1. Banned
    Stats
    6'1"  160 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.92%
    Achievements Reputation Pro

Six meals every three hours a scam?

Been seeing a lot of stuff online about how meeting your macros, whether it be spread out or not, is really all ya need to do for building muscle. The six small meals thing has always made me wonder if its really that big of a deal, so I think after pct a few months down the road ill test this theory. Anyone have any experience with this/defying it and still getting SHREDDED.

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.01%

Timing doesn't do Jack. End of discussion. People today are brain washed with this wild idea that to lose weight you need to eat more often and kinda snack all day. Or if ur hugry ur body is catabolic. There is really no scientific proof of this. And when u reason it really doesn't make sense. Just do what u want IMO. I'm giving IF a try but at the end if the day 2000 calories in 6 meals or 3 is still 2000 calories and it takes ur body the same amount of energy to digest. Do whatever works for ur schedule.
  3. Banned
    Stats
    5'7"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.51%

Quote Originally Posted by hugry4more
    Timing doesn't do Jack. End of discussion. People today are brain washed with this wild idea that to lose weight you need to eat more often and kinda snack all day. Or if ur hugry ur body is catabolic. There is really no scientific proof of this. And when u reason it really doesn't make sense. Just do what u want IMO. I'm giving IF a try but at the end if the day 2000 calories in 6 meals or 3 is still 2000 calories and it takes ur body the same amount of energy to digest. Do whatever works for ur schedule.
    100% agree with that
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.28%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation Authority

agree with the above 2, switched to 3 a day from 6 about a year ago. look better than when i was doing six a day meals are more enjoyable and dont have to stress about getting this or that meal on time and get to enjoy my life and not be a slave to an eating schedule
  5. Banned
    Stats
    5'7"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.51%

Quote Originally Posted by rhoadx
    agree with the above 2, switched to 3 a day from 6 about a year ago. look better than when i was doing six a day meals are more enjoyable and dont have to stress about getting this or that meal on time and get to enjoy my life and not be a slave to an eating schedule
    Plus you don't feel that bloated all day with less meals. Not everybody used tons of gear like a pro so No need to eat like Coleman.
  6. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.81%
    Achievements Reputation ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

you need to eat every 2-3 hours to keep muscle building going or supplement bcaa's or a whey shake in between meals

amino acids levels fall after uyou eat and you have got to keep it going
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  7. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    Stats
    5'10"  199 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.9%
    Achievements Reputation AuthorityReputation ProReputation VeteranPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

hmmm, the great debate.
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.
    ANABOLIC MINDS SITE REP
  8. Banned
    Stats
    6'0"  196 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.47%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation Authority

Whatever happened to eating when you're hungry
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  167 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.82%

Quote Originally Posted by sidoious View Post
    Whatever happened to eating when you're hungry
    After starting IF I don't even feel relatively hungry until around my eating window starts. I think your body adapts to your eating schedule more so than it just being hungry whenever.
  10. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.01%

Quote Originally Posted by John Smeton
    you need to eat every 2-3 hours to keep muscle building going or supplement bcaa's or a whey shake in between meals

Bro science.. You have any studies backing this
  11. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.09%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityReputation VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by hugry4more View Post
    Bro science.. You have any studies backing this
    Actually there are plenty of studies focusing on this notion of eating every 3 hours. Even text books pre 2009 contain pages on meal timing and frequency. Try reading Dan Benardots book on Advanced Sports Nutrition as one example.

So its not exactly "bro science", its just not really applicible for muscle growth or repair; the science was mainly focused on athletes who are required for optimum performance to keep glycogen stores full and for performance.

We now know though that muscle growth occurs when macro nutrient targets are met for the day, irregardless of when we meet them. But timing is not all BS; High G.I foods can sustain performace longer if taken during exercise as opposed to after (for obvious reasons).
  12. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.18%

Spacing meals every 2-4 hours has worked for A LOT of people. There is no question it works. However, the notion that we need to eat every 2-4 hours or will lose muscle or get weak is now known to be false. Nutrition is about what works best for you. Right now IF works for me, before I found IF regular spacing worked fine. It was annoying, but it worked.
  13. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.72%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting VeteranPosting Royalty

Quote Originally Posted by John Smeton View Post

100% false.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    Actually there are plenty of studies focusing on this notion of eating every 3 hours. Even text books pre 2009 contain pages on meal timing and frequency. Try reading Dan Benardots book on Advanced Sports Nutrition as one example.

So its not exactly "bro science", its just not really applicible for muscle growth or repair; the science was mainly focused on athletes who are required for optimum performance to keep glycogen stores full and for performance.

We now know though that muscle growth occurs when macro nutrient targets are met for the day, irregardless of when we meet them. But timing is not all BS; High G.I foods can sustain performace longer if taken during exercise as opposed to after (for obvious reasons).
    It's broscience when applied to this particular population. Unless you are training multiple times per day for several hours each session, any of the "nutrient timing" studies do not apply. This also applies to eating high GI carbs at any point throughout the day.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  14. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  245 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.58%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityReputation VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

IF doesnt work for me. if i dont space my meals roughly 2.5-3 hours out to consume my daily macro's my body kicks in to storage gear and i get fat in a hurry. i think it probably differs from person to person, i mean look at rickrocks log he's running now, dudes shredded and uses intermittent fasting. i think when it comes to diet figure out what works for YOU.
    I'm just a dude chasing a dream
  15. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.18%

Quote Originally Posted by superbeast668 View Post
    IF doesnt work for me. if i dont space my meals roughly 2.5-3 hours out to consume my daily macro's my body kicks in to storage gear and i get fat in a hurry. i think it probably differs from person to person, i mean look at rickrocks log he's running now, dudes shredded and uses intermittent fasting. i think when it comes to diet figure out what works for YOU.
    to preface my questions - I am asking out of curiosity, not because I think you are wrong.

How long did you try IF for? Did you monitor caloric intake? Did you cycle macro nutrients? What form of IF did you use (16/8, 24 hour fast once or twice a week)?
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.56%

Alot of people tend to get fatigued after large meals(myself)if your only eating 2000 a day wouldnt be that bad,but some need 4000 in three meals way to much at one time!
  17. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.72%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting VeteranPosting Royalty

Quote Originally Posted by 67nova View Post
    Alot of people tend to get fatigued after large meals(myself)if your only eating 2000 a day wouldnt be that bad,but some need 4000 in three meals way to much at one time!
    Speak for yourself on that. I routinely down 4000kcals in 8 hours during my feeding window.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  18. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    Stats
    5'10"  199 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.9%
    Achievements Reputation AuthorityReputation ProReputation VeteranPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Some of you guys are chasing different goals as well.
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.
    ANABOLIC MINDS SITE REP
  19. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.1%

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    This also applies to eating high GI carbs at any point throughout the day.
    Could you elaborate?
  20. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.72%

Quote Originally Posted by bigcollins View Post
    Could you elaborate?
    Unless you're training for performance at a specific sport and have 2-3 sessions per day, you do not need any high GI carbs.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  21. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.25%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

I used to eat 6 meals a day. I was bulking and eating way to much (7-8k cals) but was gaining weight and strength. I learned a lot and smartened up. I can say that IF does work, I started a 16/8 and for the first month or two nothing. You have to get the ball Rollin per say, you can't switch from bulking to cut and see big results while gaining muscle. It's insanely difficult to adjust your diet perfectly like that. But as I dialed I my calories and stuck with my IF regime, I cut down 30 pounds over 5 months. Yes I lost some strength, I also had to stop lifting for 2 months due to injury. But I feel better than I did before, and when I was recovered and healed, I have come back leaner healthier and stronger than before. IF is great. Eating all day is not the way to go. And yes you can bulk on IF.

I could type for another 15 minutes but I'm no know-it-all. That's what I have learned and experienced. Different diets for different applications, but I believe IF is healthiest and the best way to meet any goal.
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/226478-country-gets-huge.html#post3905023
  22. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.09%

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    100% false.

It's broscience when applied to this particular population. Unless you are training multiple times per day for several hours each session, any of the "nutrient timing" studies do not apply. This also applies to eating high GI carbs at any point throughout the day.
    Yeah that's what I said, sort of. The science was not for bodybuilding but rather for athletic performance and it has no bearing on muscle growth or repair. But in terms of a Olympian (as an example), meal timing is crucial in sustaining performance.

I disagree about your high G.I. carbohydrate theory, or at least the during exercise part. High G.I carbs POST W/O are beneficial to replenish glycogen stores as quickly as possible when exercising multiple times during a 24hr period (as you said), but also during exercise these carbohydrates have been proven to sustain performance for longer in the context of endurance events (marathon, iron man etc.) or in sporting events of long duration (rugby, football, soccer etc.) when glycogen stores start depleting. We know that brain function and muscle function both require glucose from either liver and blood glycogen however only muscle glycogen can be used for muscle fuel (it cannot fuel the brain), so once MG stores deplete, the brain and muscles both fight for the same source of energy. Once mental fatigue sets in, the body stops performing.

There have been studies that show that high G.I. carbs during exercise help sustain performance longer than relying on fat as a fuel in the context of endurance events.

But as you said, body builders do not require this knowledge or approach to nutrition as this stuff does not apply. But it doesn't make it broscience per se, just not applicable in this scenario.

Of course eating every 3 hours may be an easier way for people to down their calories, but if you could get all your calories in two hours then your still going to get the same result. It all comes down to individual preferences (i.e. training on full stomach vs. empty stomach) but if all other things are equal, eating before or after has no effect on the outcome, just preferences on how you like to train etc.

None of this really matters though for bodybuilding, but its useful knowledge nonetheless
  23. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.06%

wait......so chugging my myofusion before my anabolic window closes doesnt build muscle? will i lose muscle if i dont mix my creatine with grape juice and drink immediately post workout
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
  24. Enhanced Body Formulations
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.04%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz

I went to school for nutrition. There's no clear science on meal timing and frequency.

In fact there's more out there on hormone timing which you should base your meals around

As far as intra workout it depends on goals there is evidence there. But non really on frequency of meals v 1-3 meals a day

I've been on a nice easy recomp eating 1x a day. Gained 4 lbs and dropped a little on my waist and have gotten stronger. I don't think it's fair to say frequency of eating correlates to muscle accretion.
    Enhanced Body Formulations Product Educator

For any questions on our products that need a quick response, please email me directly
    EnhancedBodyFormulations@gmail .com
  25. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.06%

Quote Originally Posted by EBF Inc View Post
    I went to school for nutrition. There's no clear science on meal timing and frequency.

In fact there's more out there on hormone timing which you should base your meals around

As far as intra workout it depends on goals there is evidence there. But non really on frequency of meals v 1-3 meals a day

I've been on a nice easy recomp eating 1x a day. Gained 4 lbs and dropped a little on my waist and have gotten stronger. I don't think it's fair to say frequency of eating correlates to muscle accretion.
    agreed, i work in a gym and its really hard to listen to the trainers tell clients to eat every 3 hours for increased metabolism...
    www.lgsciences.com
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.43%

I eat more often because that's when I'm hungry.
    Don't worry, man, someday I'ma be nobody too.
  27. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31%

Quote Originally Posted by hugry4more View Post
    Not true. Your body will be on a higher rate of Burning Fat and Gaining Muscle if you eat 6 proportioned sized meals a day. Go ask any REAL bodybuilder and they will tell you that your eating habbits is EVERYTHING!!!! and that eating 6-8 times a day is the right way to keep your body fueled. everything is done with the amount of insulin your body puts out. go ask ANY NUTRITIONER and they will back this up. So the real quote is YOU need to do a little more research before you put down peoples diets and say we are brain washed because this has been being done for years by ALL major body builders and ATHLETES
  28. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  167 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.82%

Quote Originally Posted by Flames8936 View Post
    Not true. Your body will be on a higher rate of Burning Fat and Gaining Muscle if you eat 6 proportioned sized meals a day. Go ask any REAL bodybuilder and they will tell you that your eating habbits is EVERYTHING!!!! and that eating 6-8 times a day is the right way to keep your body fueled. everything is done with the amount of insulin your body puts out. go ask ANY NUTRITIONER and they will back this up. So the real quote is YOU need to do a little more research before you put down peoples diets and say we are brain washed because this has been being done for years by ALL major body builders and ATHLETES
    You're really just speaking of heresay with no actual kind of research to speak of. There's absolutely no research saying that increased meal frequency increases your metabolism or keeps your body in an anabolic or anti-catabolic state over other methods.

Explain this to me, oh almighty one. How is your body burning fat more efficiently when the only time your body isn't busy digesting food is when you sleep compared to if you're not eating and your energy source is coming from stored energy (AKA FAT) that your body already has?
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.43%

Go ask Shelby Starnes and Skip Hill about their approach to eating, how they advise clients to eat, then look at their condition. Different approaches, but both dudes are ridiculously cut.

I'd say whatever you're comfortable with, but I think the every 3 hrs to keep metabolism up is only subjective.
  30. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.55%

Name:  image-1037689069.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  91.9 KB
  31. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.43%

Quote Originally Posted by 0071982WC View Post
    Name:  image-1037689069.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  91.9 KB
    Mind=blown.
  32. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.01%

Quote Originally Posted by Flames8936

Sigh there goes another sheep. . .. baaha ba
  33. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.01%

Quote Originally Posted by broda
    You're really just speaking of heresay with no actual kind of research to speak of. There's absolutely no research saying that increased meal frequency increases your metabolism or keeps your body in an anabolic or anti-catabolic state over other methods.

Explain this to me, oh almighty one. How is your body burning fat more efficiently when the only time your body isn't busy digesting food is when you sleep compared to if you're not eating and your energy source is coming from stored energy (AKA FAT) that your body already has?
    Ha this great one obviously has no understanding of how the body produces something I like to call hgh. Or the difference between the roided pros and natural bodybuilders. Reps to u though.
  34. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.01%

Quote Originally Posted by Flames8936

I love when newbs come to this site thinking there the shiza thinking they own the place. Go back to bodybuilding.com with the rest the ignorant dbags..
  35. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.43%

Well...you're *kind of* a noob to me. ^^

jus fukkinwitcha!
  36. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.06%

hmmm i wonder why diets like leangains, warrior, tkd, ckd and a plethora of others have such great results.....
    www.lgsciences.com
  37. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    Stats
    5'10"  199 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.9%

.... Well this went from a nice discussion to shyt hahaha...
    ANABOLIC MINDS SITE REP
  38. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  167 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.82%

Quote Originally Posted by hvactech View Post
    hmmm i wonder why diets like leangains, warrior, tkd, ckd and a plethora of others have such great results.....
    We sold our souls to the devil!! That's why! It allows us to make unparalleled gainzzz
  39. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.06%

Quote Originally Posted by broda View Post
    We sold our souls to the devil!! That's why! It allows us to make unparalleled gainzzz
    well i guess i'll see you in HELL
    www.lgsciences.com
  40. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.01%

Quote Originally Posted by Swanson52
    Well...you're *kind of* a noob to me. ^^

jus fukkinwitcha!
    To u I am man. Dang u been here like since dial up ha.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-10-2009, 07:39 PM
  2. Real World Situation: Eating Every 3 Hours...?
    By Insidious1 in forum Bulking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-02-2007, 10:03 PM
  3. Every 3 hours, seriously?
    By TheCrownedOne in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-19-2005, 02:45 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-06-2005, 04:43 PM
  5. A "meal" every 2-3 hrs?
    By lvtrojan in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 3