5,000 calories too much?

Cokeboyz

Awards
I weigh 174. Would 5,000 cals be too much at my weight?

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I weigh 174. Would 5,000 cals be too much at my weight?
It most likely is, but there's a chance it might not be enough. It can vary greatly depending on your goals and daily activity.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
most likely yeah, unless your metabolism is super duper fast and after a while it would slow down and you would gain it back, assuming your doing this naturally without any thyroidals. the average professional bodybuilder eats between 3 and 5 thousand calorie diet

It all depends how intense your training is, how often you train, how much physical activity you are doing( a guy who sits on his ass all day needs less obviously than a guy who works 12 hour shifts on the line standing packing boxes)

I am at 220, 11% bodyfat , according to the inbody520 machine (I make sure I stay overall lean) and a moderately active guy and if I go over 3000-3200 I start gaining too much body fat going towards 225. That said, the leaner you are and more muscle you have you need the calories to support the muscle. For me to maintain my weight 3000

I have been up to 250 lbs with 18-20% bodyfat and I thought I was still somewhat lean at the time. its much better to stay leaner because you can only gain muscle at a certain rate-naturally. Hormonals it changes a bit and still the same concepts apply.

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
I say start at about 2500kcals and add 200-300 a week untill you start seeing gains. There are no magic number and just because one is big doesnt make it right... make sure these are good calories

jerrysiii

jerrysiii

Awards
  • Established
You also will need to weigh and measure everything you eat. There is no way to accurately determine your energy intake otherwise. By estimating you could easily be off 500 kcal per day.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Depends upon your goals, your training, other stats of yours.

vassille

Awards
Your statement is no better than saying how many drinks do I need to get drunk...idk everyone is different

loganchristop

Awards
5k kcals at your weight is surely an overkill.

I had some friends try 5-7k kcals at 170 and they gained 10 pounds in 1 month but mostly fat..