd bulk without it

Clemenza

Awards
  • Established
Fat from eggs = good. Cholesterol from eggs = good.
I love this. It's a damn sin to throw out an egg yolk.

I've also been eating white rice lately. Goes down much easier than brown and can eat much more of it to get your carb count up. And it's not far off from brown rice in terms of the glycemic index for all of us who are not just worried about MIMO

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I love this. It's a damn sin to throw out an egg yolk.

I've also been eating white rice lately. Goes down much easier than brown and can eat much more of it to get your carb count up. And it's not far off from brown rice in terms of the glycemic index for all of us who are not just worried about MIMO
Yup. Brown rice isn't exactly micronutrient-rich. In the context of a diet rich in veggies, you should realistically notice zero difference between brown rice and white rice, health-wise.

domore

Awards
Cruciferous vegetables like: broccoli, kale, bok choy, cabbage, brussels sprouts, and cauliflower.

Great source of vitamins and minerals, and IC3.

toddgranit

toddgranit

Awards
Bacon!

Okay, not really.
I just really love bacon!
Peace

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
ground turkey, low fat cheese, i consume mostly simple carbs.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Not a fan of brown rice.
I prefer sweet potatos.

crispycrown

crispycrown

Awards
Truth. I never know what to eat it with. I've tried everything from sweets like brown sugar to garlic quinoa. That light semi nutty flavor kinda goes with anything

live to lift

live to lift

Awards
Truth. I never know what to eat it with. I've tried everything from sweets like brown sugar to garlic quinoa. That light semi nutty flavor kinda goes with anything
Straight chicken and quinoa made in low sodium chicken stock and a side of broccoli yummmm

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Hmm, I must be the only guy here who doesn't eat "clean." I consume a full kilogram of spring mix a day and fruits with each meal because I love them, but aside from that, almost all my carbs come from Wawa hoagie rolls, kids cereal, and pizza. Oddly enough though, kids' cereal is actually mostly whole grain and pretty damn satiating.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Usually I have 500ml normal milk (highish fat+sat fats) and 500ml ultra slim milk (11.4g of protein per 200ml only costs $1.50, so one carton has like 30g of protein) then whatever else I feel like. Mostly chiicken or beef, fish, eggs, shellfish, white rice, salads, tons of fruit and vege, the odd pie or pizza etc.

The main things imo are getting in all the minerals and vitamins daily and then building a diet around these basics. Mircos sorted before macros imo.

crispycrown

crispycrown

Awards
Hmm, I must be the only guy here who doesn't eat "clean." I consume a full kilogram of spring mix a day and fruits with each meal because I love them, but aside from that, almost all my carbs come from Wawa hoagie rolls, kids cereal, and pizza. Oddly enough though, kids' cereal is actually mostly whole grain and pretty damn satiating.
True that with the recent children's health push over the past few years sugars have been cut down dramatically while using better quality ingredients. I'm much like yourself still trying to stay on par with clean(er) food. But hey a few simple carbs won't kill you! Amiright?

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I do eat raisin bran & I enjoy apples & bananas as well.
What's your take on pizza though?
I limit it to two/three times a week, usually BBQ chicken, bacon, pineapple....

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I've also tried the "Bubba" brand steaks the 5.5oz wrapped in bacon.
I broil em.. They came out alright.

Anyone try the "Bubba" burger brand? Only thing that worried me about them was the amount of fat in the burger... I think the Foreman would cook some of it off though, but I'm not 100% on that.

crispycrown

crispycrown

Awards
I've also tried the "Bubba" brand steaks the 5.5oz wrapped in bacon.
I broil em.. They came out alright.

Anyone try the "Bubba" burger brand? Only thing that worried me about them was the amount of fat in the burger... I think the Foreman would cook some of it off though, but I'm not 100% on that.
yeah the foreman even is required to have a labeling on the package that says ""According to measured testing by Consumer Reports, editors found no significant difference in fat content between burgers cooked on indoor grills and those fried in pans. So using an electric grill probably is not going to drastically reduce your fat intake unless you change your eating habits in general."

but I've cooked bubba burgers before and some of the fat usually chunks up around the edge in those off color bubbles, so if you scrape those off you could probably cut down on the fat. not that it matters too much as long as you arn't downing an entire box a day or anything the fat from it isnt too bad

crispycrown

crispycrown

Awards
I do eat raisin bran & I enjoy apples & bananas as well.
What's your take on pizza though?
I limit it to two/three times a week, usually BBQ chicken, bacon, pineapple....
apparently pizza is a vegetable now so by those standards.. lmao

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Butter. Don't be scared of butter.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Not a big fan of pure butter myself. But I do like the butter flavor spray with <5 calories.

Any reason you recommend butter?
I specifically use butter from grass fed cows. Good source of fat, good for cooking with(eggs), good on toast, tastes good on veggies, etc.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
So much bro-science in this thread...aside from Coop and Frank Reynolds that is :/...I eat sugars, muffins , fruits, juice, heck even chocolate...I got rid of the "eat clean" mentality ¬¬' no difference, still have gains...less steess and far tastier. Just keep your macro's in track, and kCalories in the range you want them and voila ¬¬' no matter where the macros come from as long as you don't go over the kCalories and Macronutrient numbers for your goals...

In that note...just have a good amount of fruits and veggies for micros...and chocolate...loads of chocolate and coffee...Reason? Yum....!!!

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Nice. Any chance you can post up the nutritional info?
Sure.. This is the stuff I use.
http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/nutrition-calories/food/kerrygold/pure-irish-butter/
So much bro-science in this thread...aside from Coop and Frank Reynolds that is :/...I eat sugars, muffins , fruits, juice, heck even chocolate...I got rid of the "eat clean" mentality ¬¬' no difference, still have gains...less steess and far tastier. Just keep your macro's in track, and kCalories in the range you want them and voila ¬¬' no matter where the macros come from as long as you don't go over the kCalories and Macronutrient numbers for your goals...

In that note...just have a good amount of fruits and veggies for micros...and chocolate...loads of chocolate and coffee...Reason? Yum....!!!
LOL.. I am up to about 4 jars of this a week.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
White chocolate, dark chocolate, and cinnamon raisin, are bomb. Also Justin's Maple almond butter..heh

crispycrown

crispycrown

Awards
White chocolate, dark chocolate, and cinnamon raisin, are bomb. Also Justin's Maple almond butter..heh
I've had the white chocolate and it was SO Sweet I wasn't prepared lol I had to give it to my gf as I like my chocolate more semi sweet.

crispycrown

crispycrown

Awards
Nice might have to try it. God idk what I'd do without peanut butter

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I do eat raisin bran & I enjoy apples & bananas as well. What's your take on pizza though? I limit it to two/three times a week, usually BBQ chicken, bacon, pineapple....
Pizza is pretty much my saturated fat source for the day. It could be better, but convenience rules health at this point

crispycrown

crispycrown

Awards
Pizza is pretty much my saturated fat source for the day. It could be better, but convenience rules health at this point
Yeah convenience play a big factor for me as well. I Can't bulk up completely clean in a budget. Plus some personal pizzas aren't all that bad. Especially not for the price

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Yeah convenience play a big factor for me as well. I Can't bulk up completely clean in a budget. Plus some personal pizzas aren't all that bad. Especially not for the price
What's this clean you speak off? Thoroughly washed and scented foods?

crispycrown

crispycrown

Awards
What's this clean you speak off? Thoroughly washed and scented foods?
Mainly for protein purposes. Aka really can't afford anything Other than chicken or tuna or eggs, rest is too expensive.

crispycrown

crispycrown

Awards
And before you start flaming yes I know all the cheap 'clean' foods you can buy. But to get a little variety ill break outside the standard for some cheap sub-par food. Aka personal pizza or meatball lean pockets. God I love those

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Mainly for protein purposes. Aka really can't afford anything Other than chicken or tuna or eggs, rest is too expensive.
I'm on the same boat from time to time.
And before you start flaming yes I know all the cheap 'clean' foods you can buy. But to get a little variety ill break outside the standard for some cheap sub-par food. Aka personal pizza or meatball lean pockets. God I love those
What flaming? And those sound like food to me too...I just don't know clean foods anymore :p! Everything is just...food :D!

crispycrown

crispycrown

Awards
I'm on the same boat from time to time.

What flaming? And those sound like food to me too...I just don't know clean foods anymore :p! Everything is just...food :D!
Haha sorry if I got defensive.. I guess I just lump the bodybuilding main stay foods into 'clean' haha and everything else as not but I do like that haha . New motto to live by "everything is food"

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Haha sorry if I got defensive.. I guess I just lump the bodybuilding main stay foods into 'clean' haha and everything else as not but I do like that haha . New motto to live by "everything is food"
:food: Bring in the hot girls! Time to eat them too :D!

crispycrown

crispycrown

Awards
Pretty much all we need is 'America **** yeah' playing and the uber man feast can begin!

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I go through blocks of cheese :D