Diet advice

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys so I've been battling chronic fatigue the past few months. Symptoms include: Fatigue obviously, brain fog, lack of motivation, no libido, etc... Up until now I've been attributing it to adrenal fatigue, which I've come to realize doesn't really exist..I'm not completely convinced of this yet but several people in fitness circles claim this..
Anyways, I've been carb/calorie cycling for my winter lean bulk. Currently I'm 5'10 165. I was thinking perhaps by me limiting carbs to <50 grams on off days, that it could be the cause.. Anyway I'm trying to accomplish 2 things here. 1, a diet strategy that maximizes muscle accumulation while minimizes fat accumulation, aka: a recomp..And 2: a method that will eliminate these symptoms
Katch McArdle has my cals at ~2900. So on lifting days I do 280-300g Protein, 250-300g Carbs, and remaining in fats.. Off days I cut from carbs down to 30-50..Off day cals are around 1900..

Tryin to decide if this zig-zag method is better than a modest daily surplus..Both for gains and for the chronic fatigue I have..I don't think it's a keto thing as it's not enough time w/ low carbs to get to ketosis.

AdiPure7

Awards
When you limit your carbs your body uses protein for energy which gets extracted from your vital organs. Your body has to work a lot harder to function.

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
When you limit your carbs your body uses protein for energy which gets extracted from your vital organs. Your body has to work a lot harder to function.
Would it not prefer fats before it goes into a catabolic state of using up muscle protein?

AdiPure7

Awards
I was talking about protein sparing but when you don't eat enough carbs your metabolism of fats is inefficient which leads to ketosis. This screws up your acid base balance and makes you dehydrated

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
I was talking about protein sparing but when you don't eat enough carbs your metabolism of fats is inefficient which leads to ketosis. This screws up your acid base balance and makes you dehydrated
And when you finally get through that transition phase from low carbs, you eventually hit keto..So my off day carbs shouldn't drop below 100 or 150? TO be on the safe side..Keeping them in the am and spacing them out?

AdiPure7

Awards
I would go with 150. Anything lower than 130 will initiate keto. If you are trying to get lean for the winter while increasing muscle I would consume carbs as fruits vegetables and whole grains and stay away from refined stuff. If you are not consuming enough of these it might attribute to your fatigue.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
How often do you switch up your routine?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Hey guys so I've been battling chronic fatigue the past few months. Symptoms include: Fatigue obviously, brain fog, lack of motivation, no libido, etc... Up until now I've been attributing it to adrenal fatigue, which I've come to realize doesn't really exist..I'm not completely convinced of this yet but several people in fitness circles claim this..
Anyways, I've been carb/calorie cycling for my winter lean bulk. Currently I'm 5'10 165. I was thinking perhaps by me limiting carbs to <50 grams on off days, that it could be the cause.. Anyway I'm trying to accomplish 2 things here. 1, a diet strategy that maximizes muscle accumulation while minimizes fat accumulation, aka: a recomp..And 2: a method that will eliminate these symptoms
Katch McArdle has my cals at ~2900. So on lifting days I do 280-300g Protein, 250-300g Carbs, and remaining in fats.. Off days I cut from carbs down to 30-50..Off day cals are around 1900..

Tryin to decide if this zig-zag method is better than a modest daily surplus..Both for gains and for the chronic fatigue I have..I don't think it's a keto thing as it's not enough time w/ low carbs to get to ketosis.
A couple of questions: whats your training routine like? History of stims etc.?

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
A couple of questions: whats your training routine like? History of stims etc.?
Well, I've been told that adrenal fatigue is merely a myth.. So I don't think the stimulants thing is a factor anymore..But to answer your question, I had stims in my pwo for the longest time.. No more than 300mg/day of caffeine though. Been off of it since June.My training currently is 5/3/1

Miss Q

Miss Q

Awards

Well, I've been told that adrenal fatigue is merely a myth.. So I don't think the stimulants thing is a factor anymore..But to answer your question, I had stims in my pwo for the longest time.. No more than 300mg/day of caffeine though. Been off of it since June.My training currently is 5/3/1

I don't believe Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome is a myth, in fact Mountain Dog has sev articles published on the subject on another forum. I'm 99% sure I had it for sev months until I finally took a break from stims, got plenty of sleep and took Revamp by Southlandthen I was back to my old self and am feeling better than ever in about a month.

How much sleep are you getting each night??

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
I don't believe Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome is a myth, in fact Mountain Dog has sev articles published on the subject on another forum. I'm 99% sure I had it for sev months until I finally took a break from stims, got plenty of sleep and took Revamp by Southlandthen I was back to my old self and am feeling better than ever in about a month.

I've tried the Adrenal Glandulars.. Rhodiola, Licroice root, etc.. They haven't done anything for me. Like I said I've been off all stims since Mid June..I'm usually between 6.5-8 hrs per night..Been taking melatonin to help w/ deep sleep

Edit: In fact the Rhodiola Extract was standardized to 15% rosavins, which is much greater than anything else you'll find online for the most part.

Miss Q

Miss Q

Awards
Stop carb cycling for awhile and see how you feel? Or did I miss something?

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
Stop carb cycling for awhile and see how you feel? Or did I miss something?
I decided to up my off day calories from 1850 to about 2200, also upping carbs from ~50 to about 125. On days are 3400 cals and upwards 300 g carbs

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

What tangiable data deficiency do you have that confirms the diagnosis of adrenal fatigue? Where there before and after blood essays that support your belief that your adrenals were fatigued?

Miss Q

Miss Q

Awards
What tangiable data deficiency do you have that confirms the diagnosis of adrenal fatigue? Where there before and after blood essays that support your belief that your adrenals were fatigued?
I diagnosed myself, thank you:)

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Miss Q

Miss Q

Awards
You are welcome. So does this mean that you have also diagnosed mcc? Unless there is something to indicate via blood or other credible testing that there is adrenalin difficiency it is still nothing beyond myth. I'm not suggesting that the symptoms are imaginary only the diagnosis.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/adrenal-fatigue/AN01583

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/sep/15/news/la-heb-internet-diseases-20100915
mcc? I read sev thread's and articles about Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome - and all the symptoms marched up to what I was experiencing so I thought that's what i had!! Lack of sleep, fatigue, lethargic even after taking caffeine /stims. I use to take upwards of 800-1000 mgs of caff per day so I figured I had burnt something out!!!

I will read up on the links u posted.....:)

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
mcc? I read sev thread's and articles about Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome - and all the symptoms marched up to what I was experiencing so I thought that's what i had!! Lack of sleep, fatigue, lethargic even after taking caffeine /stims. I use to take upwards of 800-1000 mgs of caff per day so I figured I had burnt something out!!!

Thats almost triple the amount of caffeine per day that I was consuming...Only caff was in my pwo which is ~300mg. It also wasn't every day either..5x/week tops

Miss Q

Miss Q

Awards
Thats almost triple the amount of caffeine per day that I was consuming...Only caff was in my pwo which is ~300mg. It also wasn't every day either..5x/week tops
Yeah,.,,,can't believe I didn't die from all that!! :)

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
You are welcome. So does this mean that you have also diagnosed mcc? Unless there is something to indicate via blood or other credible testing that there is adrenalin difficiency it is still nothing beyond myth. I'm not suggesting that the symptoms are imaginary only the diagnosis.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/adrenal-fatigue/AN01583

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/sep/15/news/la-heb-internet-diseases-20100915
From the 2nd article "Unfortunately, Congress has not given the Food and Drug Administration authority to regulate nutritional supplements such as those marketed for adrenal fatigue."

I truly and sincerely hope Congress never gives the FDA this type of power; I believe they have sufficient power now and do whatever they can do to help Big Pharma.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

like I said, I am not dismissing the symptoms, just the mythical diagnosis of adrenalin fatigue. Caffeiene abuse? Sure. Stimulant abuse? Sure. Plenty of evidence based on your and others amount (data) of consumption. What we don't have is evidence (data) that shows your adrenals are deficeint.
Caffeine abuse - http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1182710-overview
Anyway. Ive made my point already. Good luck guys.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't believe Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome is a myth
It is a very bad term used to describe real problems such as HPA dysfunction, CFS, adrenal insufficiency, etc none of which the solution to is "rest".