tired after breakfast

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. tired after breakfast


    Hey guys, I have something odd that happens. The past 2-3 year I can have a full nights sleep, wake up feeling fine, eat breakfast, then about 30-45 minutes later be so tired I barely function. Luckily I am self employed and work at home so I can nap, but a nap after waking up from a nights sleep is weird.

    It isn't a normal sleep either. If I wake up I can barely move, as if I have sleep paralysis or something. That only happens after my first meal.

    No other meal effects me like that, just breakfast.

    It doesn't matter what I eat and macro's seem not to matter. Today I ate eggs and cheese (skipped carbs). I still feel asleep.

    I have had bloodwork. Everything is normal (other than slightly elevated cholesterol). My blood sugar checks out fine.

    I wake up at 5:30 am and generally fall back asleep about 7 am. Sometime between 10-10:30 it is like someone clicks a switch and I'm fine again...albeit maybe a little confused for a bit.


    Has anyone heard of this kind of thing before? I can't afford to keep going to the doctor and getting poked and prodded.


  2. Did you have your cortisol measured? You might want to do a day of taking saliva samples throughout the day. I did this and found that my cortisol output dropped below normal around 2:00pm, the reason for my excessive afternoon lethargy.
    My parents created my body, in which I create my mind. I will honor them, by developing both to their utmost potential.
    •   
       


  3. Quote Originally Posted by bigrobbierob View Post
    Hey guys, I have something odd that happens. The past 2-3 year I can have a full nights sleep, wake up feeling fine, eat breakfast, then about 30-45 minutes later be so tired I barely function. Luckily I am self employed and work at home so I can nap, but a nap after waking up from a nights sleep is weird.

    It isn't a normal sleep either. If I wake up I can barely move, as if I have sleep paralysis or something. That only happens after my first meal.

    No other meal effects me like that, just breakfast.

    It doesn't matter what I eat and macro's seem not to matter. Today I ate eggs and cheese (skipped carbs). I still feel asleep.

    I have had bloodwork. Everything is normal (other than slightly elevated cholesterol). My blood sugar checks out fine.

    I wake up at 5:30 am and generally fall back asleep about 7 am. Sometime between 10-10:30 it is like someone clicks a switch and I'm fine again...albeit maybe a little confused for a bit.


    Has anyone heard of this kind of thing before? I can't afford to keep going to the doctor and getting poked and prodded.
    Normally this happens after a high fat meal...like eggs and cheese...

  4. Try fasting bro
    Email me for free prodigy samples
    [email protected]
    www.pni-online.com

  5. Quote Originally Posted by howwedo107
    Try fasting bro
    Yeah x2
    •   
       


  6. Quote Originally Posted by howwedo107
    Try fasting bro
    Probably a better first step lol.
    My parents created my body, in which I create my mind. I will honor them, by developing both to their utmost potential.

  7. Happens to me after I have a protein shake in the morning. Has worked out better for me to just stick with caffeine in the morn, maybe some BCAAs and hold out until noon to eat.

  8. Do you usally workout in morning?If so your body might be holding on to those cals to get you though the day.

    If i eat to less cals everytime i eat any meal i shut down also.
    I actually started to wotkout in morning before and meals just some amino's and a 1/2 scoop of no shotgun for a caffinee kick and works well.
    I wake and hit the weights or track within 45-60min.Saves alot of time not waiting for food to digest.

  9. Thanks guys...I'll try to answer some of these real quick.....

    my cortisol was tested at my request....normal. The only abnormal thing found was a slightly elevated cholesterol.

    The only reason I mentioned eggs and cheese is that is what I ate that day in an attempt to avoid carbs in case I was getting an insulin spike and drop. If I ate Chex cereal alone the same thing happens. Heck it even happened when I ate a plate of cherry tomatoes, broccoli, and celery.

    I used to work out in the morning, but stopped because the tiredness interfered. I work out at home and am generally alone at that time....not really a good time to potentially injure myself.

    I'm at the point the doctor wants to shove things either up or down but those tests run 1.5-2K and I don't have it ( as I said, self employed artist)

    I may try fasting to see what happens....but I would have to eat eventually.

  10. I'm sorry I didn't get back. My wife has taken ill and she is my main area of concern atm.

    I never have figured what makes me tired yet, but I haven't been worried about it as much the past month or so.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by bigrobbierob View Post
    I'm sorry I didn't get back. My wife has taken ill and she is my main area of concern atm.

    I never have figured what makes me tired yet, but I haven't been worried about it as much the past month or so.
    Hope your wife is better now....

    You should try waking up, immediately take stims, and then do 20-30 mins of fast paced cardio, all while on an empty stomach. I used to feel the same way in the mornings and had to change my eating habits/ body fat before I saw changes. I noticed your 5'10" and 240lbs, are your carrying more fat than you should or is most of that muscle?? I ask because I used to be overweight and always needed a nap after I ate breakfast as well.

  12. Quote Originally Posted by Miss Q View Post
    Hope your wife is better now....
    Thanks.

    With out all the detail and to keep it short I will just say she has a biopsy scheduled the 9th.

    Needless to say my mind is a mess atm with worry and my other problems seem much less important.

  13. Are you currently on any anti-depressants or medications for attention deficit? Studies have shown depleted levels of magnesium, cortisol and melatonin in individuals that suffer from insomnia and/or take the above medications. Symptoms of those specific nutrients deficiencies can cause unexplained lethargy and muscle weakness. Melatonin is responsible for regulating normal sleep patterns and magnesium is an essential mineral that works in cellular activity, response, muscle, and neuron synopsis. I suggest start supplementing your nutrition with daily average doses of melatonin and magnesium.
    Another thing you might want to check into if you disagree with the above is food sensitivities and allergies. You can be sensitive to dairy or other foods in your meals at breakfast. Believe it or not, unexplained lethargy is also a symptom of a food allergy.

  14. Quote Originally Posted by MuscleGauge1 View Post
    Are you currently on any anti-depressants or medications for attention deficit?
    actually yes. I had issues when I first started them getting tired and the Dr told me to take them at night.

    suffer from insomnia
    I do that too. Oddly I can't sleep at night until 1 am or so. I wake up fine but the first meal is like clicking a switch where I go full retard until I take a nap.


    Another thing you might want to check into if you disagree with the above is food sensitivities and allergies. You can be sensitive to dairy or other foods in your meals at breakfast. Believe it or not, unexplained lethargy is also a symptom of a food allergy.
    I tried wheat free after reading "Wheat Belly".


    Just as a side not....today I took a dose of Alphamine when I woke up and had a protein shake about 2 hours later....that's been an hour and 1/2 and so far I'm not tired.

  15. Quote Originally Posted by Miss Q View Post
    I noticed your 5'10" and 240lbs, are your carrying more fat than you should or is most of that muscle?? I ask because I used to be overweight and always needed a nap after I ate breakfast as well.
    I missed this earlier...got to thinking about my wife....

    anyway, I'm my best about 210-215. I have a powerlifter belly right now! lol

  16. Quote Originally Posted by bigrobbierob View Post
    I missed this earlier...got to thinking about my wife....

    anyway, I'm my best about 210-215. I have a powerlifter belly right now! lol

    No prob bigrob- Again, I am sorry to hear your wife is sick and sincerely hope she recovers soon. I saw someone bump this thread and I responded because I used to have the same issue. Like you said....you have other issues to take care of right now, understandbly. Please keep us posted on her situation.

  17. it's somewhat complicated but it seems to stem from insulin levels triggering some neurological imbalances.
    Changing the way you eat may help if you can keep insulin release low.

  18. updating

    I'm still trying to narrow things down.

    I had a protein/creatine/dextrose shake yesterday morning to see how it effected me....sure enough I got tired.

    That makes things sound blood sugar related.

    I ate a few slices pizza with the grandkids today...lips started itching..then skin got itchy...then got so tired I was barely able to keep an eye on them...as soon as they left I fell asleep for an hour and 1/2 and woke up fine. I wonder if it is blood sugar as well or something else? Why did I get so itchy? Sugar doesn't do that does it?

    fwfw...wife's biopsy was OK...they found a spot on here lung in an xray that was inconclusive and she had a CT scan today....needless to say all the money is going to get her seen to so I can't see a Dr myself yet.

    edit...wife just got home from from work and said I was "all red"

  19. it does sound like somekind of sugar issue and allergies. Look into any allergic reactions you might have to different foods. Log everything down you eat and how it affects you.

  20. Hypoglycemia???

  21. Quote Originally Posted by Miss Q View Post
    Hypoglycemia???
    I spent a large part of yesterday evening researching....it sounds like reactive hypoglycemia.

    I read the symptoms and that sounds like me...and it also explains why when I borrowed my stepdaughters blood sugar tester I always tested fine.

    I may have to do a keto diet whether I like it or not!

  22. Do you guys think something like PSlin and/or alpha lipoic acid would help or hinder?

  23. Alpha lipoic acid I've used in the past. I dont remember if it did anything or not
    Never tried pslin and im not sure how it works to be honest

  24. Quote Originally Posted by bigrobbierob View Post
    I spent a large part of yesterday evening researching....it sounds like reactive hypoglycemia.

    I read the symptoms and that sounds like me...and it also explains why when I borrowed my stepdaughters blood sugar tester I always tested fine.

    I may have to do a keto diet whether I like it or not!
    Prob your best approach to try keto. Im with you on that

  25. 'm a keto guy now, I love it. However, when I do go back to consuming carbs ill be using AP. I've used it for years and actually have BG readings showing it helped. I'll try and link the thread....
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative

  26. The more I research, the more I wonder how long I had this and never knew it. Back when I was an avid lifter I followed the eating every 2-3 hours protocol (at least drank a protein shake). That is also how you cope with hypoglycemia. Not to mention working out increases sensitivity to insulin.

    The past few years my lifestyle is more "normal" and I am no where near as active. Injuries and a new at home business slowed me down.

    Quote Originally Posted by Distilled Water View Post
    After reading that I think pslin would be a BAD idea. It looks like some people developed hypoglycemic symptoms...since I (possibly) have reactive hypoglycemia anyway, it makes me think I'd get worse.

  27. I used to eat sugary ceral for breakfast and when I got to class had a hard time staying awake. I eventually got tested for Hypoglycemia and tested positive. Fast forward.....20 yrs and as I started eating healthier and working out regularly it's now completely under control. I eat alot of protein, veggies and some complex carbs. I would start your day off w/ lean protein or a shake, some cardio or weight's and then eat a meal later.....

  28. Feeling tired depends on the amount you take in. Eat whole grains, fruits, nut and vegetables; these keeps you away from feeling tired!!

  29. Quote Originally Posted by emersonkelly View Post
    Eat whole grains, fruits, nut and vegetables; these keeps you away from feeling tired!!
    ....but they don't.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Feel really tired after lifting weights
    By bulk up man in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-02-2012, 06:09 PM
  2. Feeling tired after waking up
    By Hope in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-15-2012, 03:04 PM
  3. Tired after eating..
    By tubbednova in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 02-22-2011, 08:17 PM
  4. Extremely tired after takind ECA stack?? wtf
    By schwellington in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-30-2010, 05:07 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-23-2009, 08:21 PM
Log in
Log in