6 meals a day

blayke88

Banned
Awards
Ok so there are people on here, I'm guessing not serious in bodybuilding and reaching there genetic potential, saying you dont have to eat 6 times a day, or every three hrs....im told i dont know anything because i think.eating 5 -6 meals aday and eating 500 below maint.to start, to start to lean out...and apparently it doesnt matter when, or how much carbs you eat if you want to lean out...apparently i get my info from the 80' s lol ...seriously am i wrong, or is eating 5-6 times a day to insure your body of consistent nutrients throughout the day old news

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
it wont make a difference, ive done it both ways and i enjoy not having to worry about constantly eating. carbs are more person depedent, i lose weight easier on low carb. this is my opinion and personal preference, i also fast

blayke88

Banned
Awards
I was just wondering, guess its what ive always followed and learned...it works great for me, eating whenever/ fewer meals doesnt...guess its just opinion..glad that works for you..

uvawahoowa

Awards
I was just wondering, guess its what ive always followed and learned...it works great for me, eating whenever/ fewer meals doesnt...guess its just opinion..glad that works for you..
It definitely works, it will just work the same as eating 2-3 meals/day with the same macros. I used to do 6-7 meals religiously, now I do 3-5 without any difference other than some satiety and bloating when I'm bulking (and I do bodybuilding comps so please don't think i'm not serious about training/diet)

blayke88

Banned
Awards
Oh i dont think.your not serious ha..i just got eatin alive in a thread abt my nutrition beliefs...may be all in my head, cause everytime i dont eat for three hrs i get bad anxiety thinking I'm burning muscle haha

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Oh i dont think.your not serious ha..i just got eatin alive in a thread abt my nutrition beliefs...may be all in my head, cause everytime i dont eat for three hrs i get bad anxiety thinking I'm burning muscle haha
the 6 meals a day boosts metabolism concept is preached by every trainer in my gym, its not "wrong" by any means but the problem is when someone claims it to be the best way of nutrition

uvawahoowa

Awards
I was the same way, i would look at the clock to know when to eat regardless of where I was or what i was doing...especially in contest prep. All the research 5-10 years ago and every article indicated what you were saying. Funny how things change

blayke88

Banned
Awards
I gotcha..i know its not the best way to diet...hell i know there are countless ways to diet that prolly have better or quicker results than my approach...well thanks for answering my question, just wanted to make sure

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was the same way, i would look at the clock to know when to eat regardless of where I was or what i was doing...especially in contest prep. All the research 5-10 years ago and every article indicated what you were saying. Funny how things change
I wouldn't use the word research as it is not really something that is/was heavily studied at the peer-reviewed level. It was more coming form magazines and other media than actual empirical data and you have to remember that they are heavily supported by supplement companies that stuck to the rhetoric of eating every 2-3 hours to help pad their bottom line.

blayke88

Banned
Awards
Ok so since there all these new techniques for nutrition besides my basic way ha, give me some good techniques excluding fasting, cnt do that currently on a cycle...mine as well try a new diet technique

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ok so since there all these new techniques for nutrition besides my basic way ha, give me some good techniques excluding fasting, cnt do that currently on a cycle...mine as well try a new diet technique
How about eat when you're hungry? Not being facetious, but that's always the parameter I use and it has yet to steer me in the wrong direction.

blayke88

Banned
Awards
Yea i know...like i said earlier just paranoid abt losing mass If I'm not hungry until like 4 hrs after my last meal...its all in my head ha...ill try to revolve my meals more towards when I'm actually hungry

toddgranit

toddgranit

Awards
Ok so there are people on here, I'm guessing not serious in bodybuilding and reaching there genetic potential, saying you dont have to eat 6 times a day, or every three hrs....im told i dont know anything because i think.eating 5 -6 meals aday and eating 500 below maint.to start, to start to lean out...and apparently it doesnt matter when, or how much carbs you eat if you want to lean out...apparently i get my info from the 80' s lol ...seriously am i wrong, or is eating 5-6 times a day to insure your body of consistent nutrients throughout the day old news
If our bodies were that inefficient we'd be extinct as a species.
Peace

vassille

Awards
Our bodies will do what we train them to do. What most ppl miss the boat on is understanding how our bodies work. Now there is genetic variation and what works for one person may not work for another the same way however, the sheer amount of diets and ways of traning tells us that our bodies are adaptive BUT missguided training and nutrition may get unwanted results.
Conclusion?
Do your own experimentation. I mean there is a basic block of understanding which is universal, such weight lifting will increase muscle size and strength with proper nutrition and rest but it's very different from person to person how that is accomplished.
THere are a few point to make why ppl may lose muscle.
1. Not eating enough protien to maintain muscle repair due to over training in the gym
2. Eating below maintenance for too long again with too much weight lifting.
3. Imbalanced macro diet
4. Too much cardio mixed with too few calories.
5 Improper use of IF.

Miss Q

Miss Q

Awards
This sounds very familiar, are you a member over at Pro Mo??

blayke88

Banned
Awards
Miss q...no.....yea i know...trust me I'm not eating below maint...macros are on point...worst thing abt my diet is the 1-2 cheat meals on weekends

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Yes.

Anywho, The main notion behind the 6 meal frequency thing was that once your body had digested its last meal (approx. 2 1/2 - 3 hrs ) then you had to feed or muscle would get catabolized. This theory practically assumes that the body has no capability to store energy in the form of glycogen, fat and amino acids in the amino acid pool. Yet we can visually see that this is not true; people getting fat is one example of stored energy.

blayke88

Banned
Awards
I see your point...thats just what i was tought before i got into weigh lifting...just seems like diet approaches these days are getting way too confusing...( carb loading/depleting, fasting,) well lately ive been just making sure i get my macros and meeting my caloric goal...my fitness pal tracker haha...so far so good

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes 6-8 meals a day works. No pro (to my knowledge) does fasting protocols that are becoming the new craze. They're more for social bodybuilders & in say that with all do respect, it's a much easier lifestyle to maintain but it's not for everyone.

I've been toying with IF for 6 weeks and I'm done with it. I kelp having to talk myself into staying with it. Shouldn't be that way, IMO. For me, and many others on this board, they way I can get the biggest/leanest/strongest is with traditional diet methods.

You have to see what works beat for you. Some bigger, respectable guys on this board use IF with great results & there's just as many doing the smaller frequent meals.

People who flame for one or the other are ignorant & arrogant & probably not very popular around here.

blayke88

Banned
Awards
Thanks man...i do respect the guys who fast...i couldnt do it...i would go nuts ha...Ive had my best gains eating frequently throughout the day....the only time i would try IF is if i wanted to compete...which is a goal for nxt june