postworkout window. Finish this argument for me guys

ThunderHumper

Banned
Awards
ok so weve all heard about this whole 90 minute crap. personally i think its supplement company bull**** to help sell their protein. but i just read in my nasm book that eating postworkout protein and carbohydrates will increase recovery, increase protein synthesis, thus maximise gains. ok i agree with that no problem, but then it fed me this crap

"meal-replacement formula can be absorbed quickly owing to being predigested. food may take several ours to digest and absorb, missing the window"

so according to the National Academy of Sports Medecine, we only got 90 minutes after exercise to "maximize gains" and food takes too long to digest, thus is ineffective.

i dont believe in a "90-minute window," what about the rest of you? and if anyone can show me studies proving or disproving this, id greatly apreciate it

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
It's pathetic bro-science, post workout the body stays anabolic for around 24 hours...

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
I don't know where you get your information Celorza but it's 100% true.
Jstor databases for University Research Documents, hm...pubmed , mr.cooper69, google.com , and many other means of encyclopedic knowledge.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
But is there something to be said about the exploiting the effects of Glut-4 translocation which is initiated by a training stimulus? Would consuming more calories post work-out yield a more favourable change in body composition than consuming the calories at a different time of day. Anybody know the timeframe before glut-4 returns to its normal location after a weights session?

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
But is there something to be said about the exploiting the effects of Glut-4 translocation which is initiated by a training stimulus? Would consuming more calories post work-out yield a more favourable change in body composition than consuming the calories at a different time of day. Anybody know the timeframe before glut-4 returns to its normal location after a weights session?
Glut-4 can be stimulated (according to what I have read and understood) by timing the carbohydrate intake and caloric intake during the day. That is in a sense the whole purpose of Carb Backloading or actually Intermittent Fasting , where you have the majority of your caloric intake (and carb intake) later in the day and post workout. This could also be manipulated by timed insulin and leucine spikes in the bloodstream. Again it's just my understanding of it.

ChainLink

Awards
Marketing really is amazing in how effective it is at directing the masses. Even with data and understanding and loving IF, I still feel the need for a big pre or post workout shake with carbs. The mind has been conditioned and numbed by big flashy signs.lol

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
But what you start getting into for instance with attempting that is the issue that unless you can do sophisticated blood tests immediately after each workout, its hard to tell exactly how much in carbs is the right amount. Take in too much in that window where it is at the highest and you start adding fat, insulin insensitivity etc. Sure there is some bump right post workout where its a little higher, but i'd imagine the difference in absolutely maxing that period out isn't worth a pound every 6-8 weeks vs making sure nutrition is good all the time.

Mitch5

Mitch5

Awards
So if it stays anabolic for 24 hours would eating Pre-workout help you recover from the previous days workout lol? Just curious haha

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So if it stays anabolic for 24 hours would eating Pre-workout help you recover from the previous days workout lol? Just curious haha
the recovery improvement is all "feeling". Although studies show that people feel more recovered if they take in a bit more carbs immediately post workout, there was not any noticeable improvement in performance even over 6-8 weeks. So you'll feel better, and if you aren't particularly carb sensitive or are bulking then you may as well.

loganchristop

Awards
Well you can take it after everyone or you can test it yourself. For me, the optimum eating time after workout is 1-2 hours. That way I feel the best !

ThunderHumper

Banned
Awards
Well you can take it after everyone or you can test it yourself. For me, the optimum eating time after workout is 1-2 hours. That way I feel the best !
ive actually read that somewhere. it said that a meal 1-2 hours after the workout is the best way to take advantage of the growth hormone levels after a workout

diezel

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't worry about what's been "studied". You can research just about anything and find contradicting info. If a post workout shake or specific meal works great for you stick with it. Everyone's different. I'll personally do a shake immediately after, but sometimes I don't have time, and end up eating 2 hours or so later.

howwedo107

howwedo107

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'll stick with my nutella and peanut butter with a shake immediately post workout :)

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Not saying I don't drink a shake, but in the 70s how many lifters u think drank a shake after a work out, unless it was straight egg whites. :)

howwedo107

howwedo107

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not saying I don't drink a shake, but in the 70s how many lifters u think drank a shake after a work out, unless it was straight egg whites. :)
True but when you have 3g of test and 100mg of dbol is a shake really going to make a difference lol :p

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards