NEED INPUT - ELEVATED BUN, URINE URIC ACID

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. I have been eating low-carb paleo and IF 18/6 for the last 6 months and have been able to reduce some bodyfat which was the goal. I havbe a long way to go, so I added keto to the mix in the last couple weeks, increasing fat to about 65%, protein 30%, and carbs 5%.

2 weeks prior to starting keto, my latest CMP showed elevated BUN (36 - ref range: 6-24), elevated BUN/Creatinine ratio (39 - ref range:9-20), and elevated urinary uric acid (1118.0 - ref range: 250.0-750.0). I also showed elevated serum calcium (10.9 - ref range: 8.7-10.2). My serum uric acid (UA), however, was normal (4.6 - ref range: 3.7-8.6) as is my creatinine (0.92 - ref range 0.76-1.27) and eGFR (95 - ref range >59). There is no protein in my urine. I do not have gout. These levels have gradually increased over the last 6 mos.

Just yesterday noticed blood pressure remained elevated all day despite my usual BP-lowering supps. First time ever they had zero effect. I wonder if the increased intake of fats (SFAs) on the keto/low carb diet are causing this, as I have changed nothing else perhaps by increasing total cholesterol?
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9021429
    but this contradicts that:
    http://weightoftheevidence.blogspot.. ..o-to-your.html

Or could this be the beginning stages of kidney dysfunction, as it goes hand-in-hand with hypertension?

According to this article, keto may help reduce BP, but may cause kidney stones, the very thing I'm trying to prevent from recurring:
    http://voices.yahoo.com/ketogenic-di...e-5349961.html

More on keto and stones:
    http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2010/11...kidney-stones/
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17621514
    http://paleohacks.com/questions/1484...#axzz26twJurzQ

And this excerpt from the Paul Jaminet link above explains my elevated uric acid as well:

Uric Acid Production
    One difference between a ketogenic (or zero-carb) diet and a normal diet is the high rate of protein metabolism. If both glucose and ketones are generated from protein, then over 150 g protein per day is consumed in gluconeogenesis and ketogenesis. This releases a substantial amount of nitrogen. While urea is the main pathway for nitrogen disposal, uric acid is the excretion pathway for 1% to 3% of nitrogen. [7]

This suggests that ketogenic dieters produce an extra 1 to 3 g/day uric acid from protein metabolism. A normal person excretes about 0.6 g/day. [8]

In addition to kidney stones, excess uric acid production may lead to gout. Some Atkins and low-carb Paleo dieters have contracted gout.

Perhaps I should cycle my protein intake as well as carbs? Increase fat even more?
    And what amount of water is recommended for low-carbers? Gallon/day?

I'm at a loss as to what else I can do.

Any feedback appreciated!

2. Lower your protein to 20% and increase fat to 75% and keep carbs to 5% . We do not need all that much protein is the fat that counts. Try it and see what you get I bet everything will normalize. Drop the IF it only adds stress to your body in this case.
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by vassille View Post
    Lower your protein to 20% and increase fat to 75% and keep carbs to 5% . We do not need all that much protein is the fat that counts. Try it and see what you get I bet everything will normalize. Drop the IF it only adds stress to your body in this case.
    I am new to keto as you may have guessed.

Questions for you:
    1) You don't see the majority of the diet as fat as being problematic with kidney function/BP then?
    2) How much water?
    3) CKD or TKD?
    4) The leangains IF is not a true 100% pure fast; 10-15g of BCAAs (and in my case, many other aminos) are consumed during the
    "fasting" window to prevent catabolism. Maybe a modified IF for less stress? Like do 16/8 instead of 18/6 and use a high BCAA whey protein as a pre-wo meal with some fat (25g pro/25g fat) perhaps?
    5) You don't think going below the 1g/lb of bodyweight for training 4x's/week will lose muscle?

4. Interested, I've been doing lean gains for a while and have recently moved to keto. I'll try and schedule some blood work for next week (2weeks keto & IF) we shall compare results.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative

5. Quote Originally Posted by Distilled Water View Post
    Interested, I've been doing lean gains for a while and have recently moved to keto. I'll try and schedule some blood work for next week (2weeks keto & IF) we shall compare results.
    Why'd you quit IF, how long were you on it, and what were your results? Just to temporarily switch up the routine? That's not a bad idea either, sort of like with cycling macros, training routines, stacks, supps, everything. Maybe cycle IF and keto every 6 mos?
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by mcs5309

Why'd you quit IF, how long were you on it, and what were your results? Just to temporarily switch up the routine? That's not a bad idea either, sort of like with cycling macros, training routines, stacks, supps, everything. Maybe cycle IF and keto every 6 mos?
    I'm still doing IF, just in the form of keto. I'm getting into ketosis now but I will eventually add an intra shake (2 meals pre training) I did regular IF for 4 weeks before switching to a keto form. Verdict is still out for me, but from this, I can more easily transition into a normal CKD/TKD hybrid (for me).

7. Quote Originally Posted by Distilled Water View Post
    I'm still doing IF, just in the form of keto. I'm getting into ketosis now but I will eventually add an intra shake (2 meals pre training) I did regular IF for 4 weeks before switching to a keto form. Verdict is still out for me, but from this, I can more easily transition into a normal CKD/TKD hybrid (for me).
    Got it. Sounds like you want to really lean out like me. What's your bf? I've been on a mission for the last few years to get my bf down. I need to drop my bf by 50% - stuck @ 19% - that's about 16lbs of fat. Trying it all - natural for now. Have been researching into TRT and peptides for quite some time but never took the plunge because I had other issues to address.

8. Quote Originally Posted by mcs5309

Got it. Sounds like you want to really lean out like me. What's your bf? I've been on a mission for the last few years to get my bf down. I need to drop my bf by 50% - stuck @ 19% - that's about 16lbs of fat. Trying it all - natural for now. Have been researching into TRT and peptides for quite some time but never took the plunge because I had other issues to address.
    PM me, don't want to derail the thread.

9. Quote Originally Posted by mcs5309 View Post
    I am new to keto as you may have guessed.

Questions for you:
    1) You don't see the majority of the diet as fat as being problematic with kidney function/BP then?
    2) How much water?
    3) CKD or TKD?
    4) The leangains IF is not a true 100% pure fast; 10-15g of BCAAs (and in my case, many other aminos) are consumed during the
    "fasting" window to prevent catabolism. Maybe a modified IF for less stress? Like do 16/8 instead of 18/6 and use a high BCAA whey protein as a pre-wo meal with some fat (25g pro/25g fat) perhaps?
    5) You don't think going below the 1g/lb of bodyweight for training 4x's/week will lose muscle?
    It's ok
    1. No. There is no problem with fat digestion and kidneys and BP from personal experience or otherwise. You can eat all the good fat you want within the caloric requirement for your goal. I presume you know what fat to eat.
    2. Drink when thirsty.
    3. In your case I'd stick with low carbs mostly from vegetables and the macros ratios I stated above. Once a week have a cheat meal 100g of carbs approx.
    4.Fasting might just create the possibility of not eating enough calories and your body will go in starvation mode hence the reason lack of weight loss. I dont see the need to fast at this point. the low carb diet will work on its own for fat loss.
    5. No. Reason you keeping protein at 20% is that it is shown from studies that in the abundance of fat intake our bodies use vey little protein to keep muscle mass. Is when fat is cut that our bodies burn protein for energy. This is a big fact to keep in mind. I use 1g/lb of body weight to mantain. For you to lose you need to deep below that.
    THe macros I outlined is a start. Depending on the success adjustments may be need it. If you very active your caloric intake should be minimum 2500. If recovery from the gym is sub par increase calories 300cal at the time till you recover well. Without really seeing you im taking a best guess but do not cut the caloric intake too low.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Distilled Water View Post
    Interested, I've been doing lean gains for a while and have recently moved to keto. I'll try and schedule some blood work for next week (2weeks keto & IF) we shall compare results.
    Def post you thoughts and results.

11. Quote Originally Posted by vassille

Def post you thoughts and results.
    October 2nd is the soonest I could get in, will keep you posted
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. First time using 2 new compounds, need input
    By jomi822 in forum Cycle Info
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-24-2006, 12:42 PM
  2. HGH or AAS or both... Need input.