How important is Protein diversity

NADDANME

NADDANME

Awards
  • Established
I've read in the past that you shouldn't get all your protein from one source. For instance not just eating beef everyday. Just curios what other people thoughts are. I try to incorporate beef, chicken, dairy and even vegan protein sources on a regular bases along with protein supplements

broda

broda

Awards
  • Established
Honestly I don't think it really matters and I think that idea comes more down to micronutrients from the food rather than the actual protein itself. It will all be digested eventually regardless of the food source.

RicFlair

Awards
During the workweek I eat the same meals everyday. I think variety only matters for taste and novelty. Im unsure of any scientific evidence showing a need to vary your meat selections. Anyone else have any insight??

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Yes and no, depending on thr sources of said protein. Beef, chicken, eggs etc. (animal products) contain ALL the essential amino acids needed by the body; plant products usually lack one or more amino acids so you need to mix up certain vegetables with other vegetables to make sure your not missing any.

NADDANME

NADDANME

Awards
  • Established
Yes and no, depending on thr sources of said protein. Beef, chicken, eggs etc. (animal products) contain ALL the essential amino acids needed by the body; plant products usually lack one or more amino acids so you need to mix up certain vegetables with other vegetables to make sure your not missing any.
Interesting what about Dairy
aren't plant protein suposed to be easier to digest

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Interesting what about Dairy
aren't plant protein suposed to be easier to digest
Dairy is from animal products, so its included :)

Even if plant proteins were easier to digest, they don't contain all the essential amino acids, which could be a bad thing if you dont mix up your plant sources.

IMO animal products are the best way to go and just rely on vegetables for the nutrients

Mainevant

Mainevant

Awards
Keep in mind that different protein sources have different ratio of absorption and bio-availability.
Also you have to remember that with every protein source you are also getting different nutrients..
Diversity is helpful cause your food isn't boring but if u don't have a problem with eating chicken 24/7 than ok.

STPlover

STPlover

Awards
I think its more important for ones sanity to mix things up

67nova

Awards
I mainly eat different sources to not get sick of one thing but i do eat egg whites post w/o as to chicken or beef as i find i degest it easier.

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Diversity is good but not necessarily for the sake of diversity.

I mean, if you were drinking whey shakes and the rest of your complete protein was coming ONLY from chicken, you'd be okay. But why not siwtch it up and have some fish and beef occasionally? Eggs? And you get a some protein from stuff like wheat, bread, beans, ect.. Just not complete proteins.

NADDANME

NADDANME

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for all the replys nice to different view points. One reason I do a vegan protein shake for breakfast is also I can get my fiber and vitimans with out a lot of carbs

Mainevant

Mainevant

Awards
Thanks for all the replys nice to different view points. One reason I do a vegan protein shake for breakfast is also I can get my fiber and vitimans with out a lot of carbs
Those types of shakes are awesome...They are cleansing your body effectively..Maybe they dont taste good but they are very healthy.

NADDANME

NADDANME

Awards
  • Established
Those types of shakes are awesome...They are cleansing your body effectively..Maybe they dont taste good but they are very healthy.
True I add in a organic " green super food " powder also to get my vitimans from a natural source

Lars

Awards
Diversity of protein is good but it is not necessary.That right,Every source of protein has its different level of absorption.So i try different sources for getting protein like beef,chicken,eggs,and some vegetables etc.Hence it is essential part of my daily diet.

theotherone55

theotherone55

Awards
i actually made a switch to Gemma Pea protein from TrueNutrition this past month.

Whey Isolate prices are always gettin worse and they had a mix of Gemma Pea, Egg White and Whey Isolate for cheeeeaaaapppp compared to regular whey. Tastes a little grittier but it's not gross or anything.

Delicious and still has a great amino profile

Mainevant

Mainevant

Awards
Never tried pea protein but this complex sounds nice..
All kinds of aminos from different sources.

Titration

Awards
Diversity is only good for your taste buds. It really doesn't matter of you get all your protein from whey, chicken, etc.

Mainevant

Mainevant

Awards
Diversity is only good for your taste buds. It really doesn't matter of you get all your protein from whey, chicken, etc.
It has..
Chicken has different amino and micro nutrient profile than beef or fish.

Mainevant

Mainevant

Awards
you still have to remember that chicken isnt even with pea protein..
Macros matters for sure..But the quality also have a key role.

Titration

Awards
I dot think it was have a very significant role. I agree some protein sources are inferior, but if you're getting enough the amino acid content may not play that much of a role. This is excluding sources that aren't technically a complete source.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Animal aminos are Complete aminos where they contain all essential amino acids, whereas plants do not.

NADDANME

NADDANME

Awards
  • Established
Yes..That's why your diet should be versatile..
Protein - What Should I Eat? - The Nutrition Source ...

This is a good article backing up that thought

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It has..
Chicken has different amino and micro nutrient profile than beef or fish.
its only relevant at all during a caloric deficit, when total intake of one or more of the rate limiting AAs is below maintenance. So long as the basic EAAs are all available in a larger quantity than you need it can easily all come from a single source.

Mainevant

Mainevant

Awards
Yep but the more versatile the diet is the more u enjoy it..
Try to eat chicken and rice 24/7 365 days per year..