Diet Advice.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Hello brother's as you know I am all about diet before supplementation. So, now I come to ye as a humble man in need of advice; I have an upcoming Modeling gig and want to make the best of it ;).

Ok so up until last week I had been on a Lean Bulk that didn't result so perfectly Lean after all, yet I am Happy with my results. Went from 125.8lbs and 7% BF (and Looking like a Beanpole) , to a bit more Full complexion and with a bit of a "Bloat" issue that got resolved easily with EC, anyhow I ended at 142lbs, which was my morning weight today too (funny huh?). Anyways, I was following the previous Macro's and kCals:

-2700-3000 kCals on Workout Days (depending on how Hungry I got but mostly it stayed in the 3000 kCal Realm)

-160g of protein (140g were direct protein, rest would be trace that added up :/)
-70-75g fat
-450g~ carbs.

Rest/cardio days would involve cardio anywhere in the amount of 400-800 kCals (mostly between 600-800) and kCals of 2400 for the diet. Macros:

-160g protein
-70-75g fat
-250-280g carbs

That was the previous diet, and it was followed for some 4 months. I am planning a Recomp now, and would appreciate your input on this:

Current workout days:

2400 kCals consisting of:

-160g prot
-170-180g Fat
-Trace amounts of carbs and veggie carbs not going higher than 70g (or 50g really)

Rest/Cardio Days are:

2000 kCals Consisting of:
-160g Prot
-150g fat
-Trace/veggie carbs. (again no more than 70-50g)

Now don't think I have gone mental, The schedule is as such:

Following Dave Tate's Periodization Bible for Wendler's 5/3/1. (5/3/1 info: A Hardcore Look At Wendler's 5/3/1 Powerlifting Routine | Muscle & Strength)

Monday:OHP + 20 minute Cardio PWO ( No carb day )

Tuesday:Deadlift + 20 minute Cardio PWO (Carb up day**** will explain this macro's below)

Wednesday:1 hour of cardio, 20-25 minutes HIIT and the rest is just LISS. (No carb day)

Thursday:Bench Press + 20 minute Cardio PWO (No carb day)

Friday:Squat + 20 minute cardio PWO (Carb up day****)

Saturday:1 hour cardio, 20-25 minutes HIIT the rest of the hour is LISS (No Carb Day)

Sunday: Rest Day (No carb day)

Carb up day Diet:

2400 kCals consisting of:

160g protein
60-65g fat
300g carbs

Now here are the questions:
-Will trying to go Low carb Help me Recomp in time for Black Friday?
-Carb ups are fine 2x a week OR is it better for it to be once a week?
-Should My carb ups be on OHP/BP day so my Glycogen stores can be full for Deadlift/Squat days?
-Would going straight up with just carbs and normal level of fats (.45-.5g of fat ED and carbs as needed for caloric allotment) be better for me?
-Comments and all, gladly appreciated!

Thanks a lot for the helps guys :). Just looking to keep the most of the mass I can, but I need to shed out fat, so shoot away! BTW I will be using ECY stack throughout all this 12 weeks...I know its not normal to pass the 8 weeks on stims, but I have come to know my body and 12 weeks on EC is my limit. Of course, clean diet, no booze, no smoking (quit 3 months ago and havent relapsed :woohoo:) and no distractions or excuses, I am very thorough in my cuts, but if I cut now I will lose most of the little progress I have done! So help out please :D! As always, food is MUCH more preferred than powders!

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Hump, i mean bump!

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
Could treat it like a contest prep. Im not sure as to the rules about posting up a link from a competing website, so I will play it safe and just say google Layne Norton peak week. Pretty good informational segment on how to manipulate your macros/micros/water to make sure you come in looking your best possible on the day of the contest, or in your case the job. The carb up days for me have always gone based off of my own self-evaluation, not very scientific but it works for me. I should add though, I have been blessed and am able to keep my carb intake pretty high with little spill over or fat gain, as long as I don't over do it. From a macro stand point i'd say what you have laid out looks good to me, as your knowledge base with respect to the science behind diet delves deeper then my own. One piece of advice I will give is, from a stand point of aesthetic, I wouldn't lock into it be ready to adapt and change things to keep your body moving in the direction you want. Sometimes more carbs are needed sometimes less its a whole lot of trial and error when it comes to finding the right combo and even then you've got to be ready to switch it up.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Could treat it like a contest prep. Im not sure as to the rules about posting up a link from a competing website, so I will play it safe and just say google Layne Norton peak week. Pretty good informational segment on how to manipulate your macros/micros/water to make sure you come in looking your best possible on the day of the contest, or in your case the job. The carb up days for me have always gone based off of my own self-evaluation, not very scientific but it works for me. I should add though, I have been blessed and am able to keep my carb intake pretty high with little spill over or fat gain, as long as I don't over do it. From a macro stand point i'd say what you have laid out looks good to me, as your knowledge base with respect to the science behind diet delves deeper then my own. One piece of advice I will give is, from a stand point of aesthetic, I wouldn't lock into it be ready to adapt and change things to keep your body moving in the direction you want. Sometimes more carbs are needed sometimes less its a whole lot of trial and error when it comes to finding the right combo and even then you've got to be ready to switch it up.
Thanks for the reply brother, I did find the article you mentioned thanks. Seems pretty useful as for the final touches and I'll definitely be putting it to use, specially since Layne is a master of this art completely, and I really trust your BodyBuilding knowledge. Now I usually am really a high carbing person keeping carbs anywhere from 200-450g depending if it is a rest or workout day and have had marvelous results indeed, just thought I might try something different now...Still trying to figure out if the carb ups should be once or 2x a week or not...guess this next few weeks will tell. As for helping preserve strength and muscle mass, diet is key and well thanks for the comment on Diet knowledge bro :), I'm also concerned about my training style of 5/3/1...wondering if just for this coming weeks I should switch to PHAT or not...(yes men grow smarter when they admit they are not always right) Seems pretty complete...yet I would miss dead lifting and it is really the only exercise where I have gotten good comments on form and on weight being handled haha.

Any other suggestions? Still a bit nervous about this haha

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Bump

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the reply brother, I did find the article you mentioned thanks. Seems pretty useful as for the final touches and I'll definitely be putting it to use, specially since Layne is a master of this art completely, and I really trust your BodyBuilding knowledge. Now I usually am really a high carbing person keeping carbs anywhere from 200-450g depending if it is a rest or workout day and have had marvelous results indeed, just thought I might try something different now...Still trying to figure out if the carb ups should be once or 2x a week or not...guess this next few weeks will tell. As for helping preserve strength and muscle mass, diet is key and well thanks for the comment on Diet knowledge bro :), I'm also concerned about my training style of 5/3/1...wondering if just for this coming weeks I should switch to PHAT or not...(yes men grow smarter when they admit they are not always right) Seems pretty complete...yet I would miss dead lifting and it is really the only exercise where I have gotten good comments on form and on weight being handled haha.

Any other suggestions? Still a bit nervous about this haha
Id play it day by day with the carb ups start twice a week and see how it goes, like you said only time will tell what will work best for you. Why would you have to stop dead lifting?!?!?! Keep them in no reason to drop them at all! The job is on black friday?

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Id play it day by day with the carb ups start twice a week and see how it goes, like you said only time will tell what will work best for you. Why would you have to stop dead lifting?!?!?! Keep them in no reason to drop them at all! The job is on black friday?
Yeah All night modeling poster boy kinda deal haha. I can either be at AB&F clothed and looking dandy for the ladies at the sale OR I can be payed 2x that and have a lot of phone numbers for some good times over the winter break by being there Shirtless and with AB&F pants ^_^!!! That and like 200 USD of my pick of clothing hahaha.

Well in the Simply Shredded it says it would be on the Power Lower Body days right? Now I would be ok with that, but on the speed days would I have to do Squats for speed sessions OR Powercleans? Thoughts?

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I tried the carb ups twice a week and it was ok, I had more success with 2 low, 1 moderate day.

I also learned that if your diet/training/cardio are in check, the day of the moderate carb days doesn't matter much.

My low days I just had 1/2 grapefruit with breakfast and a bit higher fats and on moderate days I had about 30gr carbs with 3 meals and brought fat down.

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
Yeah All night modeling poster boy kinda deal haha. I can either be at AB&F clothed and looking dandy for the ladies at the sale OR I can be payed 2x that and have a lot of phone numbers for some good times over the winter break by being there Shirtless and with AB&F pants ^_^!!! That and like 200 USD of my pick of clothing hahaha.

Well in the Simply Shredded it says it would be on the Power Lower Body days right? Now I would be ok with that, but on the speed days would I have to do Squats for speed sessions OR Powercleans? Thoughts?
Yup lower body power days is where I would put it. You could do squats, any of the olympic lifts or progressions, rack pulls, (I like these with bands on the speed days). I have gotten creative before and included weighted plyometrics, I've never really been one to follow programs to a T at all times. I like to cater them to myself and my style of training.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
I tried the carb ups twice a week and it was ok, I had more success with 2 low, 1 moderate day.

I also learned that if your diet/training/cardio are in check, the day of the moderate carb days doesn't matter much.

My low days I just had 1/2 grapefruit with breakfast and a bit higher fats and on moderate days I had about 30gr carbs with 3 meals and brought fat down.
That sounds actually fantastic, I am real carb muncher haha and had great success once in Carb Cycling with Moderate high and no carb days...I should give this a go too for some weeks to see if it still works! W.E. I can do to keep mass I'll do so! :p Thanks DW!

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Yup lower body power days is where I would put it. You could do squats, any of the olympic lifts or progressions, rack pulls, (I like these with bands on the speed days). I have gotten creative before and included weighted plyometrics, I've never really been one to follow programs to a T at all times. I like to cater them to myself and my style of training.
Hm I have never tried Plyometrics at all...any good info on it you might have at hand? I read I might need them a lot if I ever expect to become an amateur Power Lifter.

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
Hm I have never tried Plyometrics at all...any good info on it you might have at hand? I read I might need them a lot if I ever expect to become an amateur Power Lifter.
http://www.exrx.net/Lists/PowerExercises.html

Looks interesting

http://www.combine360.com/CombineTraining

I am certified through under armour and the combine 360 program, this is a great resource for sports performance figured I would throw it in with the first link, some good info and exercises.

Edit: Here is a study done on the effects of plyo's:

http://www.edulife.com.br/dados\Artigos\Educacao Fisica\Treinamento Desportivo\Acute Effects of Plyometric Exercise on Maximum.pdf

More info:

http://www.edulife.com.br/dados\Artigos\Educacao Fisica\Treinamento Desportivo\Review Combined Weight Training.pdf

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
http://www.exrx.net/Lists/PowerExercises.html

Looks interesting

http://www.combine360.com/CombineTraining

I am certified through under armour and the combine 360 program, this is a great resource for sports performance figured I would throw it in with the first link, some good info and exercises.

Edit: Here is a study done on the effects of plyo's:

http://www.edulife.com.br/dados\Artigos\Educacao Fisica\Treinamento Desportivo\Acute Effects of Plyometric Exercise on Maximum.pdf

More info:

http://www.edulife.com.br/dados\Artigos\Educacao Fisica\Treinamento Desportivo\Review Combined Weight Training.pdf
Damn! That looks awesome thanks brother! I was actually told I might need to include more Jump exercises to help my Squat, Deadlift and Cleans! Problem I have really is located in the..."Explosion" I have little to no explosion :/ and I am going to need that haha. I'll read this up today actually, it's my rest-mental training day!

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
Damn! That looks awesome thanks brother! I was actually told I might need to include more Jump exercises to help my Squat, Deadlift and Cleans! Problem I have really is located in the..."Explosion" I have little to no explosion :/ and I am going to need that haha. I'll read this up today actually, it's my rest-mental training day!
I hear you I have grown very fond of reading studies myself, always learning something new. I am on rest too but I generally always find myself out on the bike even on my rest days lol.

"Explosion" = Your new best friend:
http://www.power-systems.com/p-3336-strength-bands.aspx

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
I hear you I have grown very fond of reading studies myself, always learning something new. I am on rest too but I generally always find myself out on the bike even on my rest days lol.

"Explosion" = Your new best friend:
http://www.power-systems.com/p-3336-strength-bands.aspx
Should have seen me this morning haha, woke up at 6am and by 7:30 I was already out running haha 6~miles in 1 hour. I find cardio in rest days most beneficial actually, specially for detoxing and health benefits.
I've seen lots of people use bands here on the forums actually...though never at my gym :blink: I'll have to look for some videos and Guides for them I guess, specially for the Bench and Squat...for some reason those 2 are giving the most trouble...

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
Should have seen me this morning haha, woke up at 6am and by 7:30 I was already out running haha 6~miles in 1 hour. I find cardio in rest days most beneficial actually, specially for detoxing and health benefits.
I've seen lots of people use bands here on the forums actually...though never at my gym :blink: I'll have to look for some videos and Guides for them I guess, specially for the Bench and Squat...for some reason those 2 are giving the most trouble...
Damn I haven't run 6 miles or more in years, used to run 8-10 every other day when i was wrestling but that is long since gone. I stick to my bike now, easier on my knees with my weight. My gf and I did a 42 mile ride 3 weeks ago, last 3 miles was the worst.

The bands make a huge difference with speed and power especially through your sticking points. I always use a bit of chain training from time to time got 100 lbs worth of chains I throw on bench, squat and deads.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Rubbed for thoughts. I mean subbed.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Threads got some good knowledge and links. You're routine, while different from my own (different training goals) I like the fact you do a tonne of cardio. I love cardio, especially LISS as opposed to HIIT. Mainly to improve my RHR and aerobic capacity, whereas I just use HIIT for max power and in the hopes of increasing my anaerobic threshold.

I never "cut" directly unless i'm visibly overweight; but instead I drop BF% while mainitaining weight / slightly increasing lean muscle mass (sorta like recomp I guess) But I do this just by lowering carbs on W/O days and eating above maintainence and high carbing but eating below maintainence on rest days to limit fat storage. It seems to work well for me. On the bike I try keep RPM around 65-70 for 40 minutes with a 10 minute warm up at low intensity beforehand and a 10 minute cool down low intensity afterward (hour total) at least 3 times P/W, but usually 4 times P/W.
This approach works very well for me and I see great results.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Get the short bands from EFS for bench and deads.