The "truth" about long term low-carb diets

mcs5309

Awards
(www) labrada.com/blog/lees-corner/the-truth-about-long-term-low-carb-diets

Does anyone agree with any of this, other than the T3 suppression? I don't. Maybe for him VLC diets don't work, otherwise all his reasons have been proven obsolete. Furthermore, he mentions nothing about using fat (AS IN KETO DIETS) as an energy source and keeps fats low.

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
(www) labrada.com/blog/lees-corner/the-truth-about-long-term-low-carb-diets

Does anyone agree with any of this, other than the T3 suppression? I don't. Maybe for him VLC diets don't work, otherwise all his reasons have been proven obsolete. Furthermore, he mentions nothing about using fat (AS IN KETO DIETS) as an energy source and keeps fats low.
Well it depends how you look at it. I think low carb diets can be done long term, if your definition of low carb is really low-starch. If you eat low starch but still eat plenty of vegetables like beans, carrots, brocoli etc, then yes its do able- 4 carrots and a banana keep you out of ketosis. Lee was talking about perminent ketosis, which would also stop one eating vegetables and nutrients that your body needs. This is why he said it can be done short term, but not long term.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Carbs are yummy! Enuff said ...

mcs5309

Awards
Well it depends how you look at it. I think low carb diets can be done long term, if your definition of low carb is really low-starch. If you eat low starch but still eat plenty of vegetables like beans, carrots, brocoli etc, then yes its do able- 4 carrots and a banana keep you out of ketosis. Lee was talking about perminent ketosis, which would also stop one eating vegetables and nutrients that your body needs. This is why he said it can be done short term, but not long term.
Good point if you include exemption of nearly all carbs, but I got that he was talking about pretty much any carbs <75g/day.

Jay888999

Jay888999

Banned
Awards
When i cut carbs i go about 75-100 a day. I drop weight quick! Ans u didnt read the article either :)..

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
Good point if you include exemption of nearly all carbs, but I got that he was talking about pretty much any carbs <75g/day.
Yes he was. Thats why he was saying you cant sustain low carb long term. It stops you eating vegetables and nutrients. That was the point i was making. Because I thoughta you disagreed with the article i was saying that if you do eat enough vegetables and nutrients, the chances are you wont be in the low carb danger level where your brain is deprived of glucose. Thats why i said low starch is sustainable long term. :)

mcs5309

Awards
Yes he was. Thats why he was saying you cant sustain low carb long term. It stops you eating vegetables and nutrients. That was the point i was making. Because I thoughta you disagreed with the article i was saying that if you do eat enough vegetables and nutrients, the chances are you wont be in the low carb danger level where your brain is deprived of glucose. Thats why i said low starch is sustainable long term. :)
Got it. Because I'm @ 18% bf, I do VLC paleo and IF, but eat veggies daily or at least a greens powder. I do starchy carbs pwo only (4x's/week).

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
the brain actually prefers ketones for fuel... its just hard to get used to them. also lee is old skoo... hes one of the favorite old timers but hes really outdated on this article.. its like something he wrote in the 80's regaurding the info hes layed out. when he diets he goes low fat moderate carbs and basic protien. sorry lee but your approach isnt in play these days my friend.

mcs5309

Awards
the brain actually prefers ketones for fuel... its just hard to get used to them. also lee is old skoo... hes one of the favorite old timers but hes really outdated on this article.. its like something he wrote in the 80's regaurding the info hes layed out. when he diets he goes low fat moderate carbs and basic protien. sorry lee but your approach isnt in play these days my friend.
Yes, totally agree on this, yet he still looks great for his age.

vassille

Awards

Well put. It took me months to get my brain to use ketones and feel ok. I suspect it was rusty since I was running mainly on glucose for so long.

NoLimitz

Awards
meh, low carb diets are pointless. Keto is not normal, i would only enter Keto in last weeks of contest prep