Is dark chocolate really good for you?

butrybench555

Awards
Is dark chocolate really good for you? I've heard it's good for you but is it too Goood to be true?

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com

n87

Awards
  • Established
Good in moderation (lot of calories). Supposedly has a decent content of resveratrol. Sure is better than milk chocolate junk.

Lutztenways

Lutztenways

Awards
Additionally dark chocolate is touted as a source of monounsaturated fatty acids. A 2007 study is available on pubmed with this title: Monounsaturated fat-rich diet prevents central body fat distribution and decreases postprandial adiponectin expression induced by a carbohydrate-rich diet in insulin-resistant subjects. I can't post links yet. I know the study sounds very specific, and who knows how the results will translate into a trained population with a clean diet and well functioning insulin response.

I think it is the cacao content that you really want to pay attention to, the higher the percentage the more mufas you're getting. Up around 60 or 70% it becomes pretty bitter to my tongue and at 85% it's like eating batteries or something.

Of course mufas are also prevalent in various nuts, some fish, olive oil. Almonds for sure.

Macabre

Macabre

Awards
One of the most cut people I ever knew ate a half of a candy bar every day, but they had it worked out in their macros.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

ThunderHumper

Banned
Awards
It's because it has antioxidants and milk chocolate or white chocolate does not. Not sure if you know this, but oxygen allows us to live, but it slowly poisons us by oxidizing our body. Same with free radicals from cooking meats. Antioxidants help fight off these free radicals by binding a proton to them instead of them taking one from our organs. Basicly, antioxidants can make you live healthier longer and age slower.

bobbymac

bobbymac

Awards
Thinking there's got to be a better way to consume beneficial nutrients than by eating ANY chocolate....LOL.

Lutztenways

Lutztenways

Awards
Thinking there's got to be a better way to consume beneficial nutrients than by eating ANY chocolate....LOL.
High cacao dark chocolate isn't really candy or part of a cheat meal at all, there is definitely pain for your gain. I'd rather choke down brussels sprouts.

butrybench555

Awards
Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I love the ghiradhelli 100% cacao bars. I ate 2 of them on Wednesday with a chicken dish I made

Cacao contains anandamide pea and a lil caffeine.

Anandamiide act like a cb1 partial agonist. Caffeine a d pea are stims. If you eat too much (like the 2 bars I had) you'll definitely feel it. It destroys my appetite like no other.

Aside from that it has great orca value good fiber and fats. Some of the fats are not able to be digested though.

GreenEarth

GreenEarth

Awards
One of the most cut people I ever knew ate a half of a candy bar every day, but they had it worked out in their macros.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
I remember seeing a video of Dorian Yates training with Marc Lobliner, and Dorian had this segment where he talked about eating chocolate bars/candy a week out from BB competitions in the 90s, and how other competitors would look at him like he was insane, and he would argue that it fit into his calories and he liked the taste.

I thought that was pretty interesting. He was kind of IIFYM before IIFYM existed lol.

chil

chil

Banned
Awards
i would imagine it would have similar benefits to a glass of red wine once or twice a week... it can be beneficial but if overused can be detrimental

chil

chil

Banned
Awards
bill86

bill86

Awards
  • Established
yeah, as people have already said, its the cacao that's good for you as an antioxidant and has some cardiovascular benefits like a positive effect on blood pressure. the higher the cacao %, the better it is for you, however, the higher that % the grosser it tastes (imo)... just too bitter... plus, they recommend 100g a day to see the cardiovascular benefits which ends up being like half a bar of ghiradellis (sp?), which can get pretty expensive. i ate it everyday for about a month or two, but just dont like the taste, so i gave it up and spent the money on heart-healthy supplements haha.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I love the ghiradhelli 100% cacao bars. I ate 2 of them on Wednesday with a chicken dish I made

Cacao contains anandamide pea and a lil caffeine.

Anandamiide act like a cb1 partial agonist. Caffeine a d pea are stims. If you eat too much (like the 2 bars I had) you'll definitely feel it. It destroys my appetite like no other.

Aside from that it has great orca value good fiber and fats. Some of the fats are not able to be digested though.
Chicken dish?

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Chicken dish?
Yea man

Coconut milk
Lime
100% cacao (3 pieces of a bar)
Chili powder
Lemon pepper
Salt
Pepper
Sriracha
Little sugar
Can add a fruit like pineapple or mango for the sweetness

If you want add on at the end

coleman33

Awards
Good in moderation (lot of calories). Supposedly has a decent content of resveratrol. Sure is better than milk chocolate junk.
This is really good news, since I love it

RogerBob

RogerBob

Banned
Awards
When you say healthy, its BETTER than milk chocolate from a calorie point of view 85%+ but I wouldnt say its a staple