Does it matter what types of foods you eat to reach your macros?

Cokeboyz

Awards
I always thought staying lean and muscular while bulking/cutting meant that you had to eat only whole grains, fruit, chicken, oil, and other really healthy stuff to reach your macros. But after doing some research on bb.com, Im stumbling upon advice like this:

"The names of the food items you eat have absolutely no bearing on whether your bulk is "clean" or "dirty". It's perfectly possible to clean bulk with ice cream and pizza. Likewise it's more than possible to dirty bulk on fruit, chicken and oatmeal."

To me this seems to good to be true. You mean to tell me that I can Bulk and stay lean and have nice definition and a six pack if I get some of my macros from pizza, ice cream, candy, and french fries? Not saying thats all I would eat of course, but I thought in order to stay lean and actually have a decent physique you had to exclude all that stuff from your diet. Was I wrong all this time?

JD261985

Banned
Awards
Whoever told you that is full of shyt...you can't lean bulk with ice cream and pizza but you CAN dirty bulk, get fat and burn it in a cut but seriously who wants to get fat

Cokeboyz

Awards
Whoever told you that is full of shyt...you can't lean bulk with ice cream and pizza but you CAN dirty bulk, get fat and burn it in a cut but seriously who wants to get fat
People all over bb.com said it. But I had a feeling it was too good to be true. What would even be the point of eating healthy if that was the case?

kapustahead

Awards
I think in very modest amounts those things can be useful, but the way you describe it seems completely unrealistic. By useful I mean you can get those vanilla-cup ice cream servings and eat one per day on a bulk for quick carbs without really gaining much fat (gellato is great too), and again a slice of pizza here and there won't hurt much either.... but daily pizza and ice cream will land you with a tire around your waist. Stick to the proven methods, grilled/baked lean meats, small amounts of fruit (high in fructose, so keep it modest) and all the green veggies you want. Rice, pasta for complex carbs. Again, a triple bacon cheese burger at mickey D's as a cheat meal once in a while on a bulk I would think is ok, as long as the main diet is clean and in order. Good luck....

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I always thought staying lean and muscular while bulking/cutting meant that you had to eat only whole grains, fruit, chicken, oil, and other really healthy stuff to reach your macros. But after doing some research on bb.com, Im stumbling upon advice like this:

"The names of the food items you eat have absolutely no bearing on whether your bulk is "clean" or "dirty". It's perfectly possible to clean bulk with ice cream and pizza. Likewise it's more than possible to dirty bulk on fruit, chicken and oatmeal."

To me this seems to good to be true. You mean to tell me that I can Bulk and stay lean and have nice definition and a six pack if I get some of my macros from pizza, ice cream, candy, and french fries? Not saying thats all I would eat of course, but I thought in order to stay lean and actually have a decent physique you had to exclude all that stuff from your diet. Was I wrong all this time?
Just FYI, I wouldnt call browsing on a forum 'doing research'...

It depends on what the guy was meaning when he said "dirty bulk", for me, that means eating crap high dense calorie foods with little-to-no vitamin/mineral content and that would mean that the guy who said it is wrong. If he means get fat, then you can get fat eating too much of anything...