A perfect post shake ?

D

Drope26

Awards
Hey guys Ive been hearing alot lately about what excatly is needed in a post shake. Now usually my post shake consists of 40 grams isolate whey protein and about 45 grams of Maltodexrin carb powder and some glutamine. However recently Ive heard that carbs in a post shake actually slows down the isolate protein so I started separating them about 20 min apart . As far as a difference ... Small to none so far but it's only been a few days . Anybody got a take on this topic ?

crispycrown

crispycrown

Awards
two things. too lazy to find them but, I've seen two studies that showed the type of carbs ingested after a workout make no difference in your recovery so timing shouldn't be an issue especially if you're giving your body the energy to shuttle the aminos to your muscles.

also saw another study showing that protein intake time doesn't matter either. they did something like break the groups up into high protein morning breakfasts then has the rest eat protein throughout the day and both showed similar blood levels at the end of every day, meaning that if your body needs those extra aminos then it will take them.

Id say it isn't too big of a deal, you can always throw some BCAAS, and Hydrolyzed whey in too if you want the protein to hit your blood stream quicker.

U

uvawahoowa

Awards
Hey guys Ive been hearing alot lately about what excatly is needed in a post shake. Now usually my post shake consists of 40 grams isolate whey protein and about 45 grams of Maltodexrin carb powder and some glutamine. However recently Ive heard that carbs in a post shake actually slows down the isolate protein so I started separating them about 20 min apart . As far as a difference ... Small to none so far but it's only been a few days . Anybody got a take on this topic ?
Timing won't matter that much. The carb intake won't slow down the digestion rate of the whey.

toddgranit

toddgranit

Awards
Perfect is an ideal that doesn't exist.
In addition everyone's body is different.
Some things will work better for you,
Some others not so much.
Diet is a lot of trial and error, till you find out what works best for you.
I've always thought that diet was as much art as science.
Peace

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
post shake is over rated and is not needed for the purpose intended, i personally use 5g leucine, 1 scoop aminox, 2.5g beta alanine 500mg agmatine. i feel like it works for me

Mainevant

Mainevant

Awards
I always put to my shaker: protein, carbs, creatine, glutamine. Drink all up and I all set.
I dont like to complicate things up.

B

boogyman

Awards
I just do a plain whey shake, with milk and my creatine post workout. I eat a full , large meal about 90 minutes later.

Noshirt52

Noshirt52

Awards
Ive been taking a scoop of six star creatine and two scoops whey protein. Comes out to about 45gs of sugar 56 g of protein about 50 carbs and about 480 cals if im not mistaken. I have noticed really nice gains and your muscles will absorb most of it if not all of it if you did a proper workout from all the research i have done. Give some creatine a shot. You will def like it

B

boogyman

Awards
I would love to be able to eat a large meal after working out, but i have to rush to work. I found by downing a quick shake my appetie is stimulated and i eat a lot more for my first meal.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
I would love to be able to eat a large meal after working out, but i have to rush to work. I found by downing a quick shake my appetie is stimulated and i eat a lot more for my first meal.
i also drink a high calorie shake because it holds me over for awhile.....

Mainevant

Mainevant

Awards
Yeah.. I know what u are saying..When I have to rush I drink bigger shake.. It's much filling than a meal.

V

vassille

Awards
overall there is no benefit in having carbs right after an workout contrary to popular belief. Spiking the insulin only shuts down the post workout HGH release. A simple drink of protein is all you need. Then later have a solid meal. I would use maltodextrin 1-2 hours before workout if anything

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
If you only work out once during the day (i have two workout sessions) then post meals are over-emphasized.

Mainevant

Mainevant

Awards
Relax..
I know the usage of proteins and carbs and I know how they are working..
For me you just wrote obvious info. Thats all..

EWolfe08

EWolfe08

Awards
So many different theories. What I like is 30g Isolate with 35g waxy maize and 30g sugar in form of high glycemic carbs (raisens, dates, etc)

Mainevant

Mainevant

Awards
keep in mind that carbs after workout aint so important...they dont stimulate protein synthesis.
proteins are the trigger to this process/

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Does anybody put coconut water in their post workout shake?

-The only limitations one has, are the ones they place on themselves --

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, I do.. Tastes awesome!
I haven't try it but was meaning to start doing it. Ik when I drank it before it made me sh!t lol

Mainevant

Mainevant

Awards
It's nice..There is a variety of flavors..
Coconut with choco post workout is great but me personally I like the natural version.

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's nice..There is a variety of flavors..
Coconut with choco post workout is great but me personally I like the natural version.
That sounds good. I have a box of the natural version. Ima give it a try today and let uk how I liked it.