Lean Gains seems too esay, am i missing something?

huggy77

huggy77

Awards
I have been reading up on lean geans trying to get a good plan put together but it seems almost to simple - i must be missing something.

I train around 6 pm (Work a 9-5). My training days are Sat (push), Sun (pull), Tues (legs), Wed(complete upper body).

i also try and get 3-4 more Cardio sessions in a week... I usually grab an hour long walk Saturday and Sunday morning.

So as far as diet goes, i just have to try and get my clean calories in between the hours of 1pm to 9pm with my biggest meal being post workout. I can have amino powder every few hours, it is a must before my fasted cardio.

That all sounds pretty straight forward and really easy.

Couple of questions:
- Can i still manipulate carbs with this? I have been having some success going very low carb (just around weight training days) and then going heavy carb on weekends. Can i still do this?

Should i be taking my need2slin during my fasted period or just save for feeding?

Ty in advance.

T

Thepaul7

Awards
Couple of questions:
- Can i still manipulate carbs with this? I have been having some success going very low carb (just around weight training days) and then going heavy carb on weekends. Can i still do this?
Yes you can still do this. Carb cycling, anabolic diet can be used with leangains. Remember your total calories though and eat for your goals even on your carb ups. You have to be careful and make sure you are eating enough because the first time I did leangains, I paired it with a gluten free diet and I lost too much weight.

Should i be taking my need2slin during my fasted period or just save for feeding?

The carb cycling diet and leangains helps with utilizing carbs. You could save your need2slin for the weekend refeeds and maybe with your biggest meal, but I wouldn't take it during a prolonged fasted state, but thats just me.

and yes leangains is that simple. :)
answers in blue

huggy77

huggy77

Awards
Thanks for the quick reply!

As long as my amino powder has zero calories i can have that during my fast every couple of hours correct? I got a ton of it off nutraplanet pretty cheap.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for the quick reply!

As long as my amino powder has zero calories i can have that during my fast every couple of hours correct? I got a ton of it off nutraplanet pretty cheap.
The still have calories. However, you can take them in small doses (5-10g) during the fasting period.

B

boogyman

Awards
The aminos are only used on training days and only if training fasted. You take 10 grams 5-15 minutes before training, 10 grams an hour after, and 10 grams every 2 hours after that until your first meal. I use them because I train fasted early AM, this is what my schedule looks like:

0445 10 grams BCAAs
0500-0600 Training
0700 10 grams BCAAs
0900 10 grams BCAAs
1100 First meal
1900 Last meal

On non training days I ingest nothing but water or the occasional diet soda until 1100

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
As I recall, LG exempts anything less than 50cals from breaking the fast, i.e. adding a tsp of creamer to your coffee doesn't count as breaking the fast. So, unless you're consuming just a ton of amino acids, the calories should be negligible.

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
It's all been covered on the LeanGains website & on the IF thread here on AM, but BCAAs should only be taken before/during/after fasted workouts - you are breaking the fast & slowing any possible fat loss.

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
...yeah, 5g of leucine really slows down lipolysis... :think:
By definition, any caloric intake is breaking the fast. BCAAs elevate insulin levels - doesn't really matter how much, they still do. Is it a huge big deal? doubtful. Will it set your progress back? Probably not much.

Not arguing - just clarifying - This pops up a lot in IF & LeanGains discussions & (as far as LG goes) Martin's pretty clear about it -

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
By definition, any caloric intake is breaking the fast. BCAAs elevate insulin levels - doesn't really matter how much, they still do. Is it a huge big deal? doubtful. Will it set your progress back? Probably not much.

Not arguing - just clarifying - This pops up a lot in IF & LeanGains discussions & (as far as LG goes) Martin's pretty clear about it -
Yes he is - according to him, anything less than 50cals doesn't break the fast. ;)

Edit: Additionally, from an FAQ he tweeted a while back: "As BCAAs are amino acids that make up protein, they definitely have caloric weight. Fasting is not an on/off switch - ingesting 10 calories won't suddenly turn fasting "off." Taking 10 grams of BCAA is ok."

B

boogyman

Awards
I just take them on workout days as directed. Why waste money taking them when not needed?

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Yes he is - according to him, anything less than 50cals doesn't break the fast. ;)

Edit: Additionally, from an FAQ he tweeted a while back: "As BCAAs are amino acids that make up protein, they definitely have caloric weight. Fasting is not an on/off switch - ingesting 10 calories won't suddenly turn fasting "off." Taking 10 grams of BCAA is ok."
He suggests BCAAs on workout days but I have yet to read where he suggests them on off days

B

boogyman

Awards
Thats because they are not needed on those days. He specifically says on workout days when training fasted, 1 hour after working out, and every 2 hours after that until your first meal.

huggy77

huggy77

Awards
the faq said to have them every 2 hours after a fasted workout.... Does that go for light cardio as well?

S

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
He suggests BCAAs on workout days but I have yet to read where he suggests them on off days
Lets not be so dogmatic, otherwise we will suffer from the same biases he ridicules. Just stick to the general principles and apply common sense. If BCAAs help you with the hunger pangs then use them. Whilst they will elicit an insulin response the amplitude and duration of the response will be small and your body will return to baseline quickly.

F

Flexappeal

Awards
  • Established
I did 3 trial days and built up the fast 12 to 14 hours.I will be doing 16/8 starting Monday. I found the BCAA's (Xtend) def helped. I was actually surprised how easy it was. I usually have a monster appetite when I get up. I usually always go over my cals for the day also. This method really gives you surprising control over your appetite.