Six meals every three hours a scam?

BigVida

BigVida

Banned
Awards
Been seeing a lot of stuff online about how meeting your macros, whether it be spread out or not, is really all ya need to do for building muscle. The six small meals thing has always made me wonder if its really that big of a deal, so I think after pct a few months down the road ill test this theory. Anyone have any experience with this/defying it and still getting SHREDDED.

hugry4more

hugry4more

Awards
  • Established
Timing doesn't do Jack. End of discussion. People today are brain washed with this wild idea that to lose weight you need to eat more often and kinda snack all day. Or if ur hugry ur body is catabolic. There is really no scientific proof of this. And when u reason it really doesn't make sense. Just do what u want IMO. I'm giving IF a try but at the end if the day 2000 calories in 6 meals or 3 is still 2000 calories and it takes ur body the same amount of energy to digest. Do whatever works for ur schedule.

foxpharma

Banned
Awards
Timing doesn't do Jack. End of discussion. People today are brain washed with this wild idea that to lose weight you need to eat more often and kinda snack all day. Or if ur hugry ur body is catabolic. There is really no scientific proof of this. And when u reason it really doesn't make sense. Just do what u want IMO. I'm giving IF a try but at the end if the day 2000 calories in 6 meals or 3 is still 2000 calories and it takes ur body the same amount of energy to digest. Do whatever works for ur schedule.
100% agree with that

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
agree with the above 2, switched to 3 a day from 6 about a year ago. look better than when i was doing six a day meals are more enjoyable and dont have to stress about getting this or that meal on time and get to enjoy my life and not be a slave to an eating schedule

foxpharma

Banned
Awards
agree with the above 2, switched to 3 a day from 6 about a year ago. look better than when i was doing six a day meals are more enjoyable and dont have to stress about getting this or that meal on time and get to enjoy my life and not be a slave to an eating schedule
Plus you don't feel that bloated all day with less meals. Not everybody used tons of gear like a pro so No need to eat like Coleman.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
you need to eat every 2-3 hours to keep muscle building going or supplement bcaa's or a whey shake in between meals

amino acids levels fall after uyou eat and you have got to keep it going

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
hmmm, the great debate.

sidoious

sidoious

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Whatever happened to eating when you're hungry

broda

broda

Awards
  • Established
Whatever happened to eating when you're hungry
After starting IF I don't even feel relatively hungry until around my eating window starts. I think your body adapts to your eating schedule more so than it just being hungry whenever.

hugry4more

hugry4more

Awards
  • Established
you need to eat every 2-3 hours to keep muscle building going or supplement bcaa's or a whey shake in between meals

Bro science.. You have any studies backing this

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Bro science.. You have any studies backing this
Actually there are plenty of studies focusing on this notion of eating every 3 hours. Even text books pre 2009 contain pages on meal timing and frequency. Try reading Dan Benardots book on Advanced Sports Nutrition as one example.

So its not exactly "bro science", its just not really applicible for muscle growth or repair; the science was mainly focused on athletes who are required for optimum performance to keep glycogen stores full and for performance.

We now know though that muscle growth occurs when macro nutrient targets are met for the day, irregardless of when we meet them. But timing is not all BS; High G.I foods can sustain performace longer if taken during exercise as opposed to after (for obvious reasons).

Vipersg123

Vipersg123

Awards
  • Established
Spacing meals every 2-4 hours has worked for A LOT of people. There is no question it works. However, the notion that we need to eat every 2-4 hours or will lose muscle or get weak is now known to be false. Nutrition is about what works best for you. Right now IF works for me, before I found IF regular spacing worked fine. It was annoying, but it worked.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

100% false.

Actually there are plenty of studies focusing on this notion of eating every 3 hours. Even text books pre 2009 contain pages on meal timing and frequency. Try reading Dan Benardots book on Advanced Sports Nutrition as one example.

So its not exactly "bro science", its just not really applicible for muscle growth or repair; the science was mainly focused on athletes who are required for optimum performance to keep glycogen stores full and for performance.

We now know though that muscle growth occurs when macro nutrient targets are met for the day, irregardless of when we meet them. But timing is not all BS; High G.I foods can sustain performace longer if taken during exercise as opposed to after (for obvious reasons).
It's broscience when applied to this particular population. Unless you are training multiple times per day for several hours each session, any of the "nutrient timing" studies do not apply. This also applies to eating high GI carbs at any point throughout the day.

superbeast668

superbeast668

Awards
IF doesnt work for me. if i dont space my meals roughly 2.5-3 hours out to consume my daily macro's my body kicks in to storage gear and i get fat in a hurry. i think it probably differs from person to person, i mean look at rickrocks log he's running now, dudes shredded and uses intermittent fasting. i think when it comes to diet figure out what works for YOU.

Vipersg123

Vipersg123

Awards
  • Established
IF doesnt work for me. if i dont space my meals roughly 2.5-3 hours out to consume my daily macro's my body kicks in to storage gear and i get fat in a hurry. i think it probably differs from person to person, i mean look at rickrocks log he's running now, dudes shredded and uses intermittent fasting. i think when it comes to diet figure out what works for YOU.
to preface my questions - I am asking out of curiosity, not because I think you are wrong.

How long did you try IF for? Did you monitor caloric intake? Did you cycle macro nutrients? What form of IF did you use (16/8, 24 hour fast once or twice a week)?

67nova

Awards
Alot of people tend to get fatigued after large meals(myself)if your only eating 2000 a day wouldnt be that bad,but some need 4000 in three meals way to much at one time!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Alot of people tend to get fatigued after large meals(myself)if your only eating 2000 a day wouldnt be that bad,but some need 4000 in three meals way to much at one time!
Speak for yourself on that. I routinely down 4000kcals in 8 hours during my feeding window.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Some of you guys are chasing different goals as well.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I used to eat 6 meals a day. I was bulking and eating way to much (7-8k cals) but was gaining weight and strength. I learned a lot and smartened up. I can say that IF does work, I started a 16/8 and for the first month or two nothing. You have to get the ball Rollin per say, you can't switch from bulking to cut and see big results while gaining muscle. It's insanely difficult to adjust your diet perfectly like that. But as I dialed I my calories and stuck with my IF regime, I cut down 30 pounds over 5 months. Yes I lost some strength, I also had to stop lifting for 2 months due to injury. But I feel better than I did before, and when I was recovered and healed, I have come back leaner healthier and stronger than before. IF is great. Eating all day is not the way to go. And yes you can bulk on IF.

I could type for another 15 minutes but I'm no know-it-all. That's what I have learned and experienced. Different diets for different applications, but I believe IF is healthiest and the best way to meet any goal.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
100% false.

It's broscience when applied to this particular population. Unless you are training multiple times per day for several hours each session, any of the "nutrient timing" studies do not apply. This also applies to eating high GI carbs at any point throughout the day.
Yeah that's what I said, sort of. The science was not for bodybuilding but rather for athletic performance and it has no bearing on muscle growth or repair. But in terms of a Olympian (as an example), meal timing is crucial in sustaining performance.

I disagree about your high G.I. carbohydrate theory, or at least the during exercise part. High G.I carbs POST W/O are beneficial to replenish glycogen stores as quickly as possible when exercising multiple times during a 24hr period (as you said), but also during exercise these carbohydrates have been proven to sustain performance for longer in the context of endurance events (marathon, iron man etc.) or in sporting events of long duration (rugby, football, soccer etc.) when glycogen stores start depleting. We know that brain function and muscle function both require glucose from either liver and blood glycogen however only muscle glycogen can be used for muscle fuel (it cannot fuel the brain), so once MG stores deplete, the brain and muscles both fight for the same source of energy. Once mental fatigue sets in, the body stops performing.

There have been studies that show that high G.I. carbs during exercise help sustain performance longer than relying on fat as a fuel in the context of endurance events.

But as you said, body builders do not require this knowledge or approach to nutrition as this stuff does not apply. But it doesn't make it broscience per se, just not applicable in this scenario.

Of course eating every 3 hours may be an easier way for people to down their calories, but if you could get all your calories in two hours then your still going to get the same result. It all comes down to individual preferences (i.e. training on full stomach vs. empty stomach) but if all other things are equal, eating before or after has no effect on the outcome, just preferences on how you like to train etc.

None of this really matters though for bodybuilding, but its useful knowledge nonetheless

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
wait......so chugging my myofusion before my anabolic window closes doesnt build muscle? will i lose muscle if i dont mix my creatine with grape juice and drink immediately post workout

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

I went to school for nutrition. There's no clear science on meal timing and frequency.

In fact there's more out there on hormone timing which you should base your meals around

As far as intra workout it depends on goals there is evidence there. But non really on frequency of meals v 1-3 meals a day

I've been on a nice easy recomp eating 1x a day. Gained 4 lbs and dropped a little on my waist and have gotten stronger. I don't think it's fair to say frequency of eating correlates to muscle accretion.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
I went to school for nutrition. There's no clear science on meal timing and frequency.

In fact there's more out there on hormone timing which you should base your meals around

As far as intra workout it depends on goals there is evidence there. But non really on frequency of meals v 1-3 meals a day

I've been on a nice easy recomp eating 1x a day. Gained 4 lbs and dropped a little on my waist and have gotten stronger. I don't think it's fair to say frequency of eating correlates to muscle accretion.
agreed, i work in a gym and its really hard to listen to the trainers tell clients to eat every 3 hours for increased metabolism...

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I eat more often because that's when I'm hungry. :)

Flames8936

Awards
Not true. Your body will be on a higher rate of Burning Fat and Gaining Muscle if you eat 6 proportioned sized meals a day. Go ask any REAL bodybuilder and they will tell you that your eating habbits is EVERYTHING!!!! and that eating 6-8 times a day is the right way to keep your body fueled. everything is done with the amount of insulin your body puts out. go ask ANY NUTRITIONER and they will back this up. So the real quote is YOU need to do a little more research before you put down peoples diets and say we are brain washed because this has been being done for years by ALL major body builders and ATHLETES

broda

broda

Awards
  • Established
Not true. Your body will be on a higher rate of Burning Fat and Gaining Muscle if you eat 6 proportioned sized meals a day. Go ask any REAL bodybuilder and they will tell you that your eating habbits is EVERYTHING!!!! and that eating 6-8 times a day is the right way to keep your body fueled. everything is done with the amount of insulin your body puts out. go ask ANY NUTRITIONER and they will back this up. So the real quote is YOU need to do a little more research before you put down peoples diets and say we are brain washed because this has been being done for years by ALL major body builders and ATHLETES
You're really just speaking of heresay with no actual kind of research to speak of. There's absolutely no research saying that increased meal frequency increases your metabolism or keeps your body in an anabolic or anti-catabolic state over other methods.

Explain this to me, oh almighty one. How is your body burning fat more efficiently when the only time your body isn't busy digesting food is when you sleep compared to if you're not eating and your energy source is coming from stored energy (AKA FAT) that your body already has?

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Go ask Shelby Starnes and Skip Hill about their approach to eating, how they advise clients to eat, then look at their condition. Different approaches, but both dudes are ridiculously cut.

I'd say whatever you're comfortable with, but I think the every 3 hrs to keep metabolism up is only subjective.

hugry4more

hugry4more

Awards
  • Established
Sigh there goes another sheep. . .. baaha ba

hugry4more

hugry4more

Awards
  • Established
You're really just speaking of heresay with no actual kind of research to speak of. There's absolutely no research saying that increased meal frequency increases your metabolism or keeps your body in an anabolic or anti-catabolic state over other methods.

Explain this to me, oh almighty one. How is your body burning fat more efficiently when the only time your body isn't busy digesting food is when you sleep compared to if you're not eating and your energy source is coming from stored energy (AKA FAT) that your body already has?
Ha this great one obviously has no understanding of how the body produces something I like to call hgh. Or the difference between the roided pros and natural bodybuilders. Reps to u though.

hugry4more

hugry4more

Awards
  • Established
I love when newbs come to this site thinking there the shiza thinking they own the place. Go back to bodybuilding.com with the rest the ignorant dbags..

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well...you're *kind of* a noob to me. ^^

:D jus fukkinwitcha!

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
hmmm i wonder why diets like leangains, warrior, tkd, ckd and a plethora of others have such great results.....

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
.... Well this went from a nice discussion to shyt hahaha...

broda

broda

Awards
  • Established
hmmm i wonder why diets like leangains, warrior, tkd, ckd and a plethora of others have such great results.....
We sold our souls to the devil!! That's why! It allows us to make unparalleled gainzzz

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
We sold our souls to the devil!! That's why! It allows us to make unparalleled gainzzz
well i guess i'll see you in HELL

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

I think my point was misinterpreted. Meal frequency is not important at all, as long as macros are hit. But there are still studies out there on eating every 3 hours, however this is mostly for obese individuals;

http://www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJM198910053211403
http://www.ajcn.org/content/23/8/1059.short
http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=879792
http://www.ajcn.org/content/81/1/16.short (shows that it is only important for obese individuals)

These studies are very outdated, but this is why people think that meal frequency is important, because they base their ideals off old, outdated studies. Thats not to say they dont exist (which is why I said they did), they just arnt relevant. :D

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think my point was misinterpreted. Meal frequency is not important at all, as long as macros are hit. But there are still studies out there on eating every 3 hours, however this is mostly for obese individuals;

http://www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJM198910053211403
http://www.ajcn.org/content/23/8/1059.short
http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=879792
http://www.ajcn.org/content/81/1/16.short (shows that it is only important for obese individuals)

These studies are very outdated, but this is why people think that meal frequency is important, because they base their ideals off old, outdated studies. Thats not to say they dont exist (which is why I said they did), they just arnt relevant. :D
I'll get back to this with hormone timing :). Debunk some ****

Legacykid

Awards
  • Established
As a personal note, I get hungry very easily, when i eat dirty im full and throws my macros off for the rest of the day.But when i eat clean im always hungry, when bulking I eat small meals spread out through the day and get exactly what i need in me, but when im on a cut its hard for me not to get hungry, so i try and spread the meals out about 3 hrs apart so ill take in less cals without sacrifice of actually eatting smaller meals, if that makes sense.

broda

broda

Awards
  • Established
As a personal note, I get hungry very easily, when i eat dirty im full and throws my macros off for the rest of the day.But when i eat clean im always hungry, when bulking I eat small meals spread out through the day and get exactly what i need in me, but when im on a cut its hard for me not to get hungry, so i try and spread the meals out about 3 hrs apart so ill take in less cals without sacrifice of actually eatting smaller meals, if that makes sense.
The only reason why you get that hungry is because your body is scheduled to eat that often. While I'm doing intermittent fasting I don't even get remotely hungry until my feeding window.

Legacykid

Awards
  • Established
The only reason why you get that hungry is because your body is scheduled to eat that often. While I'm doing intermittent fasting I don't even get remotely hungry until my feeding window.
So then let me ask i train multi times a day, and eatting a light meal instead of a larger meal i am able to workout just about right after and not get sluggish or an upset stomic, is that also because my body is used to it, or infact b/c i ate a smaller meal? This is also another reason why i like eatting smaller meals, more often.

broda

broda

Awards
  • Established
So then let me ask i train multi times a day, and eatting a light meal instead of a larger meal i am able to workout just about right after and not get sluggish or an upset stomic, is that also because my body is used to it, or infact b/c i ate a smaller meal? This is also another reason why i like eatting smaller meals, more often.
I actually train fasted so I don't eat anything beforehand. I actually feel better fasted than if I ate an hour prior or so. I think it's because when you eat it slowly digests and your body is putting in energy to digest and give your body the nutrition from the food you ate versus just using energy that your body already has stored. Also, I've read/heard that your body produces more HGH in a fasted state so that's another benefit of training fasted.

If you train multiple times a day you could train fasted the first time, then eat post workout. What you'd do really depends on how spaced out your sessions are.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Same here, except lately I have been stepping up my workouts, and my body has been saying "FEED ME MORE" if I don't give it enough in the first 7 of the 8 hours, so then I am stuffing food in.

As far as "kick starting your metabolism" or however you want to phrase it, there are many ways to do that other than feed yourself, expecially when your feeding yourself calories you don't need. Your body won't burn any fat if you keep giving it calories, AKA the proportion of calories that goes to building muscle vs. feeding your body otherwise will be different. With IF your body uses stored energy/fat to run. If you eat constantly, your body is always going to use those calories before the store fat because its easier. And more than likely your meals are so small, that your not giving your body enough protein and good carbs/fats in those small meals to do the work it needs to do, specifically after your workout, and before bed.

Now you can make the argument that macros are macros and it doesn't matter when you eat them, therefore with the same macros with different timing your body would be forced to burn the same amount of fat, or even more with the spaced out meals, because of "upping your metabolism", but its not that clear cut. Thats old science, as has been stated. What is more likely is that your body more effectively burns fat in a diet like lean gains, where you excercise fasted and feed immediately post workout. Then feed, which puts nearly all of the food intake to work, adding none to little fat, assuming proper diet that is.

Constant feeding actually causes your body to store more fat, because your mind tells your body that you have plenty of food, and that it doesn't need to use what fat is stored in the body.

This can get infinitely complicated and debated. But the facts are that IF works, and small meals CAN work, especially in a bulk (IMO).

Drink alot of water, eat clean and at or slighly above your maint. macros, workout to hard, to failure, with volume, and sleep. basic recipe for success.

After that it's all 99% Bullsheet.

I actually train fasted so I don't eat anything beforehand. I actually feel better fasted than if I ate an hour prior or so. I think it's because when you eat it slowly digests and your body is putting in energy to digest and give your body the nutrition from the food you ate versus just using energy that your body already has stored. Also, I've read/heard that your body produces more HGH in a fasted state so that's another benefit of training fasted.

If you train multiple times a day you could train fasted the first time, then eat post workout. What you'd do really depends on how spaced out your sessions are.

Body produces HGH in response to stress/fasting.

There was also a recent study that a slowly drank protein shake PRE workout actually was beneficial, but that was for muscle growth, not fat loss, but I don't see a pure protein shake hurting. I am going to play around with it a little bit and break my IF rules a little with the shake 1 hr before workout.

And yes it feels great, I do get fatigued in longer workouts at times though, BCAAs would help a lot I'm sure.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I'll get back to this with hormone timing :). Debunk some ****
Come at me bro :D haha jokes.

I didnt say I agreed with the studies though, I just knew I had read some on meal frequency. But these are VERY outdated, new studies show us that growth and repair can happen irregardless of how often you feed; 3500kcals in one meal is the same as 3500kcals in 10 meals, just more spread out