tired after breakfast

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys, I have something odd that happens. The past 2-3 year I can have a full nights sleep, wake up feeling fine, eat breakfast, then about 30-45 minutes later be so tired I barely function. Luckily I am self employed and work at home so I can nap, but a nap after waking up from a nights sleep is weird.

It isn't a normal sleep either. If I wake up I can barely move, as if I have sleep paralysis or something. That only happens after my first meal.

No other meal effects me like that, just breakfast.

It doesn't matter what I eat and macro's seem not to matter. Today I ate eggs and cheese (skipped carbs). I still feel asleep.

I have had bloodwork. Everything is normal (other than slightly elevated cholesterol). My blood sugar checks out fine.

I wake up at 5:30 am and generally fall back asleep about 7 am. Sometime between 10-10:30 it is like someone clicks a switch and I'm fine again...albeit maybe a little confused for a bit.

Has anyone heard of this kind of thing before? I can't afford to keep going to the doctor and getting poked and prodded.

rambofireball

rambofireball

Awards
  • Established
Did you have your cortisol measured? You might want to do a day of taking saliva samples throughout the day. I did this and found that my cortisol output dropped below normal around 2:00pm, the reason for my excessive afternoon lethargy.

uvawahoowa

Awards
Hey guys, I have something odd that happens. The past 2-3 year I can have a full nights sleep, wake up feeling fine, eat breakfast, then about 30-45 minutes later be so tired I barely function. Luckily I am self employed and work at home so I can nap, but a nap after waking up from a nights sleep is weird.

It isn't a normal sleep either. If I wake up I can barely move, as if I have sleep paralysis or something. That only happens after my first meal.

No other meal effects me like that, just breakfast.

It doesn't matter what I eat and macro's seem not to matter. Today I ate eggs and cheese (skipped carbs). I still feel asleep.

I have had bloodwork. Everything is normal (other than slightly elevated cholesterol). My blood sugar checks out fine.

I wake up at 5:30 am and generally fall back asleep about 7 am. Sometime between 10-10:30 it is like someone clicks a switch and I'm fine again...albeit maybe a little confused for a bit.

Has anyone heard of this kind of thing before? I can't afford to keep going to the doctor and getting poked and prodded.
Normally this happens after a high fat meal...like eggs and cheese...

owlicks

owlicks

Awards
Happens to me after I have a protein shake in the morning. Has worked out better for me to just stick with caffeine in the morn, maybe some BCAAs and hold out until noon to eat.

67nova

Awards
Do you usally workout in morning?If so your body might be holding on to those cals to get you though the day.

If i eat to less cals everytime i eat any meal i shut down also.
I actually started to wotkout in morning before and meals just some amino's and a 1/2 scoop of no shotgun for a caffinee kick and works well.
I wake and hit the weights or track within 45-60min.Saves alot of time not waiting for food to digest.

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys...I'll try to answer some of these real quick.....

my cortisol was tested at my request....normal. The only abnormal thing found was a slightly elevated cholesterol.

The only reason I mentioned eggs and cheese is that is what I ate that day in an attempt to avoid carbs in case I was getting an insulin spike and drop. If I ate Chex cereal alone the same thing happens. Heck it even happened when I ate a plate of cherry tomatoes, broccoli, and celery.

I used to work out in the morning, but stopped because the tiredness interfered. I work out at home and am generally alone at that time....not really a good time to potentially injure myself.

I'm at the point the doctor wants to shove things either up or down :shock: but those tests run 1.5-2K and I don't have it ( as I said, self employed artist)

I may try fasting to see what happens....but I would have to eat eventually.

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
I'm sorry I didn't get back. My wife has taken ill and she is my main area of concern atm.

I never have figured what makes me tired yet, but I haven't been worried about it as much the past month or so.

Miss Q

Miss Q

Awards
I'm sorry I didn't get back. My wife has taken ill and she is my main area of concern atm.

I never have figured what makes me tired yet, but I haven't been worried about it as much the past month or so.
Hope your wife is better now....

You should try waking up, immediately take stims, and then do 20-30 mins of fast paced cardio, all while on an empty stomach. I used to feel the same way in the mornings and had to change my eating habits/ body fat before I saw changes. I noticed your 5'10" and 240lbs, are your carrying more fat than you should or is most of that muscle?? I ask because I used to be overweight and always needed a nap after I ate breakfast as well.

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
Hope your wife is better now....
Thanks.

With out all the detail and to keep it short I will just say she has a biopsy scheduled the 9th.

Needless to say my mind is a mess atm with worry and my other problems seem much less important.

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Are you currently on any anti-depressants or medications for attention deficit? Studies have shown depleted levels of magnesium, cortisol and melatonin in individuals that suffer from insomnia and/or take the above medications. Symptoms of those specific nutrients deficiencies can cause unexplained lethargy and muscle weakness. Melatonin is responsible for regulating normal sleep patterns and magnesium is an essential mineral that works in cellular activity, response, muscle, and neuron synopsis. I suggest start supplementing your nutrition with daily average doses of melatonin and magnesium.
Another thing you might want to check into if you disagree with the above is food sensitivities and allergies. You can be sensitive to dairy or other foods in your meals at breakfast. Believe it or not, unexplained lethargy is also a symptom of a food allergy.

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
Are you currently on any anti-depressants or medications for attention deficit?
actually yes. I had issues when I first started them getting tired and the Dr told me to take them at night.

suffer from insomnia
I do that too. Oddly I can't sleep at night until 1 am or so. I wake up fine but the first meal is like clicking a switch where I go full retard until I take a nap.

Another thing you might want to check into if you disagree with the above is food sensitivities and allergies. You can be sensitive to dairy or other foods in your meals at breakfast. Believe it or not, unexplained lethargy is also a symptom of a food allergy.
I tried wheat free after reading "Wheat Belly".

Just as a side not....today I took a dose of Alphamine when I woke up and had a protein shake about 2 hours later....that's been an hour and 1/2 and so far I'm not tired.

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
I noticed your 5'10" and 240lbs, are your carrying more fat than you should or is most of that muscle?? I ask because I used to be overweight and always needed a nap after I ate breakfast as well.
I missed this earlier...got to thinking about my wife....

anyway, I'm my best about 210-215. I have a powerlifter belly right now! lol

Miss Q

Miss Q

Awards
I missed this earlier...got to thinking about my wife....

anyway, I'm my best about 210-215. I have a powerlifter belly right now! lol

No prob bigrob- Again, I am sorry to hear your wife is sick and sincerely hope she recovers soon. I saw someone bump this thread and I responded because I used to have the same issue. Like you said....you have other issues to take care of right now, understandbly. Please keep us posted on her situation.

vassille

Awards
it's somewhat complicated but it seems to stem from insulin levels triggering some neurological imbalances.
Changing the way you eat may help if you can keep insulin release low.

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
updating

I'm still trying to narrow things down.

I had a protein/creatine/dextrose shake yesterday morning to see how it effected me....sure enough I got tired.

That makes things sound blood sugar related.

I ate a few slices pizza with the grandkids today...lips started itching..then skin got itchy...then got so tired I was barely able to keep an eye on them...as soon as they left I fell asleep for an hour and 1/2 and woke up fine. I wonder if it is blood sugar as well or something else? Why did I get so itchy? Sugar doesn't do that does it?

fwfw...wife's biopsy was OK...they found a spot on here lung in an xray that was inconclusive and she had a CT scan today....needless to say all the money is going to get her seen to so I can't see a Dr myself yet.

edit...wife just got home from from work and said I was "all red"

vassille

Awards
it does sound like somekind of sugar issue and allergies. Look into any allergic reactions you might have to different foods. Log everything down you eat and how it affects you.

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
Hypoglycemia???
I spent a large part of yesterday evening researching....it sounds like reactive hypoglycemia.

I read the symptoms and that sounds like me...and it also explains why when I borrowed my stepdaughters blood sugar tester I always tested fine.

I may have to do a keto diet whether I like it or not!

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
Do you guys think something like PSlin and/or alpha lipoic acid would help or hinder?

vassille

Awards
Alpha lipoic acid I've used in the past. I dont remember if it did anything or not
Never tried pslin and im not sure how it works to be honest

vassille

Awards
I spent a large part of yesterday evening researching....it sounds like reactive hypoglycemia.

I read the symptoms and that sounds like me...and it also explains why when I borrowed my stepdaughters blood sugar tester I always tested fine.

I may have to do a keto diet whether I like it or not!
Prob your best approach to try keto. Im with you on that

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
The more I research, the more I wonder how long I had this and never knew it. Back when I was an avid lifter I followed the eating every 2-3 hours protocol (at least drank a protein shake). That is also how you cope with hypoglycemia. Not to mention working out increases sensitivity to insulin.

The past few years my lifestyle is more "normal" and I am no where near as active. Injuries and a new at home business slowed me down.

After reading that I think pslin would be a BAD idea. It looks like some people developed hypoglycemic symptoms...since I (possibly) have reactive hypoglycemia anyway, it makes me think I'd get worse.

Miss Q

Miss Q

Awards
I used to eat sugary ceral for breakfast and when I got to class had a hard time staying awake. I eventually got tested for Hypoglycemia and tested positive. Fast forward.....20 yrs and as I started eating healthier and working out regularly it's now completely under control. I eat alot of protein, veggies and some complex carbs. I would start your day off w/ lean protein or a shake, some cardio or weight's and then eat a meal later.....

emersonkelly

Awards
Feeling tired depends on the amount you take in. Eat whole grains, fruits, nut and vegetables; these keeps you away from feeling tired!!

Miss Q

Miss Q

Awards
Are you planning on getting tested for Hypoglycemia?

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
Are you planning on getting tested for Hypoglycemia?
eventually.

I'm self employed. My wife has insurance. She had a ton of tests and a surgery and we still have to pay our share of that, so we are pretty tapped atm. I won't be able to get anything in for me into the budget until early next year.

From what I have read, my (potential) type would have me tested in a fasting state, eat, and test again when I feel bad so they can compare.

Miss Q

Miss Q

Awards
I gotcha.

Are you still lifting or doing any type of physical activity?? Why don't you post your diet for a few day's. I eventually corrected my issue over time but it took a complete lifestyle change to no longer be effected by Hypoglycemia. I hope your wife is feeling better!

TerriFreeman

Awards
Hello, you might want to change what you eat. Instead of eating cheese, butter, bread, you could switch to oats, fruit and juice. That'd definitely reduce your problem. Generally, your condition signifies that your body might not be getting enough sleep.Hope I helped :D

mls51112

mls51112

Awards
You can buy a testing kit.. I think I spent $20 on mine.

vassille

Awards
Hello, you might want to change what you eat. Instead of eating cheese, butter, bread, you could switch to oats, fruit and juice. That'd definitely reduce your problem. Generally, your condition signifies that your body might not be getting enough sleep.Hope I helped :D
What's the difference between cheese, butter, bread and Oats, fruit and juice in regards to hypoglycemia?
Just curious

WPChickDiesel

WPChickDiesel

Awards
I would still look into allergies after testing your glucose tolerance. I know I responded before about particular medications you could be on and the potential allergies. Have you given yourself a dairy free raw diet for at least seven days? You need to allow your body to fully get rid of whatever could be the culprit and then go another week just on a clean unprocessed and non dairy diet. You can assess what food trigger your symptoms easier this way by reintroducing them one at a time. Unexplained drowsiness is a rare symptom of a food allergy, so Id seriously check into that.
For quick at home tests you can go to the drug store and get glycemic strips or even test your blood with the same tools used for at home diabetic care.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
Updating:

Things I have learned from playing with my diet. Keto doesn't seem to help. I bought a few boxes of chopped sirloin (like Philly steak) and have been eating it with cheese. I still get tired.

I also tried 2 cinnamon/chromium picolinate capsules when I eat to see if I notice a change. Nothing.

I have also gone past breakfast....it seems I get tired after any time I eat....about an hour later and it last about 1-2 hours. It;s odd it I can be so tired I'm practically incapacitated then it is like someone flips a switch and I am fine.

I'm getting to where I dread eating because I know I won't be worth a damn afterwards....being a self employed artist and basically payed by the piece, it interferes with my money.

WPChickDiesel

WPChickDiesel

Awards
Updating:

Things I have learned from playing with my diet. Keto doesn't seem to help. I bought a few boxes of chopped sirloin (like Philly steak) and have been eating it with cheese. I still get tired.

I also tried 2 cinnamon/chromium picolinate capsules when I eat to see if I notice a change. Nothing.

I have also gone past breakfast....it seems I get tired after any time I eat....about an hour later and it last about 1-2 hours. It;s odd it I can be so tired I'm practically incapacitated then it is like someone flips a switch and I am fine.

I'm getting to where I dread eating because I know I won't be worth a damn afterwards....being a self employed artist and basically payed by the piece, it interferes with my money.
Okay bigrob...
you are still eating cheese...
I strongly suggest you clean your diet for at least a week or so, of absolutely no cheese, milk, dairy by products at all!!!
Also, are you buying your meat unprocessed? You mentioned it was boxed and presliced? Just trying to get to the bottom of what could be the culprit to your lethargy... :-/ I am passed the assumption that it's a glucose intolerance and strictly concerned that you are overseeing what sounds to be a reaction to a food sensitivity or allergy. I hope Im not making you even more anxious, as I know these things can be pestering. But I want you to really consider the detox style diet. Let me see if I can find the article I read on food sensitivity and the symptoms people suffer until they eliminate the food from their diets completely. brb :)

WPChickDiesel

WPChickDiesel

Awards
Here are a few helpful links that will go over some of what I've already discussed...
www ehow.com/about_5191665_allergies-cause-fatigue_
www ehow.com/how-does_5505473_causes-sudden-fatigue

This link is for inexpensive allergen testing you can do yourself without having to go to a doctor.
www biadiagnostics dot com

This link will direct you to a provider or physician who can administer the test
www alcat.com/alcattesting dot php

Keep me posted and good luck!

shawnshine

Awards
I'm surprised no one has mentioned digestive aids. I've had good luck with avoiding this post-meal zombie state by taking apple cider vinegar in water before meals, as well as badass digestive enzymes. My favorites are Now Foods Super Enzymes, because they contain Betaine HCl aka stomach acid. Might be worth a shot!

Xtremestrngth

Awards
Give us an example of what you usually have for breakfast. Do you drink any sort of caffeine or sugary juice?