Fruits?

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'5"  160 lbs.
    Answers

Fruits?

Fruits are healthy, but they have simple sugars. Some have a lot of and some have a little. How much sugar is too much sugar? Should a bodybuilder stay clear of fruits? Will a daily multivitamin have the same benefits as eating fruits (besides the fiber)?

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  257 lbs.
    Answers

Unless your in contest prep or something an apple or two on the days when your allowed carbs should not hurt too much... What are your goals, you bulking or cutting?
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  185 lbs.
    Answers

1-2 servings of fruits a day should be a part of your diet, especially apples, a lot of people don't realize just how good they are for you. and no unless your pre-contest it wont hurt.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.
    Answers

As for the simple sugars go greek yogurt/cottage cheese/milk all have them too.Your liver holds a certain amount of these sugars before turning over to be stored as fat.Unless your eating tubs and gallons of dairy and alot of fruit with highier fructose(apples,pears,strawber ries)then mainly worry about your calories more then anything.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'5"  160 lbs.
    Answers

I'm trying to cut right now. Thanks for the information guys, I will try to incorporate more fruits in my diet for the health benefits. I guess there is just not enough sugar in a normal serving of fruits to spike your insulin (which will cause you to store fat). I wonder how many grams of sugar will spike your insulin significantly. 1 banana has 17g sugar.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.
    Answers

Sugar spike occurs with any carb.Level now depends on what it is/how it was prepared.Sweet potatoes are "usally"low gi,but if you baked them it hits around 80 or so.Protein//fats lower this effect alot though.

As for fruits go watermelon,canolope,dates are very high gi,bananas depends on color(ripeness)greener=lower.P roblem with watermelon/canolpe is there more fructose then glucose so you get a gi spike but goes more to liver.Hard to beat rice/raisens post w/o.Also i found if your diets in check it really doesnt matter what you have post(shake with dextrose or fruit)it all gets converted in time.

I use to rush after workout to hit that "window"now i dont care i eat when i can and found 10min after or hour after i still grt fatigued afterwards for awhile and lift/train just as hard as i did.

Now normal meals i tend to do more lower gi fruit(apples,oranges,berries,e ct)and start cutting them off as day goes on or as im not working hard/alot.Thats me though do what works for you it took me awhile and still dont have it that right
  7. Registered User
    Answers

Don't sweat the little stuff. Eat your fruits and veggies and hit your total macros for the day.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Fructose won't cause an insulin spike... its very low Gi... Eat them fruits.

'simple sugars' is kinda old terminology considering that fructose and glucose, while both 'simple carbohydrte', affect insulin in very differing ways. Fructose is very slow absorbing while glucose is fast
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  999 lbs.
    Answers

Eat your fruits. Apples, strawberries, bananas, blueberries, whatever. The insulin spike in fruits is lower than actual 'simple sugars' (as which I'm reading them as table sugar). They're chock full of vitamins and whatnot. Bananas got tons of potassium. Apples got ursolic acid. Berries are filled with anti-oxidants.
    Yeah, eat them. Don't forget to count them into your macros though.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  146 lbs.
    Answers

I have no idea why people avoid fruits while cutting...
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    Fructose won't cause an insulin spike... its very low Gi... Eat them fruits.

'simple sugars' is kinda old terminology considering that fructose and glucose, while both 'simple carbohydrte', affect insulin in very differing ways. Fructose is very slow absorbing while glucose is fast
    Exactly! And Maltodextrin is a "complex carb" and shoots blood sugar higher than just about all "simple sugar" fruits.
    PES ALPHAMINE Log
    h ttp://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213082-pes-alphamine-log.html
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  186 lbs.
    Answers

I have been carb cycling for a while now, and on high carb days I eat a lot of fruit, mostly bananas, and strawberries, as well as honey and granola.
    It doesn't seem to interfere with my definition.
    If your hitting macros correctly you should be fine.
    Peace
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by toddgranit View Post
    I have been carb cycling for a while now, and on high carb days I eat a lot of fruit, mostly bananas, and strawberries, as well as honey and granola.
    It doesn't seem to interfere with my definition.
    If your hitting macros correctly you should be fine.
    Peace
    I believe this. Although I'm not a 100% "if it fits your macros guy".

But yes, fruits throughout the day are a fantastic carb/energy/vitamin/nutrient source.

I believe the vitamins and minerals in fruits mitigate the blood glucose spikes that usually come with other sugars such as sucrose, dextrose and high fructose corn syrup. When those sugars are consumed not from fruit, they do not contain the vitamins fruit does, leaving you with a higher blood sugar spike.
    PES ALPHAMINE Log
    h ttp://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213082-pes-alphamine-log.html
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  186 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Clemenza

I believe this. Although I'm not a 100% "if it fits your macros guy".

But yes, fruits throughout the day are a fantastic carb/energy/vitamin/nutrient source.

I believe the vitamins and minerals in fruits mitigate the blood glucose spikes that usually come with other sugars such as sucrose, dextrose and high fructose corn syrup. When those sugars are consumed not from fruit, they do not contain the vitamins fruit does, leaving you with a higher blood sugar spike.
    In the interest of full disclosure, my carb up days occur on workout days, after being carb depleted, so I'm encouraging an insulin spike.
    Peace
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by toddgranit View Post
    In the interest of full disclosure, my carb up days occur on workout days, after being carb depleted, so I'm encouraging an insulin spike.
    Peace
    I love this method. I do something very similar when carb cycling. After about two days of carb depletion, I'll carb up the following day and notice I look fantastic the following morning. Especially if I got out for Italian the night before. White pasta, seafood, and high amounts of salt after a carb depletion = Win!
    PES ALPHAMINE Log
  16. Enhanced Body Formulations
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by toddgranit

Peace
    You too? Lol. Best way to do it.
    Enhanced Body Formulations Product Educator
    For any questions on our products that need a quick response, please email me directly
    EnhancedBodyFormulations@gmail .com
  17. Sunz out, Gunz out...
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by dsbhaver
    I have no idea why people avoid fruits while cutting...
    Did someone say banana?
    Yum
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.
    www.InsaneVeins.com
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Limit to amount of fruit I should eat?
    By Moyer in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-02-2005, 10:11 AM
  2. fruit juices to gain weight
    By UNDERTAKER in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-10-2004, 01:20 PM
  3. Fruit & Veg - How do you eat yours?
    By 200wannabe in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-11-2004, 04:13 PM
  4. wash fruit before eating?