For those of you who have had hernia surgery...

BigKrabbe

BigKrabbe

Awards
  • Established
I had hernia surgery a little over a year ago. Took 10 weeks of lifting, just did a little light cardio, swimming, walking. Took another 4 months off from lifting heavy. Just started training heavy about 5 months ago. Ever since the surgery I have had some discomfort/occasional pain around the surgery site, and recently it has been aching more frequently. Has a kind of crinkly feeling if that makes sense..like tiny bubbles popping when I push on the area, but the mesh still feels intact. Has anyone who has had a hernia surgery had any issues like this? I am afraid to train heavy! I am wondering if it is just the scar tissue bothering me, or if my body just hasn't ever taken well to the mesh...

dillianc

Awards
When I had my surgery there was a ton of pressure in/around the area for a long time. I had it done probably 5 years ago and it is still sore the scar is hard as Rock now and the area is very sensitive. There have been few incidences that I thought it popped or something had happened.

I would take it easy and dont strain yourself just yet. Lifting shouldn't be too much of an issue as long as yourre not giving it 85% effort. If very concerned get it looked at to ensure there is no further complications.

python93

python93

Awards
My uncle was a competitive bodybuilder and he had hernia surgery like 5 years ago.
He says when he lifts the place where he had surgery feels weird and thinks its gonna pop again but nothing has happened.
I think its psychological even though he still feels it a little