dealing with "food comas"

D

dsohei

Awards
so, if i hear right, a food coma is caused by "too much" insulin release post-eating? am i correct? if not, please correct me.

also, how would one deal with food comas? i have heard that 16:8 fasting works because then we are only getting 1 or 2 insulin releases during the 8 hr feeding window. is this correct?

what are some legit ways of getting over the "food coma" quicker?

are food comas healthy/useful?

broda

broda

Awards
  • Established
You deal with 'food comas' by not eating so much in one sitting. Also the fasting thing is the opposite of the truth. When you're fasting for 16 hours you'll become more insulin sensitive so your first meal will have a much larger insulin spike than if you ate more frequently. You'll feel fatigued after breaking your fast and consuming a decent amount of food.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
You deal with 'food comas' by not eating so much in one sitting. Also the fasting thing is the opposite of the truth. When you're fasting for 16 hours you'll become more insulin sensitive so your first meal will have a much larger insulin spike than if you ate more frequently. You'll feel fatigued after breaking your fast and consuming a decent amount of food.
Lol Broda I like you man , but you eat broscience like crazy if you believe what I just bolded :D! Frequent meals are not better than IF...and IF is not necessarily better than them either...Anyhow, you need insulin sensitivity if you wanna add muscle or lose fat, works for both.

broda

broda

Awards
  • Established
I just meant that it's the opposite of what he said. His post said that IF was better for 'food comas' since there's less insulin spikes than a higher frequency. I was just disagreeing with that, that's all. I do IF myself!

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
I just meant that it's the opposite of what he said. His post said that IF was better for 'food comas' since there's less insulin spikes than a higher frequency. I was just disagreeing with that, that's all. I do IF myself!
What are "Food comas" anyway...you go into comatose mode if you eat too much? Becuase I am heading to coma-ville then...I am eating ATM (finally breaking fast) 4 cups oatmeal, 4 tbsp of EVOO and 16oz of lean ground turkey...

broda

broda

Awards
  • Established
What are "Food comas" anyway...you go into comatose mode if you eat too much? Becuase I am heading to coma-ville then...I am eating ATM (finally breaking fast) 4 cups oatmeal, 4 tbsp of EVOO and 16oz of lean ground turkey...
It's basically just a slang term for when you eat a crap ton of food and become extremely fatigued and want to sleep, haha

D

dsohei

Awards
"food comas" is slang for when ppl get tired after eating, usually is used after thanksgiving when ppl eat way way too much and fall asleep after. there are degrees of intensity with food comas i guess. i just experience mild sleepiness after eating (a bit annoying), i do 2 meals a day, not insanely big, but i guess enough carbs and protein to make it happen.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
"food comas" is slang for when ppl get tired after eating, usually is used after thanksgiving when ppl eat way way too much and fall asleep after. there are degrees of intensity with food comas i guess. i just experience mild sleepiness after eating (a bit annoying), i do 2 meals a day, not insanely big, but i guess enough carbs and protein to make it happen.
Drowziness on thanksgiving is due to:

A common assertion is that heavy consumption of turkey meat results in drowsiness, due to high levels of tryptophan contained in turkey.[50][51][52] However, the amount of tryptophan in turkey is comparable to that contained in most other meats.[17] Furthermore, post-meal drowsiness may have more to do with what else is consumed along with the turkey and, in particular, carbohydrates.[53] It has been demonstrated in both animal models[54] and humans[55][56][57] that ingestion of a meal rich in carbohydrates triggers release of insulin. Insulin in turn stimulates the uptake of large neutral branched-chain amino acids (BCAA), but not tryptophan (an aromatic amino acid) into muscle, increasing the ratio of tryptophan to BCAA in the blood stream. The resulting increased ratio of tryptophan to BCAA in the blood reduces competition at the large neutral amino acid transporter (which transports both BCAA and aromatic amino acids), resulting in the uptake of tryptophan across the blood–brain barrier into the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF).[58][59] Once in the CSF, tryptophan is converted into serotonin in the raphe nuclei by the normal enzymatic pathway.[54][56] The resultant serotonin is further metabolised into melatonin by the pineal gland.[10] Hence, this data suggests that "feast-induced drowsiness"— may be the result of a heavy meal rich in carbohydrates, which, via an indirect mechanism, increases the production of sleep-promoting melatonin in the brain.[54][55][56][57]
You can decide weather to believe it or not, I just know I stuff myself with over 200g of carbs in 1 sitting with over 16oz of turkey on a weekly basis and I never get drowsy...

broda

broda

Awards
  • Established
Yup ^ The only time I really got a 'food coma' was when I went to a Japanese hibachi place and I overloaded myself to the max. I needed a nap after that!

D

dsohei

Awards
Drowziness on thanksgiving is due to:

You can decide weather to believe it or not, I just know I stuff myself with over 200g of carbs in 1 sitting with over 16oz of turkey on a weekly basis and I never get drowsy...
well i get food comas regularly after every meal.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Just a question, do you supplement with tryptophan? haha. Dont blame the insulin, insulin gets a bad rap because people dont understand what its primary function is. They just see it as the bad hormone.

Maybe consider getting blood sugar levels checked, fatiguing that often could be due to glucose not effectively entering the brain. Idk, its hard to tell without understanding what your diet is like, supplementation and health status

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Just a question, do you supplement with tryptophan? haha. Dont blame the insulin, insulin gets a bad rap because people dont understand what its primary function is. They just see it as the bad hormone.

Maybe consider getting blood sugar levels checked, fatiguing that often could be due to glucose not effectively entering the brain. Idk, its hard to tell without understanding what your diet is like, supplementation and health status
I regard Insulin as the most useful hormone we can control in our bodies. Manipulating our insulin sensitivity naturally can prove to be most benefitial for both fat loss and muscle building. GDAs play a good role in this, I would recommend Na-R-Ala (Geronova Licensed) at 300mg 30-45 mins before a high carb meal along with 1g alcar (some 20 mins after taking Na-R-Ala). It does wonders honestly. Though ALCAR mainly for nootropic and anti-oxidant effects. Doing this with PLCAR would help even further for fat loss reasons due to MPK interactions. :p

toddgranit

toddgranit

Awards
Post Prandial Narcolepsy

AKA

The food hangover.

A state of fatigue, sleepiness, and/or inability to stop nodding caused by eating a large meal.
Peace

toddgranit

toddgranit

Awards
I regard Insulin as the most useful hormone we can control in our bodies. Manipulating our insulin sensitivity naturally can prove to be most benefitial for both fat loss and muscle building. GDAs play a good role in this, I would recommend Na-R-Ala (Geronova Licensed) at 300mg 30-45 mins before a high carb meal along with 1g alcar (some 20 mins after taking Na-R-Ala). It does wonders honestly. Though ALCAR mainly for nootropic and anti-oxidant effects. Doing this with PLCAR would help even further for fat loss reasons due to MPK interactions. :p
I agree,
Just out of curiosity, are you a pharmacology student? Because you really seem to know your stuff.
Props
Peace

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
I agree,
Just out of curiosity, are you a pharmacology student? Because you really seem to know your stuff.
Props
Peace
Nope, hobby and love for the lifestyle and an awesome Mentor who got me hooked up in the concepts of pharmacology and biochemistry of the human body in relation to this lifestyle.
Thanks bro!

D

dsohei

Awards

i do not supplement with tryptophan

D

dsohei

Awards
i take 2g each of alcar and plcar in the mornings, with 400mg r-ala (not na-r-ala) 30 mins prior. i will now start taking an additional 400mg or r-ala before each of my meals to see what this does. good idea? i was planning on getting the geronova once this bottle of r-ala runs out. what's the best place to get it? thanks

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
i take 2g each of alcar and plcar in the mornings, with 400mg r-ala (not na-r-ala) 30 mins prior. i will now start taking an additional 400mg or r-ala before each of my meals to see what this does. good idea? i was planning on getting the geronova once this bottle of r-ala runs out. what's the best place to get it? thanks
Nutraplanet, I do not like r-ala and the doses seem too much anyway for you (PLCAR and ALCAR wise anyway). I would say do how I told yah , if you want a second dose of Na-R-Ala its ok if you do 300mg (I would say 150mg for the second one though...) and add .5mg of ALCAR or PLCAR or both for a total of 1.5mg ALCAR and well...if you want you can have 1g and 1g of PLCAR...Just remember Na-R-Ala can turn Pro-Oxidative if not cycled too, everything should be cycled. Don't run it always, do 8-12 weeks and take some 3-4 weeks of a break from it.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I agree. Because of the type of exercise I do (mainly HIIT and strength with some mild endurance every few days; 10km runs) I tend to drink high GI foods (i like the GI system haha) to fuel me and the insulin spike does wonders to get the glucose into my muscles; this also means that my brain doesnt have to compete with my muscles quite so much with my blood and liver glycogen as I try keep MG stores as full as possible which delays mental fatigue. So for me, understanding insulin and controlling it is the best way to go about things. I do however try to avoid high Gi foods at any other times of the day because I hate the crash it brings; even if the crash is only temporary, its still very noticable.

Also, to the OP, do you seem to get tired around lunch time? or is it literally every meal? If its lunch time, then the body gets naturally tired after a meal which is why the mexicans have a siesta. Its just a normal occurance, (hence why in NZ most Universitys avoid classes at noon where possible).

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I agree. Because of the type of exercise I do (mainly HIIT and strength with some mild endurance every few days; 10km runs) I tend to drink high GI foods (i like the GI system haha) to fuel me and the insulin spike does wonders to get the glucose into my muscles; this also means that my brain doesnt have to compete with my muscles quite so much with my blood and liver glycogen as I try keep MG stores as full as possible which delays mental fatigue. So for me, understanding insulin and controlling it is the best way to go about things. I do however try to avoid high Gi foods at any other times of the day because I hate the crash it brings; even if the crash is only temporary, its still very noticable.

Also, to the OP, do you seem to get tired around lunch time? or is it literally every meal? If its lunch time, then the body gets naturally tired after a meal which is why the mexicans have a siesta. Its just a normal occurance, (hence why in NZ most Universitys avoid classes at noon where possible).

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
The rest of the post was above my head haha. Nice work, I may think about using that stuff

D

dsohei

Awards
Nutraplanet, I do not like r-ala and the doses seem too much anyway for you (PLCAR and ALCAR wise anyway). I would say do how I told yah , if you want a second dose of Na-R-Ala its ok if you do 300mg (I would say 150mg for the second one though...) and add .5mg of ALCAR or PLCAR or both for a total of 1.5mg ALCAR and well...if you want you can have 1g and 1g of PLCAR...Just remember Na-R-Ala can turn Pro-Oxidative if not cycled too, everything should be cycled. Don't run it always, do 8-12 weeks and take some 3-4 weeks of a break from it.
yes, but r-ala is what i have at the moment. the caps are 200mg each.
why do you think the 2g each of plcar and alcar are too much?

D

dsohei

Awards

it's after every meal - the larger the meal, the more tired (probably a duh), but also if i do too many carbs (like too much oj, it's very pronounced lethargy) or if i just do too much (saturated) fat in general (probably not insulin there, just extreme caloric density). too much protein, either alone or with carbs will produce the feeling as well, but not as severe, since protein seems to have a stimulating effect on alertness.

i am probably some level of insulin resistant too, although i dont know how to measure that.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
yes, but r-ala is what i have at the moment. the caps are 200mg each.
why do you think the 2g each of plcar and alcar are too much?
Dosages for Weight and Size standards...were you over 200lbs I would recommend upping the dose, however I don't see any need for more than 1g of ALCAR on the first serving and .5g for the second one. And PLCAR , if it is being used for fat loss (as it should) would be best at 2g too , however using both without cycling them or any real understanding of what they are doing and when to dose them seems rather pointless to me.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ive went into carb coma before on "refeed" days before. Over indulged, pasta pasta pasta. ZzZZzZz out like a light lol

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
food coma's are coming eventually, so if i know or envision thats the amount of food or type of food i'm eating is going to cause them....the way i deal with them is air conditioning, a bed or couch, and like 5 hour window of nothing to do...then i just lay there

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
I've done both schools of thought: small frequent meals or long fasts. Neither is any better than he other for weight loss. Theres not much on human studies but has been exemplified in both mice and men.

Now, I do a 20/4 fast/feed and sometimes feel gastric dilation. Post prandial nacrolepsy sets in and I feel like going to bed and probably sweating while it happens. Lack of blood and oxygen to the brain, amongst other parts of the body, cause a feeling of drowziness. In addition, the high influx of food can cause metabolic acidosis and become a highly oxidative process. Bottom line you're eating too much in one shot spread the ratios around. As we age keep in mind we become less insulin sensitive so I can manage more high GI carbs or carbs in general than someone 20+ years my senior.

As for me, ill continue to fast as is. I do like it better for my working life but I have learned to control my portions even as they can grow large. My first meal always leaves me with a tingling feeling from the break.

Budman7811

Budman7811

Awards
Na-R-Ala is good stuff. I ran it for a log a while back and lost waist size and weight, however since then I have put it all back. I am much stronger and less strict on minimizing macros. I will be getting back on it soon.