About to Attempt to Nail Down First CKD

Domenic

Domenic

Awards
  • Established
After I finish three more weeks of OEP + Shift I'll attempt to recomp with liquid T-911. I'm going to be doing low/no carbs on cardio/abs days... medium carbs ono Chest/Tri and Shoulder day... then higher carbs on Back/Bi and Leg days... I'm going to eat either to maintain or just very slightly below... so first thing is to figure out wtf my maintainance is... I used the big, long, complicated formula and I think I need 3,000 to maintain, but can't remember for sure and don't want to risk it... does that sound right? 5'11", 183 pounds... can see top 2 abs, sometimes top 4, but have a bunch of pudge underneath there... let me try to find that formula again, and come up with this diet, hopefully people will chime in and let me know if I'm doing anything horribly wrong.

Domenic

Domenic

Awards
  • Established
Low Carb Day:

Post Workout (first thing) 1.5 scoops protein

Meal 2: 5 eggs, 1/2 cup raw spinach

Meal 3: Chobani Plain Greek Yogurt + 2 tbsp. Natty PB

Meal 4: 5 Eggs + 1/2 cup raw spinach

Meal 5: 1.5 scoops protein

Meal 6: 12oz. Chicken Breast

Meal 7: 1/2 cup cottage cheese + 1 scoop protein + 1tbsp Natty PB

2,475 Calories
110g fat
52g Carbs
306g Protein

EDITED FOR BAD MATH

Domenic

Domenic

Awards
  • Established
Also, before anyone jumps on me, that MAY be 7 meals spread throughout the day because I really do enjoy eating all day, not because I think I'll lose all of my muscle if I don't eat every 2 hours. But it also may be LeanGains style... it depends on what fits my schedule.

Domenic

Domenic

Awards
  • Established
HIGH Carb Day

Post Workout: 1.5 Scoops Protein

Meal 2: 5 eggs + 1/2 cup spinach + 1 cup oats

Meal 3: 1 Chobani Greek Yogurt + 3/4 cup oats

Meal 4: 5 eggs + 1/2 cup (uncooked, whatever it yields once cooked) brown rice

Meal 5: 1.5 Scoops Protein

Meal 6: 1 can tuna

Meal 7: 1 cup cottage Cheese + 1 scoop protein

2,600 Calories
88g Fat
206g Carbs
247g Protein

Domenic

Domenic

Awards
  • Established
Bump? :(

5'11" 183? :-/

Bueler?

vassille

Awards
THis is what I would do
there is little point in eating 300g of protein drop it down to 225ish and keep it constant unless you splurge one day or something.
Keep fat up at 150g or about
Keep carbs at 50g when you dont workout in the morning and 125g when you workout. Eat those carbs mostly around the workout.
See how that works. Dont worry about carbs cycling it doesnt really work. Use more carbs when need it and cut back when you dont.
You do the math adding up all the calories the deficit/surplus adjust it with the fat
good luck

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You may have phrased something incorrectly, but from what you shared this is not a CKD. CKD involves a number of consecutive days of trace/no carbs with refeeds every 5-6 days. Looks like you're detailing something about a medium carb day in addition to your keto and refeed days? Don't.

On your keto days, it is recommended that carbs come from fibrous sources only; whereas you are eating cottage cheese on a keto day - I wouldn't do this, either. Why don't you go with the popular food choices, like eggs, steaks, hams, whole chicken/half chicken rotisseries? If you do that, and toss in some nuts and bags of broccoli and spinach, and maybe some coconut milk, it's pretty easy to meet the calorie needs for any individual wishing to undertake CKD.

Domenic

Domenic

Awards
  • Established
**** I did it wrong. Thanks, guys!!

Domenic

Domenic

Awards
  • Established
I didn't mean Cyclic Ketogenic, that was wrong... I just figured it was smart to have low/ no on cardio-only, moderate on shoulder day and chest/tri day, then high on leg and back/bi day because they're my biggest muscle groups and the carbs would go to work rather than being stored as fat... there's no validity to that?

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I didn't mean Cyclic Ketogenic, that was wrong... I just figured it was smart to have low/ no on cardio-only, moderate on shoulder day and chest/tri day, then high on leg and back/bi day because they're my biggest muscle groups and the carbs would go to work rather than being stored as fat... there's no validity to that?
No that's absolutely fine. That's commonly referred to as carb cycling, a very successful method for inducing favorable body composition changes. The thing about CKD is if you did it wrong it's possible you could just stress yourself and your body out and not get any results because you never actually entered into ketosis, which is almost always the cause of failure in CKD. But carb cycling is also good. Now I understand what you're doing, and it sounds reasonable.

Domenic

Domenic

Awards
  • Established
No that's absolutely fine. That's commonly referred to as carb cycling, a very successful method for inducing favorable body composition changes. The thing about CKD is if you did it wrong it's possible you could just stress yourself and your body out and not get any results because you never actually entered into ketosis, which is almost always the cause of failure in CKD. But carb cycling is also good. Now I understand what you're doing, and it sounds reasonable.
Yesssss. Thanks, pimpin'.

Bamski

Bamski

Awards
  • Established
Haha you got some good advise! You got the basics down all you got to do is fine tune it. Usually the carb cycle is about on the 7-9 day but what some people don't understand is it's not a cheat day. You just increase you veggie consumption or add in some rice that has a low GI and somewhat high fiber count. What are your "net" carbs looking like? I usually don't go by them and usually make a fiber goal soluble and insoluble.

Domenic

Domenic

Awards
  • Established
Haha you got some good advise! You got the basics down all you got to do is fine tune it. Usually the carb cycle is about on the 7-9 day but what some people don't understand is it's not a cheat day. You just increase you veggie consumption or add in some rice that has a low GI and somewhat high fiber count. What are your "net" carbs looking like? I usually don't go by them and usually make a fiber goal soluble and insoluble.
Net carbs? o_O

Bamski

Bamski

Awards
  • Established
Haha it's not even really worth the time to go into it. Just eat veggies that are high in fiber! And on carb load days, just add another sweet potato or even regular potato, rice, legumes, avocado, carrots, ect.. and that should be your carb up days.

vassille

Awards
Short answer is no!
I dont mean this in a bad way but I dont think you understand how carbs work.

Domenic

Domenic

Awards
  • Established
I'm just an ignorant white boy from South Florida trying to look good naked. I don't know nuffin'.

vassille

Awards
I'm just an ignorant white boy from South Florida trying to look good naked. I don't know nuffin'.
You are not ignorant lol
i think many ppl make more than should be made of carbs and it gets confusing after a while. Been doing this for 20 years im amazed how ppl try to sort of reinvent the wheel again and again.
THere is no such thing as carb cycling this is not a steroid cycle. Eat more carbs to replenish glycogen when need it but not enough to spill over and turn into fat.Eat less carbs when you dont need them on your day off but repleace calories with calories from fat. One meal a week eat whatever to keep your head straight and reset your thyroid.

If you eat low carbs then you need to get energy from somewhere...so you get it from fat. Protein is not a good source of energy.
With that being said you are looking at a low carb/high fat diet/med protein. That's it my friend.
Everything else is window dressing.

If you have more specific questions ask but the overall idea is as described above and it works.

Bamski

Bamski

Awards
  • Established
Couldn't have said it better myself. I just like to label things. Bad habit..

You've got some good advise here, now it's time to put it in to motion!

Domenic

Domenic

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, guys. Putting wheels in motion today. Will adjust as needed. Thanks for all the help.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
THere is no such thing as carb cycling this is not a steroid cycle. Eat more carbs to replenish glycogen when need it but not enough to spill over and turn into fat.Eat less carbs when you dont need them on your day off but repleace calories with calories from fat. One meal a week eat whatever to keep your head straight and reset your thyroid.
There is such a thing as carb cycling. You just described it.

vassille

Awards
There is such a thing as carb cycling. You just described it.
With all due respect this is a low carb diet. Carbs mainly stay around 50-125g every day. With carbs being this low our bodies will produce ketones and use fatty acids for fuel when energy is need it from fat.
There is no point in doing so called carb cycling...which to me would be no carb days, then med carb and high carb. I really dont see the point in doing that. Low carb is just that.... low carb! You dont have the no carb days or med carbs or high carb days. Carbs stay low all the time. Varying from 50-100g of carbs a day is not carb cycling...;)

Domenic

Domenic

Awards
  • Established
With all due respect this is a low carb diet. Carbs mainly stay around 50-125g every day. With carbs being this low our bodies will produce ketones and use fatty acids for fuel when energy is need it from fat.
There is no point in doing so called carb cycling...which to me would be no carb days, then med carb and high carb. I really dont see the point in doing that. Low carb is just that.... low carb! You dont have the no carb days or med carbs or high carb days. Carbs stay low all the time. Varying from 50-100g of carbs a day is not carb cycling...;)
My high is 200. :-/ low is 50, then 125 then 200.

Bamski

Bamski

Awards
  • Established
Haha I consider that low, mine is 50-75g LOW, 120-150g MED, and HIGH is 300-400g (talk about whole wheat pasta day! Yummmm). I don't cycle. My average is 75-150g, but when I do cycle those are my numbers.

vassille

Awards
My high is 200. :-/ low is 50, then 125 then 200.
I keep mine between 50-100. Maybe 125 if I feel drained.
50 on non-workout days, and 100 on workout.
Normally I eat 25-50g for breakfast, 50-75 before workout(1-2 hours). That's about it

200 is too high IMO. If you eat enough fat there is not need to be that high 125 will be plenty.
Give yourself about 2 weeks to get used to that and then it will be fine.
If you cant handle 125then bump it to 150 tops .

Domenic

Domenic

Awards
  • Established
What about these guys that I envy that eat, like, 300-400?

vassille

Awards
What about these guys that I envy that eat, like, 300-400?
I know what you mean...i can eat like that but I get fat in the 12% range as suppose to 8% bf or lower
I've done both diets..low fat/high carbs and high fat/low carbs
High fat/low carbs is far more superior in terms of muscle hardness, strength, and being lean!
With carbs you work your ass off and nothing to show for unless you do a boat load of cardio and maybe drugs too...and by the time you get lean you weak and looking like you hardly worked out!

vassille

Awards
It just depends on what your macros are.
Hard to keep insulin low eating that many carbs regardless of the macros. And the important factor is that growth hormon is not realeased in the presence of insulin which is huge.

Bamski

Bamski

Awards
  • Established
Hard to keep insulin low eating that many carbs regardless of the macros. And the important factor is that growth hormon is not realeased in the presence of insulin which is huge.
IIRC, GH peaks at exercise and sleep. Insulin is anabolic if you know how to keep it in check. Referring back to my previous post of my macros, I don't go that big unless I'm cycling, and that's 1 day out of 7. My average is 75-150 depending on the day. People seem to think carbs are the enemy and make you fat if you go over a certain percentage or what not. That's not the case, it's the type of carbs and the scheduling of when you eat them.

vassille

Awards
IIRC, GH peaks at exercise and sleep. Insulin is anabolic if you know how to keep it in check. Referring back to my previous post of my macros, I don't go that big unless I'm cycling, and that's 1 day out of 7. My average is 75-150 depending on the day. People seem to think carbs are the enemy and make you fat if you go over a certain percentage or what not. That's not the case, it's the type of carbs and the scheduling of when you eat them.
Gh is released throughout the day and night and yes a bigger shot you get at night. The catch is that when there is insulin there is no gh is just the way it works and it's a fact. To eat 400g of carbs a day it takes a lot of time to digest so you loose all the gh release since your body breaks down carbs.
Now I understand what you trying to say that you can time the carbs and stuff fine as long as you dont eat too many and do not eat them throughout the day because it defeats the purpose. Carbs are used for one purpose, energy. Yes insulin is anabolic so it's testosterone BUT GH is even better...it sheds fat, is also anabolic and encourges the production of IGF which can multiply muscle cells. Now Pros try to do both use insulin for the anabolic effect and GH for muscle cell multiplication. Now I hope you understand my point. If you dont take all those drugs stick with low carbs you will get fat eventually if you try to imitate those guys. This carb cycling stuff comes from them because of their insulin use.
I can assure you im on a low carb diet and I get muscle growth and great pumps without a lot of insulin release. So spiking insulin because you think is anabolic will get you nowhere but get you fat unless your glycogen is low and you just replenishing that otherwise all extra glucose will become fat...your body cant get rid of it any other way unless you exercise continuously till all the energy is used up from those carbs.
Carbs are not the enemy I eat them too not for anabolic affect necessarely but to replace glycogen so I dont need a ton of them to accomplish that. I know when to eat them so it has minimal effect on my gh release.

Bamski

Bamski

Awards
  • Established
Lol i dont think you got my point but, i admire your detailed report and im glad you know how to use carbs to your advantage.

jpblann

jpblann

Awards
You are not ignorant lol
i think many ppl make more than should be made of carbs and it gets confusing after a while. Been doing this for 20 years im amazed how ppl try to sort of reinvent the wheel again and again.

If you eat low carbs then you need to get energy from somewhere...so you get it from fat. Protein is not a good source of energy.
With that being said you are looking at a low carb/high fat diet/med protein. That's it my friend.
Everything else is window dressing.

If you have more specific questions ask but the overall idea is as described above and it works.
Some of the best advice I've seen on here... Repd

vassille

Awards
Lol i dont think you got my point but, i admire your detailed report and im glad you know how to use carbs to your advantage.
lol I prob didnt..but we can all learn from one another;)