Weight Lifting @ night & eating.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
So I usually lift after 7pm sometimes even as late as 9pm all the way up to 1am.

Problem I'm having is I also work sometimes @ 8am so I am up for a bit and eating as well during the work day. When cutting (aka Fat Loss) theories suggest cutting carbs @ night (call it brosciene what ever) & to scale back on calories.
That's fine but lifting @ night @ let's say 9pm and going to bed around 11-12pm should I be taking in a big meal post work out, should I still be eating my calories through out the day as well. I've been stuck on this and like some opinions.

Some people claim to eat carbs @ night, others claims to not, some claim to have liquid meals @ night & cut off eating @ certain times, other do fasting...

I don't want to comprise my work outs & I don't want be over eating either or at the "wrong times" e.g. Before bed. What would you folks suggest?

I'm all ears...

mls51112

mls51112

Awards
bump :]

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
blaykeryan

blaykeryan

Awards
I'm curious abt this too...lately ive found my self having to lift after 7 pm, by the time i get done drinking my pwo shake its close to 930 ish....like right now for instance ha..its wierd i find it hard to eat a meal late at night, takes me like 30 min to get it down

xigotmailx

xigotmailx

Awards
  • Established
Personally I was going to the gym around 11pm - 3am and I would eat like crazy after my workout. I would have lunch around 1pm, then wouldn't eat again until after the gym, probably around 1am-3am normally. Sometimes I'd workout later. I'd hit maybe around 2.5k calories for the day and never saw any negatives from eating before bed. I do get where your question is coming from though, I've always been told, even by my parents when I was a little kid that eating late isn't good for you

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ask yourself a couple question:

If that magic window for post workout does exist does it matter what time of the day it is and if you are asleep awake after consuming it?

If you are in caloric surplus or deficit does it matter what time of day does that defect or surplus takes place when its a weekly or monthly surplus or defect that really matters?

IMHO this can be over analyzed and be of no substantive value that is quantifiable. IMHO experiment and learn what works for you. The only thing I can imagine being a problem is eating (if too large a meal) so close to going to bed that it interrupt your quality of sleep. Also, physiologically it may interfere with your natural GH release but is that substantive or quantifiable either?

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
My post workout meal is the same regardless of when I train.

I won't get too far into my beliefs but I say whatever you are doing currently when lifting earlier, if you believe that is optimum, then do the same at night.

vassille

Awards
It very much depends on the goal. It also depends how full your glycogen tank is as well.
If tank is somewhat empty then all those calories will just replenish glycogen and repair torn muscle without fat stores. If the tank is full all the extra calories will end up mostly as fat.
You just have to experiment to find your balance. From experience it is very easy to put on fat by eating at night especially carbs.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Thx for the feedback gentleman.

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established

If that magic window for post workout does exist does it matter what time of the day it is and if you are asleep awake after consuming it?

If you are in caloric surplus or deficit does it matter what time of day does that defect or surplus takes place when its a weekly or monthly surplus or defect that really matters?

IMHO this can be over analyzed and be of no substantive value that is quantifiable. IMHO experiment and learn what works for you. The only thing I can imagine being a problem is eating (if too large a meal) so close to going to bed that it interrupt your quality of sleep. Also, physiologically it may interfere with your natural GH release but is that substantive or quantifiable either?
That about sums it up.

Experiment and see how different approaches effect your sleep, gains, physique, etc. then go from there. In my own experience when I lift later on a night there is no way in hell I'm getting to bed without a few solid meals I'd be up all night with hunger pains. IMO the don't eat after a certain time is bull. If your body needs the nutrients and calories it will use them in a positive manner regardless of ingestion time.

Jymis

Jymis

Awards
I think David and Nyiron say it about as well as can be said.

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
post workout your body is craving nutrients no matter what tiem it is, bottom line.......you are only able to resysnthesize glycogen at a rapid rate for 30 min postworkout after that the rate goes down exponentially!!!

Miss Q

Miss Q

Awards
So I usually lift after 7pm sometimes even as late as 9pm all the way up to 1am.

Problem I'm having is I also work sometimes @ 8am so I am up for a bit and eating as well during the work day. When cutting (aka Fat Loss) theories suggest cutting carbs @ night (call it brosciene what ever) & to scale back on calories.
That's fine but lifting @ night @ let's say 9pm and going to bed around 11-12pm should I be taking in a big meal post work out, should I still be eating my calories through out the day as well. I've been stuck on this and like some opinions.

Some people claim to eat carbs @ night, others claims to not, some claim to have liquid meals @ night & cut off eating @ certain times, other do fasting...

I don't want to comprise my work outs & I don't want be over eating either or at the "wrong times" e.g. Before bed. What would you folks suggest?

I'm all ears..

My suggestion? Eat a couples of cupcake's before you go to bed!!;)

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Miss Q

Miss Q

Awards
Some Greek yogurt ones.

Now your giving me idea's.....vanilla protein powder mixed in to the batter w/ a Greek Yogurt cream cheese icing. I have to leave this thread now!!! That is too much dairy!! ;(

Jymis

Jymis

Awards
Now your giving me idea's.....vanilla protein powder mixed in to the batter w/ a Greek Yogurt cream cheese icing. I have to leave this thread now!!! That is too much dairy!! ;(
But sounds so tasty!

napalm

napalm

Awards
i just started IF'ing last week and am eating everything between 12-8, train at 4:30.

so far the biggest issue is getting all my calories in those 8 hours. i eat a big meal at noon, some fruit and a protein shake pwo and a big meal at 8. go to bed around 10.

being hungry sucked the first few days but now it's just a minor annoyance, i do find it hard to eat feeling full.

no effect on sleep so far.

there is some stuff out there there that advocates eating a couple hours before bed: recovery, gh release and all kinds of other good things happen at night. give that time of day the nutrients needed for anabolism. basically nutrient timing or whatever you want to call it. just putting it out there...

suppsnstuff

suppsnstuff

Awards
I eat a bowl of cereal with raisins and bananas almost every night around an hr before bed.. I also snack on random items in my pantry... Munchies hit me hard at night :) but I have not seen an increase in weight or a decrease in definition.. I'm sure I would be further along if I was a good boy and didnt smoke on the reefer, but whatever.. Eating carb filed foods at night hasn't negatively impacted me yet... It's probably different for everybody and how fast your metabolism works and how much it slows down at night.. Just putting my one cent in

emersonkelly

Awards
Personally I was going to the gym around 11pm - 3am and I would eat like crazy after my workout. I would have lunch around 1pm, then wouldn't eat again until after the gym, probably around 1am-3am normally. Sometimes I'd workout later. I'd hit maybe around 2.5k calories for the day and never saw any negatives from eating before bed. I do get where your question is coming from though, I've always been told, even by my parents when I was a little kid that eating late isn't good for you
:wave: Eating late night is not good for health; we have to eat at least 2 hours before going to bed. So avoid eating late night!!:box:

Sourdough

Sourdough

Awards

completely agree...

I got to the shape in my avi when i was working out later at night eating huge right before the workout(literally a 1000 cal shake 2 hour pre) then eating a large whole food meal post workout and going to sleep anywhere from 10 min-2hr after...

I was taking a good amount of gda's though. Anabolic pump with each meal and pslin with pre workout shake/meals.

Obviously i wasn't putting on to much fat.

I still work out at night now...but i also stay up till 4-6 in the morning and sleep till 1ish pm... so my 9, 10,11o'clock workouts are more like my afternoon. I'm a night owl for sure...

But I've found stopping eating carbs now at least 2-4 hours before sleeping seems to help me burn fat faster when my activity level is lower like now.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
completely agree...

I got to the shape in my avi when i was working out later at night eating huge right before the workout(literally a 1000 cal shake 2 hour pre) then eating a large whole food meal post workout and going to sleep anywhere from 10 min-2hr after...

I was taking a good amount of gda's though. Anabolic pump with each meal and pslin with pre workout shake/meals.

Obviously i wasn't putting on to much fat.

I still work out at night now...but i also stay up till 4-6 in the morning and sleep till 1ish pm... so my 9, 10,11o'clock workouts are more like my afternoon. I'm a night owl for sure...

But I've found stopping eating carbs now at least 2-4 hours before sleeping seems to help me burn fat faster when my activity level is lower like now.
Got cha. Yeah my only problem is that I'm up all day & eating during those times as well. So like Dunn said guess the best thing to do would be in a slight deficit during the day.

MrMarc

MrMarc

Awards
I read that eating healthy protein and fats like "Cottage cheese, peanut butter, greek yogurt" at night is good, and the reason behind that is its better for your body to pull the amino acids and other things from your healthy foods at night then your body pulling all of them from your own muscle, they also said that doing that will help with some extra burning of fat at night.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I read that eating healthy protein and fats like "Cottage cheese, peanut butter, greek yogurt" at night is good, and the reason behind that is its better for your body to pull the amino acids and other things from your healthy foods at night then your body pulling all of them from your own muscle, they also said that doing that will help with some extra burning of fat at night.
Interesting.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
i eat cottage cheese every night before bed with cheese sticks and milk

supermanjow

supermanjow

Awards
  • Established
You are going to be in a state of glycogen depletion. Now how much does depend on when you last ate before the workout and how many carbs you had in that meal. For me, it has always been better to eat a reasonable amount of carbs post workout even when training late. With that said, I tend not to eat carbs preworkout either. Hope that helps a bit.

turff49

turff49

Awards
It really depends on "what" you eat. I'd say eating a big steak 20 minutes before bed would not be a good thing. Takes the body longer to break it down and that would interfere with quality sleep. But, your own body metabolism is the bigger key. If you have a higher metabolism and good digestive tract then the absorption of the nutrients will be faster. Age also plays a role.

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
in regards to carbs i say teh most important thing is making sure your glycogen stores are depleted so pwo the carbs u eat go right to ur muscles, with that said i would say to not have carbs preworkout......just an idea

Sourdough

Sourdough

Awards
It really depends on "what" you eat. I'd say eating a big steak 20 minutes before bed would not be a good thing. Takes the body longer to break it down and that would interfere with quality sleep. But, your own body metabolism is the bigger key. If you have a higher metabolism and good digestive tract then the absorption of the nutrients will be faster. Age also plays a role.
I would rather eat a whole steak before bed rather then have a glass of chocolate milk....

Digestion isn't the problem. It's not going to interfere with sleep THAT much... inducing a huge insulin spike with your fast digesting food on the other hand would most certainly interfere with gh release and possibly quality of sleep...

Really, what matters more then anything, is that your replenishing glycogen stores and providing enough protein for repairing and growing new muscle

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Am.com

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Now mind you this was High School. I used to lift about 9pm and come home around 10:30pm and smash 2 cans of tuna and 4-6 pieces of whole wheat bread before I went to bed. Never really had an issues, was moderate with carb intake during the day.

I would think the addition of modern GDA, like AP, would help with any issues of an abundant release of insulin.

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
at the end of the day, tryout different thingss for letssayamonth a ta time and see what works best for u

suppsnstuff

suppsnstuff

Awards
at the end of the day, tryout different thingss for letssayamonth a ta time and see what works best for u
Everybody is different. Find out what works best for you and stick with it

ntornado

Awards
I would rather eat a whole steak before bed rather then have a glass of chocolate milk....

Digestion isn't the problem. It's not going to interfere with sleep THAT much... inducing a huge insulin spike with your fast digesting food on the other hand would most certainly interfere with gh release and possibly quality of sleep...
FWIW the Carb Back Loading way of thinking says the opposite which is eat the high glycemic foods at night so that insulin raises and falls quickly for sleep time which will allow for the GH release and solid sleep.

Sourdough

Sourdough

Awards
FWIW the Carb Back Loading way of thinking says the opposite which is eat the high glycemic foods at night so that insulin raises and falls quickly for sleep time which will allow for the GH release and solid sleep.
...key words in my post is "right before bed" and fast digesting simple sugars vs slow digesting protein source.

I'm not saying that if you had 30min... 1hr.... 2hr.... in that case, of course quicker is better.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Am.com

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

I'm all ears...
Or just sac up and go keto :cool: :lol:

Sourdough

Sourdough

Awards
AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
:wave: Eating late night is not good for health; we have to eat at least 2 hours before going to bed. So avoid eating late night!!:box:
Back it up..I've come in dialed in and ripped in the morning after a 1000+ calorie meal. It not as much when u eat as much as it is WHAT you eat.

Not directed at anyone in particular but man stop over analyzing the timing. GH is released during the workout so its best to get something down within an hour or so after training. Preferrably, a 50/50 split between carbs and protein. Carbs should be slow releasing IMO since ur talkin late night eating.

A 300g sweet potato, 1TBSP MCT oil, & 8oz of chicken for example. Or maybe whole grain pancakes with sugar free syrup and a protein shake. Its not hard. If ur doin cardio on a regular basis you'll never have to worry about getting too fat regardless.

Metabolism gets ramped by eating, not by starving.

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
just eat like you would usually post workout