Help me define "genetic potential"?

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
Im not really sure where to post this so this is where it ended up, my apologies if this discussion belongs somewhere else.

This is really just for discussion sake, but me and Im sure a lot of other people have heard the term "genetic potential" thrown around and I've always wondered exactly what people mean.

I know there are calculators, formulas and what not but im not sure how much I believe them. I've also heard a lot people say to look around at your immediate family and compare but im not so sure on this theory either. Im 5'9 165 pounds and am by far the biggest male in my family by nearly 20 pounds (crappy genetics, I know) but Im pretty positive Im not done growing so that kind of puts that theory to rest.

So, to you, what exactly is "genetic potential"?

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
I've seen people define it like this sometimes:

-Height in centimeters - 98 = Weight in Kilograms , that Weight in Kilograms is the max amount of Lean Body Mass you can have on you genetically speaking, without any enhancements.

Again, this is just something I read...It can be entirely wrong , subbed for a Rodja/Zir Red Answer.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Genetic potential is one of those terms that is loosely thrown around just like overtraining that has lost all meaning. Unless you've been seriously training for 15 years, you have not reached your "genetic potential."

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
Genetic potential is one of those terms that is loosely thrown around just like overtraining that has lost all meaning. Unless you've been seriously training for 15 years, you have not reached your "genetic potential."
That's kind of what I was assuming. I guess my other question is is there really a way of knowing what it is? cause obviously it's not the same for everybody and I imagine it can vary greatly.

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
I've seen people define it like this sometimes:

-Height in centimeters - 98 = Weight in Kilograms , that Weight in Kilograms is the max amount of Lean Body Mass you can have on you genetically speaking, without any enhancements.

Again, this is just something I read...It can be entirely wrong , subbed for a Rodja/Zir Red Answer.
If this is the case, which i'm sure it varies greatly from person to person, then i can only gain about 4 kg. Thats a sad thought! haha. 82kg (what it is with that math) lbm would be nice. Its currently at 77kg

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
If this is the case, which i'm sure it varies greatly from person to person, then i can only gain about 4 kg. Thats a sad thought! haha. 82kg (what it is with that math) lbm would be nice. Its currently at 77kg
haha it's just an estimate I have read tossed around somewhere, though being fair to it...10~ more lbs seems pretty awesome to me! haha, I mean I'm pretty sure I'm only around 125-130lbs of lbm , according to that I should be like 150 of lean body mass only at my peak...so around 165lbs at 10% bf...I got a long way ahead of me :D! I can still get 20-25lbs of lean body mass , in some 10 years , seems good enough for me :p

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
That is defiantly not true I'm 180cm - 98 = 82kg and that's 180lbs of lbm and I'm currently 182 with no enhancements. So that source is invalid, or at least for me hehe
That number is how much you weigh without fat. So at 88kg my Lbm is 77kg

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
To me, that statement has some truth to it but generally speaking, as Rodja said, its thrown around way to much. How many times have you heard a fat person say, "my genetics made me this way"; no, of course it has nothing to do with the 3 Buckets of fried chicken and maple syrup you had for dinner. Your only as limited as the effort you put into something.

"To the people that say the sky is the limit, I don't believe that. Becasue there are footprints on the moon".

Maybe we should have a quote showdown?

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
Patient: "the problem is doc, obesity runs in our family.."

Doctor: "no, the problem is nobody runs in your family"

Which statement were you referring to that had some truth?