Ciggarettes effect on test/building muscle

BigVida

BigVida

Banned
Awards
Alright dudes, yet again another prolly dead horse beating, but I'm curious....been doing a little research on smoking/nicotines effect on test, and still can't find solid info or research to back this up. Obviously smoking is garbage for overall health, but.does it really effect how much muscle you can build? I have a coworker who's MASSIVE, and smokes a pack a day, and says he has his whole time through bodybuilding and still continues to make incredible progress. I also know.other folks who are extremely.diciplined in training and diet who can't gain any mass, and I believe its cause smoking hinders this. Opinions?

R1187

R1187

Awards
  • Established
I'm not a doctor, and so can only state my personal beliefs.

First, there's a ton of "broscience" out there about how everything under the sun "reduces testosterone". So, I would take it with a grain of salt.

Smoking isn't healthy, but I can't see it actually hindering lean mass gain in the presence of a suitable diet and training regimen. My guess is those people you know who smoke and can't gain mass have much larger issues with their training than their smoking.

tilldeath

tilldeath

Awards
I know I've read studies on nicotine improving fatloss so... Not good in general though since the neg's out weight the bene's.

chil

chil

Banned
Awards
few interesting things and perspective im going to bring up.... 1)i have ulcerative colitis (like chrons disease) and there is a direct link to remission of a"flare up" and nicotine as a matter of fact when i realized i had UC was a few weeks after i quit smoking i started ****ting blood ( it was miserable).....2)as stated above nicotine improves fatloss and helps to inhibit fat gain, there are a few studies on that...3) last but not least cigarettes are loaded with over 4,000 toxins... your body is going to focus on getting rid of toxins that kill it before it starts to focus on repair of muscle tissue so i would imagine that cigarettes would increase recovery time, and on the fat loss issue cigs kill your appetite so you may not get all your meals in if your smoking a pack or so a day, then again you may it depends on the person i guess.....when i smoked i noticed my squats and deadlifts suffered because of shortness of breath, im not the only person to complain about that while smoking cigs in my gym either

chil

chil

Banned
Awards
lmaoo

BigVida

BigVida

Banned
Awards
Haaaahaaaa wtf

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't have time to link the study or search for it right now but I did a paper a while back and it specifically showed a direct correlation to nicotine lowering t

BigVida

BigVida

Banned
Awards
Is it a significant amount, or like a minimal effect? Been interested in this subject. I think all the other garbage is what would really kill it

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Is it a significant amount, or like a minimal effect? Been interested in this subject. I think all the other garbage is what would really kill it
The way I have always looked at it is any amount dropping of what makes men, men, is bad. It wasn't a huge amount but it was enough to make me quit chewing and smoking.

F33NY

Awards
I know I've read studies on nicotine improving fatloss so... Not good in general though since the neg's out weight the bene's.
1 Ciggarette won't, but in certain amounts, nicotine works as an appetite suppressant.