Distilled water vs tap water ?

jdss

jdss

Awards
I see a lot of people purchasing only "Distilled" water , over tap water or other purified water - is there a nutritional gain/value oppose to drinking regular water ?

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
I see a lot of people purchasing only "Distilled" water , over tap water or other purified water - is there a nutritional gain/value oppose to drinking regular water ?
i learnt this from ap chem so my answer is more on the science side than nutrition. Distilled water is just H2O with all other ions removed from it.. So you lose all other stuff that comes in other water.

jdss

jdss

Awards
i learnt this from ap chem so my answer is more on the science side than nutrition. Distilled water is just H2O with all other ions removed from it.. So you lose all other stuff that comes in other water.
Alright that's cool to know - but would it actually make a difference with your diet ? Or is it similar to having organic products ?

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
Alright that's cool to know - but would it actually make a difference with your diet ? Or is it similar to having organic products ?
You lose everything in the other H20. So if you want it than its bad for your diet and if you dont than its better for your diet.

Organic means contains carbon so it is impossible for water to be organic. You could dissolve some carbon containing molecules but they will have to be small because water is polar and most hydrocarbons are nonpolar

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
Distilled water won't have the vitamins and minerals (as benmayro was saying) that tap water will. In the U.S. tap water is usually tested and held to a higher standard than most bottled water, so if it tastes good I'd go with the tap water!

jdss

jdss

Awards
Distilled water won't have the vitamins and minerals (as benmayro was saying) that tap water will. In the U.S. tap water is usually tested and held to a higher standard than most bottled water, so if it tastes good I'd go with the tap water!
Cool thanks guys

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Distilled water contains NO Minerals , just straight H20 , drinking only Distilled Water will lead to Dehydration , if you want that, go ahead and enjoy the heart attack. No one should EVER be drinking Distilled water...

toddgranit

toddgranit

Awards
This.

Besides drinking only distilled water, you're heading into OCD land.
Drink the tap water.
Peace

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
Distilled water contains NO Minerals , just straight H20 , drinking only Distilled Water will lead to Dehydration , if you want that, go ahead and enjoy the heart attack. No one should EVER be drinking Distilled water...
Cel why will drinking distilled water lead to dehydration, i never talk
about or even thought of it.. My only guess is that do to its low salt content it would cause the salt inside of the cells to go out because your body wants equilibruim..

Dont cook with distilled water it takes longer to cook due to stronger intermolecular forces

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Cel why will drinking distilled water lead to dehydration, i never talk
about or even thought of it.. My only guess is that do to its low salt content it would cause the salt inside of the cells to go out because your body wants equilibruim..

Dont cook with distilled water it takes longer to cook due to stronger intermolecular forces
Exactly, distilled water will only run minerals out via sweat and urine...also if you ONLY drink Distilled water, the electrolyte-free H20 will not be used by your body at all...merely will pass by...in time it will lead to dehydration.

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
Exactly, distilled water will only run minerals out via sweat and urine...also if you ONLY drink Distilled water, the electrolyte-free H20 will not be used by your body at all...merely will pass by...in time it will lead to dehydration.
Good, just making sure!

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
depends on what you want, NaCl is highly soluble in water so you can get an unbelievable amount in it but i truely think its unneeded, are you having specific problems?

jdss

jdss

Awards
depends on what you want, NaCl is highly soluble in water so you can get an unbelievable amount in it but i truely think its unneeded, are you having specific problems?
Well ill be going through a long , rough week lets say with little resources.. So I'm trying to gain as much knowledge and train my ass off right now .. So if I can add some form of salts to my body to help replenish what I'm losing at a proportionate amount it would be great . I just don't want to add too much

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
i say add a dash to your food maybe once or twice.. not water though

zeroshens

Awards
I use tap water but I have a filter to remove most of the fluoride. Fluoride is a depressant that even the nazis added to the water to control people

aceroni

Awards
He's right on here, good work brother

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Fluoride is added to the water, albeit in tiny amounts, to help in tooth health because many people fail to brush their teeth. Look at Great Britain who removed fluoride from their water and look at their teeth now...

Also, unless you have a healthy sodium level intake, then drinking distilled water (with sodium removed) may cause hyponaetremia.

Although during endurance events, not even tap water contains enough sodium to offset this condition

Last edited:
MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
distilled water is missing the vitamins and minerals that tap water has and also has the ions removed from it. It is also a bit harder to drink than tap water. I would drink mineral water for sure. This way your not cheating yourself of vital vitamins and minerals.

aceroni

Awards
But like cel said, because it is stripped of ions, it will deplete your body of ions if you drink it. thus dehydrating you.