Cant seem to eat enough to gain?

smatters

smatters

Awards
Hello everyone. I have a pretty fast metabolism and yet, as a thin framed person, I still battle with a gut problem. I have been working out very hard lately and I seem to only be losing weight which is not good considering I am thin. However, drinking weight gainers only contribute to my gut issue and I feel like I am in a rut. Can someone recommend a good list of foods to eat to pack in some healthy weight and any suggestions about my bloated gut. I freakin can't stand it and yet no amount of sit-up helps it go away completely. Lastly, then there's that dreaded full feeling as i drink my protein shakes throughout the day which leaves me not wanting to eat again for a while. Again, I am asking for foods that will help with my caloric intake but not something that will help me put on bad weight. Supplements are welcome too. Currently i take Syntha-6 (1 or 2 servings appx. 3x day) with Glycomaize (2 servings a day), JetMass (during workout and every night before bed) and Bullinox (pre). Thanks

LivingStrongE

Awards
You can try to split your meals into smaller portion meals. Instead of eating 3 times a day ( I'm assuming you eat 3 times a day) portion your meals out into 4-5 meals with a pre and post workout shake added into that routine. Try to eat lean meat, chicken breast, turkey breasts, veggies, peanut butter (even tho it's processed I still eat it), rice, oats, if you gonna eat beef make sure it's at least 85%lean and make sure you increase you calorie and carb intake if your currently low at it. Sit ups would only help build up abs but it won't help make them defined or "pop out". That's where cardio come's into play. Give yourself at least 45 min window after drinking your post workout protein shake to eat your next meal to make sure your shake has settled in. I use creatine, protein, bcaa (if I have $$), pre workout shakes, multi vitamins, fish oil. I'm still far from where I wanna be physique wise and I'm almost attaining the ab's. Just eat right(Eat clean but make sure your ATLEAST! hitting the required calories and carb maintenance but if you wana grow you gonna have to add alot more) , take the required supplements and hit them weights hard bro and I promise you that you will grow you just have to be patient. Anyways this is my second post on this website lol and this is just my two cents. Good Luck!

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
first thing is drop the weight gainer, almost all of these are full or sugars and s*** calories. you could make your own using healthier ingredients and it would save you money also

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
syntha6 has a bit more fat and less protein than others so if you're taking up to 6 scoop a day of that-you will get pretty full. pick certain meals you like and that are healthy-and cook 3x the normal amount of it eat the leftovers. get creative with your food. I was hooked on makin my own Chinese chicken and brown rice, then turkey tips and homemade sweet potato fries. lean hamburgers on whole wheat bun. chicken Caesar salad wraps on a wheat tortilla and light dressing. the list continues.

I started with the weight gainer shakes too- they didn't do a thing for me. they were disguisting and made me full. those shakes are for "meal replacement" and usually for post workout ONLY do to the dextrose or maltoxtrin in it. so replace your meal replacement shakes with....a meal!

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
Hey bro, can I'll amek a suggestion that will have you loving food.

Buy a book called the Anabolic Cook book by Dave Ruel. Its awsome and full of body building recipes. Its about $45 and has abuot 300 recipies (i think). its worth every cent. Here is one meal to get you started.

meatloaf
2 pounds of lean beef mince
1 cup of wholemeal bread crumbs
2 teaspoons of powdered garlic
2 teaspoons of Onion powder
2 diced tomatoes
1 egg
1/2 cup parsley
1 teaspoon of oregano
1/4 milk (optional)
1/4 low fat parma cheese(optional)

Mix everything but the meat first
add the mix to the meat and mix together thoroughly and mould into a loaf.
Put it on a tray so that the sides of the meatloaf are exposed
Put in preheaded oven at 375F (180C) for 45 mins.

This makes 6 servings at 440 calories each. Happy eating.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Are you suffering from legitimate bloating or are you "skinny fat"? ie skinny arms/legs, little muscle, with most of your fat around your midsection?

How about you list what you eat in an average day? And be honest.

9/10 times when a "skinny" person says. "I eat sooooo much" they aren't eating **** for calories.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Are you suffering from legitimate bloating or are you "skinny fat"? ie skinny arms/legs, little muscle, with most of your fat around your midsection?

9/10 times when a "skinny" person says. "I eat sooooo much" they aren't eating **** for calories.
This. I have noticed tthe same thing and had the same problem as far as eating goes when I was in HS.

smatters

smatters

Awards

That's a good question. I would honestly say its a bit of both. Sometimes, I can drink a glass of water and it seems like my stomach becomes bloated, but I am sort of the skinny with most of my weight around my mid-section as you had mentioned. It's a real challenge for me because some days my stomach seems to be behaving better and not bulging as much, then suddenly, one day and for days it seems like I ate a small pig. I'm so lost and frustrated. Naturally, the gut issue began when I hit that damn 3-0 age. But regardless, most of my weight is around my midsection to answer your question. Thanks for the help.

smatters

smatters

Awards
Hey bro, can I'll amek a suggestion that will have you loving food.

Buy a book called the Anabolic Cook book by Dave Ruel. Its awsome and full of body building recipes. Its about $45 and has abuot 300 recipies (i think). its worth every cent. Here is one meal to get you started.

meatloaf
2 pounds of lean beef mince
1 cup of wholemeal bread crumbs
2 teaspoons of powdered garlic
2 teaspoons of Onion powder
2 diced tomatoes
1 egg
1/2 cup parsley
1 teaspoon of oregano
1/4 milk (optional)
1/4 low fat parma cheese(optional)

Mix everything but the meat first
add the mix to the meat and mix together thoroughly and mould into a loaf.
Put it on a tray so that the sides of the meatloaf are exposed
Put in preheaded oven at 375F (180C) for 45 mins.

This makes 6 servings at 440 calories each. Happy eating.
Doc, thanks for this advice. This looks really kick-a--. I could use something like this and I really appreciate that you pointed it out.

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
Doc, thanks for this advice. This looks really kick-a--. I could use something like this and I really appreciate that you pointed it out.
yeh the book is awsome. Its an Ebook though. I didnt realise that until i bought it. Its still worth every cent.

With that recipee: make sure the tray has high sides. A lot of liquid comes out. I dont want you to wreck your oven. This one will help you get calories. I can eat half a meatloaf in one sitting if i want but it was a lot of calories (1320). It was really easy to bulk on. If you want to reduce the fat content in it use two egg whites in stead of a whole egg and dont add the cheese.

vassille

Awards
Hello everyone. I have a pretty fast metabolism and yet, as a thin framed person, I still battle with a gut problem. I have been working out very hard lately and I seem to only be losing weight which is not good considering I am thin. However, drinking weight gainers only contribute to my gut issue and I feel like I am in a rut. Can someone recommend a good list of foods to eat to pack in some healthy weight and any suggestions about my bloated gut. I freakin can't stand it and yet no amount of sit-up helps it go away completely. Lastly, then there's that dreaded full feeling as i drink my protein shakes throughout the day which leaves me not wanting to eat again for a while. Again, I am asking for foods that will help with my caloric intake but not something that will help me put on bad weight. Supplements are welcome too. Currently i take Syntha-6 (1 or 2 servings appx. 3x day) with Glycomaize (2 servings a day), JetMass (during workout and every night before bed) and Bullinox (pre). Thanks
yes because you cant digest carbs very well and you may be lactose intolerant. You need to figure what causes gut inflamation and the lack of carb absorbtion..hint type 2 diabetes comes to mind.. Once you know then eliminate it and move to other foods.
What foods to try?..well whole eggs, chesse, butter, the usual protein source, and try grits and maltodextrin. This kinda carb seems to work the best for ppl with gut issues from my experience. I cant tell you for sure this is going to work but it's worth giving it a try.
Oh and stop taking all those supps. Start fresh without.

Medical420

Medical420

Awards
yes because you cant digest carbs very well and you may be lactose intolerant. You need to figure what causes gut inflamation and the lack of carb absorbtion..hint type 2 diabetes comes to mind.. Once you know then eliminate it and move to other foods.
What foods to try?..well whole eggs, chesse, butter, the usual protein source, and try grits and maltodextrin. This kinda carb seems to work the best for ppl with gut issues from my experience. I cant tell you for sure this is going to work but it's worth giving it a try.
I mentioned this in another thread. Look up intestinal parasites, symptoms can be multiple, like i had. Or just one, like lactose intolerant, food allergy Or even Excess eating with No gains. Extremely easy to contract, and deal with with high doses of herbs (renewlife.com PARAgone with SMARTcleanse).

Parasites feed off of certain foods. Grains(gluten), sugars(artificial&refined) and dairy (sugar and lactose within it).

When you ingest it, they benefit and you suffer. They "eat" and absorb the nutrients from those groups. Then they make WASTE, that waste effects your organs. It turn causing imbalances(pH levels ie heartburn), weaken auto immune (arthritis for myself, allergies, IBS, crohns, diabeities etc). This also has an effect on what are body uses from the good.

An intestinal worm could also cause of nutrient loss as they eat it what you eat as they sit in your intestine/colon.

Do you have acne or get boils? Do you ever see mucus in you bowel movements? When you eat certain foods, do get lethargic? Does your tongue have a white film covering it? (best checked in the morning upon wakening)

It is a possibility, I only mention it because it is becoming more and more common in North America. You can be the healthiest of individuals and still get a parasite/worm/bacteria. And only takes a few months of diet and herbal pills to manage it. Just another angle.

I should add, the longer you live with these things, the more symptoms will come. They will grow In numbers, and they become systemic after eating through your intestinal walls.

:439:

iPhone AM.com app

vassille

Awards
I mentioned this in another thread. Look up intestinal parasites, symptoms can be multiple, like i had. Or just one, like lactose intolerant, food allergy Or even Excess eating with No gains. Extremely easy to contract, and deal with with high doses of herbs (renewlife.com PARAgone with SMARTcleanse).

Parasites feed off of certain foods. Grains(gluten), sugars(artificial&refined) and dairy (sugar and lactose within it).

When you ingest it, they benefit and you suffer. They "eat" and absorb the nutrients from those groups. Then they make WASTE, that waste effects your organs. It turn causing imbalances(pH levels ie heartburn), weaken auto immune (arthritis for myself, allergies, IBS, crohns, diabeities etc). This also has an effect on what are body uses from the good.

An intestinal worm could also cause of nutrient loss as they eat it what you eat as they sit in your intestine/colon.

Do you have acne or get boils? Do you ever see mucus in you bowel movements? When you eat certain foods, do get lethargic? Does your tongue have a white film covering it? (best checked in the morning upon wakening)

It is a possibility, I only mention it because it is becoming more and more common in North America. You can be the healthiest of individuals and still get a parasite/worm/bacteria. And only takes a few months of diet and herbal pills to manage it. Just another angle.

I should add, the longer you live with these things, the more symptoms will come. They will grow In numbers, and they become systemic after eating through your intestinal walls.

:439:

iPhone AM.com app
Damn scary ****!
Isnt yogurt/probiotics helps to manage the bacteria in your gut?

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Just want to add to some of the good points here by saying: tracking your food intake is IMO essential to any serious body composition change goal. If I don't know my TDEE and I don't know how many calories I consumed how do I know if I am truly eating enough, or too much? It has gotten so easy to do this with all the web sites and apps that I don't find any excuse not to track your diet compelling.

Medical420

Medical420

Awards
Damn scary ****!
Isnt yogurt/probiotics helps to manage the bacteria in your gut?
It helps maintain a neutral balance if you are healthy. But if you are too out of balance (acidic on the pH scale) it won't help you balance the bacteria (flora). These organisms strive on these conditions. So if you are already over burdened with them, the probiotics will do very little.

While on the paragone and cleanse I was taking the 50 billion culture enzyme/probiotic(FLORA) from renewlife at night.

Good point Marty

iPhone AM.com app

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
syntha6 has a bit more fat and less protein than others so if you're taking up to 6 scoop a day of that-you will get pretty full. pick certain meals you like and that are healthy-and cook 3x the normal amount of it eat the leftovers. get creative with your food. I was hooked on makin my own Chinese chicken and brown rice, then turkey tips and homemade sweet potato fries. lean hamburgers on whole wheat bun. chicken Caesar salad wraps on a wheat tortilla and light dressing. the list continues.

I started with the weight gainer shakes too- they didn't do a thing for me. they were disguisting and made me full. those shakes are for "meal replacement" and usually for post workout ONLY do to the dextrose or maltoxtrin in it. so replace your meal replacement shakes with....a meal!
Good feedback here & the meals you speak of makes the mouth water a bit.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

This. I have noticed tthe same thing and had the same problem as far as eating goes when I was in HS.
Do what Frank asked - post your diet... The man is extremely knowledgeable. Kind of a pain in the ass and a little abrasive ; ) but he knows nutrition.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Do what Frank asked - post your diet... The man is extremely knowledgeable. Kind of a pain in the ass and a little abrasive ; ) but he knows nutrition.
Agreed as well. I thought I used to eat like a beast till I realized I wasn't gaining, then I started eatig as hard as I lifted. You'll constantly feel full and bloated at first.

smatters

smatters

Awards
You know, now I'm concerned a bit. Three days ago, I came home after working out and I downed my post protein shake which was syntha-6 shake #2 within two hours from the first shake. I started to feel a little nausea and from there on, the feeling kept growing worse throughout the day until I finally had to vomit. I tried another protein shake later that night although I was still feeling sick to my stomach. Needless to say, I had to throw up again that night. The next day, I awoke fine. No symptoms until the evening came. I think I had a protein shake again and soon after, I felt like the symptom of nausea started to creep in until I couldn't take it anylonger and I had to self-induce myself to vomit again. Finally, last night again I was fine in the morning and afternoon. I drank another protein shake and left to the gym. I returned home and had another protein shake. Within an hour or two I started to feel nauseas again and it resulted in me throwing up again that evening, twice. So now I am really confused and left wondering if either I am lactose intolerant or perhaps something like what you are saying and cant process sugars which I believe is one of the reasons people are lactose intolerant. I think its one of the effects of lack of lactase. Anyhow, now I am trying to figure out how to get tested for diabetes as I don't have any health insurance.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
old milk? old nasty protein shaker? too many shakes altogether? could be something more simple

what about other dairy products?

and if you're really worried, consult a doc

uvawahoowa

Awards

Could not agree more

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
hahaha.. Na, I am just getting old and grumpy.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
hahaha.. Na, I am just getting old and grumpy.
Old? Dude you're a little older than me. Better cut that ish out! When you want to smash a DC day in?

mls51112

mls51112

Awards
for that meatloaf recipe, put it in a casserole dish and put cut up red potatoes (skin on) and carrots (or whatever veggies you like) on the sides to soak up the juice.. the first 30 mins, keep it covered with foil to retain moisture and avoid burning.. then take off for the last 15 mins ;]

what are any other symptoms you have aside from throwing up? hope you get better!

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I do my meatloaf in a cupcake pan..less grease, cooks faster

do I lose man points for saying cupcake??

mls51112

mls51112

Awards
I do my meatloaf in a cupcake pan..less grease, cooks faster

do I lose man points for saying cupcake??
yes, you do. hahah.

steak taco

steak taco

Awards
My wife does the same thing with meatloaf in cupcake pan. **** works good.

smatters

smatters

Awards
for that meatloaf recipe, put it in a casserole dish and put cut up red potatoes (skin on) and carrots (or whatever veggies you like) on the sides to soak up the juice.. the first 30 mins, keep it covered with foil to retain moisture and avoid burning.. then take off for the last 15 mins ;]

what are any other symptoms you have aside from throwing up? hope you get better!
That's about it. Some grumbling in the stomach. I am starting to believe it is a lactose issue. I ate a protein bar, of course, casein and whey, and soon after started to hear my stomach grumble and started to feel like crap. I'm really bummed out about this and I even went to the store to buy some Lactase enzymes. Not trying anything dairy for a few days however.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Rippetoe had a saying that was referring tto his GOMAD philosophy for those that are lactose intolerant. I believe it went something like "buy some baby wipes, it's gonna get messy"

mls51112

mls51112

Awards
yeah, try an elimination diet.. that will help you figure it out :]

vassille

Awards
That's about it. Some grumbling in the stomach. I am starting to believe it is a lactose issue. I ate a protein bar, of course, casein and whey, and soon after started to hear my stomach grumble and started to feel like crap. I'm really bummed out about this and I even went to the store to buy some Lactase enzymes. Not trying anything dairy for a few days however.
Sounds like lactose problem. avoid casein stick with whey protein isolate.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lactose is the sugar from milk so how does avoiding casein protein help someone who is lactose intolerant?

vassille

Awards
Lactose is the sugar from milk so how does avoiding casein protein help someone who is lactose intolerant?
Casein has the lactose part that's what you are allergic to. THat;s basically the same as drinking milk.
Whey isolate has that part removed.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Casein has the lactose part that's what you are allergic to. THat;s basically the same as drinking milk.
Whey isolate has that part removed.
So how does ON micellar casein have 24g protein and 3g carbs just like the way? Casein protein is protein, lactose is sugar so I don't see how protein contains sugar....I'm gonna have to see some kind of backing to that.

Cows milk has more casein than whey content, I believe it's split 80/20 or something like that bit casein and lactose are not one and the same. A casein protein is just that, casein, not lactose. At least that's my understanding.

smatters

smatters

Awards
Yeah, I agree. Although, they recommended Muscle Milk brand because it is lactose free, however, my understanding is that casein does contain lactose in it. Anyhow, I also leavened that my blood type is O. If you haven't heard of that book, Eat Right For Your Blood Type, I suggest you check it out. Type O's don't do dairy well at all according to the book. Neither beans. It's an interesting concept. The reason for staying away from beans for type O is because the lectin in the beans causes the hairs that absorb nutrients in the intestines to stop absorbing, so basically it's like eating without truly benefiting to its full potential. And I was downing more beans than should be legal.

smatters

smatters

Awards
It's true, casein does contain lactose from what I've read. I think that because I am lactose intolerant and the fact that I was drinking four protein shakes with milk, not water, that my body just decided to kick me in the balls. There's nothing like the feeling of wanting to throw up for several hours.

vassille

Awards
Yeah, I agree. Although, they recommended Muscle Milk brand because it is lactose free, however, my understanding is that casein does contain lactose in it. Anyhow, I also leavened that my blood type is O. If you haven't heard of that book, Eat Right For Your Blood Type, I suggest you check it out. Type O's don't do dairy well at all according to the book. Neither beans. It's an interesting concept. The reason for staying away from beans for type O is because the lectin in the beans causes the hairs that absorb nutrients in the intestines to stop absorbing, so basically it's like eating without truly benefiting to its full potential. And I was downing more beans than should be legal.
THanks for the suggestion i'll look into it. Beans do bother me but milk is much worse

Medical420

Medical420

Awards
THanks for the suggestion i'll look into it. Beans do bother me but milk is much worse
For my sugar and dairy problems I use Almond Breeze and Diesel Protein (stevia ftw). No reaction from either.

vassille

Awards
So how does ON micellar casein have 24g protein and 3g carbs just like the way? Casein protein is protein, lactose is sugar so I don't see how protein contains sugar....I'm gonna have to see some kind of backing to that.

Cows milk has more casein than whey content, I believe it's split 80/20 or something like that bit casein and lactose are not one and the same. A casein protein is just that, casein, not lactose. At least that's my understanding.
You are correct lactose is a type of sugar found in milk. What Im saying is that many companies do not purify their powder to remove all the sugar. Most casein and some whey for that matter has lactose , I guess is cheaper to not go the extra process of purification. I see protein powders for 20 bucks and others for 50. To me that means the price difference is prob due to additional purification steps. So, unless the label on the bottle say no sugar it has lactose. The protein powder such as whey protein isolate has that extra step to remove all sugars.
One brand I found to be lactose free is VPX zero carbs. It specifically says no sugar no lactose. I never have a problem digesting it even at higher dosages. Im not trying to plug VPX but it works for my specific need.

Not that I looked that hard but I have not seen a casein protein lactose free yet at least when I tried them a while ago. Maybe now days companies have it???... and if there is one I stand corrected.

vassille

Awards
For my sugar and dairy problems I use Almond Breeze and Diesel Protein (stevia ftw). No reaction from either.

yeap almond drink works
I drink the coconut milk works really good too.