Do you need to eat before you workout?

Cokeboyz

Awards
If I just woke up and went to the gym would that be ok? Or do I need to eat breakfast first

Movin_weight

Movin_weight

Awards
  • Established
Kinda depends on what you ate the day before. If you ate enough throughout the day and before bed to sustain glycogen stores, and you rehydrated this morning before the gym.... then you would be ok. If you hadn't eaten in 16 hours and didn't drink 8-16oz of water 30min before the gym, then your performance would suffer.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
^ sums it up. The whole pre-workout food intake notion has been outdated with more current research. And some people like training fasted and some people don't. Just do whats comforatable to you, theres no real right or wrong (in those terms anyway).

Exian

Exian

Awards
I try to go in the morning. I can't work out on a full stomach, I get terrible reflux. But I also can't work out starving. So I usually have a shake before I goto the gym, maybe a bowl of cereal or oatmeal if I'm going in the morning. If I go in the afternoon I need to plan it just before dinner. I like to burn what stores I have saved up in my body. I want to keep chiseling away at it.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
For the second time, stop overthinking everything. You're 16 and need to focus more on experience than details such as this.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes its important to eat at least two hours before your workout because it takes about two hours for carbohydrate to be digested and begin to be stored as muscle and liver glycogen. Your pre-exercise meals should consist of protein and 200 to 300 grams of carbohydrates.
This post makes my head hurt.

uvawahoowa

Awards
Yes its important to eat at least two hours before your workout because it takes about two hours for carbohydrate to be digested and begin to be stored as muscle and liver glycogen. Your pre-exercise meals should consist of protein and 200 to 300 grams of carbohydrates.
Wtf?

Movin_weight

Movin_weight

Awards
  • Established
Maybe if your going to run a 10k after lifting

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
you really need 1200kcals to sustain a weight lifting session? I doubt that. Just FYI, if you ate every meal post-workout (i.e. followed the notion of if it fits your macros) then you'll have enough energy for the next days subsequent exercise. I you were running 10k then id suggest adding in a intra-workout carb source, but timing is largely irrelevant

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Keep it simple. I like bananas about 30 minutes before training. I'm sure I'll catch hell for fruit sugars and all that jazz, but fruits work well for me.

Hai Guise!

AdiPure7

Awards
I don't know about bananas. I heard they have a relatively high glycemic index which decreases your energy if you eat them pre exercise.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Keep it simple. I like bananas about 30 minutes before training. I'm sure I'll catch hell for fruit sugars and all that jazz, but fruits work well for me.

Hai Guise!
Me too sometimes...

Miss Q

Miss Q

Awards
This post makes my head hurt.
Maybe if your going to run a 10k after lifting
you really need 1200kcals to sustain a weight lifting session? I doubt that. Just FYI, if you ate every meal post-workout (i.e. followed the notion of if it fits your macros) then you'll have enough energy for the next days subsequent exercise. I you were running 10k then id suggest adding in a intra-workout carb source, but timing is largely irrelevant

Nothing left for me to say......

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I workout around 6am everyday before work. Wake up 20 mins before, drink my pwo drink and Eat a banana with my bcaa's. always have plenty of energy. Take a protein shake afterwards and I'm on with my day.

Dru32

Awards
Just make sure you arent so hungry that you are gonna be focusing more on food rather than lifting. I've had this issue in the past and found myself cutting reps or sets just so I could eat sooner.