How to trAck macros??

TheB3asT

TheB3asT

Awards
Never really understand the whole concept of tracking macros or how to do it??

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
work out kcal intake. set your goal.
Adjust on app or program for tracking, eneter weight etc for food volume at each meal, and most programs should give you a break down of how much of each macro you eat.
set your ratios if need be to meet certain protein and fat needs for that day. i.e .40g/lb for fat intake, at 1-1.5g/lb for protein.
carbs make up rest to spare aminos.

holysnikey

Awards
I use an app on Android called Calorie Counter by Fat Secret but there are tons of them. Most people start with a 40/40/20 ratio of Carbs/Protein/Fat and adjust from there. You would set your calories such as 3000 then you calculate 40% and 20% then calculate how many grams of carbs/protein equal 40% and how many grams of fat equal 20%.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
you just keep track of how many grams of protien, carbs and fat you eat

DJBeanPole

DJBeanPole

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
MyFitnessPal is what I use (.com) or app for iphone/droid

You can sit in front of a computer and type/search for the brand/product you ate, or you can use the app and actually scan the barcode right off of what you ate and typically it will find it. Pretty cool.

holysnikey

Awards
Very similar to Calorie Counter. These apps are pretty essential for a hard gainer especially ones who have a hard time eating enough.

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
My fitness pal is the way to go. It's smart easy and actually kind of fun too. I would use this daily it's the fastest way to track your macros that I've found on the web.

Gerbil

Gerbil

Awards
  • Established
You can use a website like fitday, calorie tracker, I believe livestrong also has a free calorie tracker.

On top of this invest in a decent scale it makes your measurements alot more accurate. Get into the habit of pouring liquids into a measuring cup or tablespoon when serving yourself.

It is always hard to start out because it is a bit time consuming but over time you will get much faster at counting macros. Eventually it will become second nature.

topcop8p8

topcop8p8

Awards
Agree with everybody that suggested my fitness pal. I've used a few different apps for tracking cals and macros, and my fitness pal has been the easiest by far.

sjm

Awards
Also since nobody has told you this yet surprisingly:

1g Protein = 4 cals
1g Carb = 4 cals
1g Fat = 9 cals

Might be useful

holysnikey

Awards
Also when bulking don't be afraid of fat or carbs especially as an endomorph. Not to say eat Big Macs and pizza all the time but healthy fatty food like fish, steak and certain oils are good as well as healthy Carb foods like oats, bran and other whole grains as well as fruits and veggies. Tons of complex carbs are great for upping calories.