Leangains IF + 5/3/1 3 day split

Bcuzimbatman

Awards
I'm currently using Madcow 5x5 training routine while doing Leangains IF on the recomp protocol for strength gains and a lower bf physique. I weigh about 212 and have a 16%bf and wanna drop it to 12% or less. My main goal however is gaining strength, and I have heard that one of the best routines for strength gains is 5/3/1 (the reason I want to switch is because of time constraints while on Madcow it takes too long to do) I would be using the boring but big template and using a 3 day split instead of 4 because of responsibilities and also because on leangains it is suggested. What I'm asking for is any advice or experience any of u may have had doing this. And results u have achieved.

Currently my lifts are:
Press:180
Bench:295
Squat:335
Deadlift:475
and I would like to reach 200/300/400/500

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do the 4 day split if you can as it'll allow for more volume and, ergo, more caloric expenditure throughout the week and switch the assistance template to the Periodization Bible instead of BBB. I haven't used 5/3/1 while using IF for a extended period of time (I only used 5/3/1 for a month after switching to IF), but have been using the conjugate system instead.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Do the 4 day split if you can as it'll allow for more volume and, ergo, more caloric expenditure throughout the week and switch the assistance template to the Periodization Bible instead of BBB. I haven't used 5/3/1 while using IF for a extended period of time (I only used 5/3/1 for a month after switching to IF), but have been using the conjugate system instead.
I am doing this actually...Periodization Bible and IF , works wonders , my 10 rep max from Deadlifts already increased by around 30lbs and my training max increased by 70~lbs. BF has stayed aorund the same values on a lean bulk, I presume that for a cut it would be really effective.

Bcuzimbatman

Awards
I read on the leangains site that one should minimize extra activity (no cardio, hiit) an only train 3 days a week. I am doing the recomp cycle so I still need a deficit at the end of the week and according to leangains/ripped body my calorie intake won't be able to catch up. Won't 4 days completely throw that outta whack? Also I wouldn't be able to do 4 days because of my schedule. The part that worries me most is not gaining/losing strength. Losing bf is important to me but I could care less about size cuz I will just slow bulk on LG after the recomp. strength is number 1

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I read on the leangains site that one should minimize extra activity (no cardio, hiit) an only train 3 days a week. I am doing the recomp cycle so I still need a deficit at the end of the week and according to leangains/ripped body my calorie intake won't be able to catch up. Won't 4 days completely throw that outta whack? Also I wouldn't be able to do 4 days because of my schedule. The part that worries me most is not gaining/losing strength. Losing bf is important to me but I could care less about size cuz I will just slow bulk on LG after the recomp. strength is number 1
Not everything needs to be followed to the letter on that. It's more of an eating lifestyle than a training protocol and I highly disagree on the only training 3 days/week recommendation.

Bcuzimbatman

Awards
So you think i would make progress training 3 days a week on 5/3/1 while on LG?

Bcuzimbatman

Awards
What assistance exercises are used for the periodization bible? Any recommends? Also I'm training from a home gym I don't have access to leg press or leg curl machines

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
What assistance exercises are used for the periodization bible? Any recommends? Also I'm training from a home gym I don't have access to leg press or leg curl machines
Buy the book

Bcuzimbatman

Awards
Lol I did buy his e-book but I'm at work and wanted to draw up a spreadsheet on my extra time

Bcuzimbatman

Awards
Just got to look through it. How is this?

Monday rest

Tuesday Train
Military 5/3/1
5x10 pushups
5x10 chins (varying grips every set) probably weighted also
Skulls 5x10

Wednesday rest

Thursday Train
Deadlift 5/3/1
Romanian DL 5x10 because no access to GHD or leg curl
Hack squat 5x10
Hanging leg raises 5x10

Friday rest

Saturday Train
Bench 5/3/1
5x10 wide grip weighted dips
5x10 bent over rows varying grips
5x10 tricep extension

Sun-mon rest

Tuesday Train
Squat 5/3/1
5x10 goodmorning
5x10 Hack squat
5x10 situps eventually weighted

Also what percentage of my 1RM should I use with the assistance work?

Vipersg123

Vipersg123

Awards
  • Established
I am doing 5/3/1 boring but big template (with extra arm and back work on upper days) 4 days a week with leangains and things are going great. Don't worry about trying 4 days per week... it's fine. Because I am cutting I do my normal burn days on off days and just make one of the upper days a little bit below maintenance to make it closer to the normal 3 day template leangains wants for cutting.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just got to look through it. How is this?

Monday rest

Tuesday Train
Military 5/3/1
5x10 pushups
5x10 chins (varying grips every set) probably weighted also
Skulls 5x10

Wednesday rest

Thursday Train
Deadlift 5/3/1
Romanian DL 5x10 because no access to GHD or leg curl
Hack squat 5x10
Hanging leg raises 5x10

Friday rest

Saturday Train
Bench 5/3/1
5x10 wide grip weighted dips
5x10 bent over rows varying grips
5x10 tricep extension

Sun-mon rest

Tuesday Train
Squat 5/3/1
5x10 goodmorning
5x10 Hack squat
5x10 situps eventually weighted

Also what percentage of my 1RM should I use with the assistance work?
I don't like it. You're only training each lift every 9 days, which is not enough frequency in my opinion.

If you absolutely have to do 3 days/week, I'd eliminate OHP as its own day and add it in as accessory work.

1RM on accessory work makes no sense. It's accessory work, not a max effort movement.

Vipersg123

Vipersg123

Awards
  • Established
OH press can be accessory if you are competing in PL. however, someone like me competing in strongman it actually makes more sense than bench press ME. I personally do the boring but big 5/3/1 template it basically goes like this:
Lower A ME front squat, RE deadlift, accessory core work
Upper A ME Bench press RE OH press, DB rows (5x10), extra arm and back
Lower B ME deadlift, RE back squat, accessory core
Upper B ME strict OH press, RE bench press , chins (5x10), extra arm and back

Bcuzimbatman

Awards
How would OHP work as an accessory? I would like to progress with this lift as it is one of my favorites. Would I be able to get away doing it on the same day as bench?

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How would OHP work as an accessory? I would like to progress with this lift as it is one of my favorites. Would I be able to get away doing it on the same day as bench?
This is where you have to make the choice between exercise selection and training frequency.

grippo

grippo

Awards
Do ME overhead presses with ME squats, you can do this with 2 workouts/week; A: squat and OH press B: deadlift and bench ... 4 days would be ideal, but 3 are good enough

Bcuzimbatman

Awards
According to u guys how is this?

Monday Rest

Tuesday Train
Deadlift 5/3/1
Romanian 5x10
Hack squat 5x10
Hanging leg raises 5x10

Wednesday rest

Thursday Train
Bench 5/3/1
Military 5/3/1
Pushups 5x10
Chins 5x10 weighted
Shrugs 5x10

Friday rest

Saturday train
Squat 5/3/1
5x10 goodmorning
5x10 hack squat
5x10 weighted situps

Sunday rest

Bcuzimbatman

Awards
According to u guys how is this?

Monday Rest

Tuesday Train
Deadlift 5/3/1
Romanian 5x10
Hack squat 5x10
Hanging leg raises 5x10

Wednesday rest

Thursday Train
Bench 5/3/1
Military 5/3/1
Pushups 5x10
Chins 5x10 weighted
Shrugs 5x10

Friday rest

Saturday train
Squat 5/3/1
5x10 goodmorning
5x10 hack squat
5x10 weighted situps

Sunday rest
Actually just read that it would be smarter to combine squat and bench days. So it would be

Saturday
Squat 5/3/1
Bench 5/3/1
5x10 goodmorning
5x10 hacks
5x10 weighted situps
5x10 bent over rows
I add the rows for assistance on bench and then on military day keep all the previous assistance. Saturday is really the day I have the most time anyway