Macros question

uvawahoowa

Awards
I'm currently on a lean bulk, question is do you count calories from fiber in your carb count? I have read that only soluble fiber contributes toward calorie total since insoluble fiber isn't absorbed, but soluble fiber only contributes 1-2 cals/g gram. What I have been doing is assuming half of my daily total for fiber is soluble, multiplying by 1.5 to get total caps from soluble fiber, and dividing that by 4 to convert it to a number consistent with carb calories, then I add it to my carb total to get my final carb macros for the day. Does that make sense?

I take in a lit of clean foods and veggies, so my fiber intake is about 90-100g/day...this high intake is why I am curious because if I am wrong my macros will be skewed

Deeerdre

Deeerdre

Awards
  • Established
I'm currently on a lean bulk, question is do you count calories from fiber in your carb count? I have read that only soluble fiber contributes toward calorie total since insoluble fiber isn't absorbed, but soluble fiber only contributes 1-2 cals/g gram. What I have been doing is assuming half of my daily total for fiber is soluble, multiplying by 1.5 to get total caps from soluble fiber, and dividing that by 4 to convert it to a number consistent with carb calories, then I add it to my carb total to get my final carb macros for the day. Does that make sense?
I dont even think albert einstein could solve this hahaha, goodluck with the bulk dude!

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No I do not count fiber grams when I count carbohydrates. I count protein, carbs and fats and thats it. I try to make sure I get enough fiber in thoughout the day to keep regular. 20-30 grams is a good start

Mainevant

Mainevant

Awards

I take in a lit of clean foods and veggies, so my fiber intake is about 90-100g/day...this high intake is why I am curious because if I am wrong my macros will be skewed

Fiber a "filling agent"..You can eat as much vegetables as you want but keep in mind that when you are bulking you need those calories!
Personally I wouldn't think about fiber intake. The most important role is your P,F,C intake.
If you want to get some lean muscle you should consider to take some more protein and healthy fats. Good sources of fats: Chia seeds, coconut oil, fishes, olive oil, linseed oil..Those fats will help u to burn fat and put on some quality weight.

uvawahoowa

Awards
Fiber a "filling agent"..You can eat as much vegetables as you want but keep in mind that when you are bulking you need those calories!
Personally I wouldn't think about fiber intake. The most important role is your P,F,C intake.
If you want to get some lean muscle you should consider to take some more protein and healthy fats. Good sources of fats: Chia seeds, coconut oil, fishes, olive oil, linseed oil..Those fats will help u to burn fat and put on some quality weight.
I have no problem reaching my macros, I just know since fiber does provide some calories I don't want to go over my macros without knowing it. Probably not a big deal either way, just wanted to see how other people measure it, especially those who compete

Mainevant

Mainevant

Awards
I never count fiber intake...All I take care about is C,F,P intake and those macros I count.
Nothing more.

Titration

Awards
No, you don't count your calories from fiber. You should have a goal to hit a number of grams of fiber per day, though.