How long after a meal do YOU wait before training?

How long after a meal do YOU wait before training?

• Total voters

purebred

I have a buddy who will eat a meal a little over an hour before training. However, he drinks a Muscle Milk shake, followed by a pre-workout right before heading out to the gym. When I asked him how he feels when he does that, he responds nonchalantly, claiming he experiences no GI issues or upset. In fact, he says his workouts are great.

Am I the only the one that almost vomits at the thought of eating so close to training time? I personally need at least 1.5-2 hrs before training to let my food digest or else I have a poor quality workout due to GI upset and nausea.

Thoughts?

howwedo107

howwedo107

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Personally since most pre workouts...mine being Hemavol works better with an empty stomach I eat my complex carbs and protein 2-3 hours before the gym...

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have a buddy who will eat a meal a little over an hour before training. However, he drinks a Muscle Milk shake, followed by a pre-workout right before heading out to the gym. When I asked him how he feels when he does that, he responds nonchalantly, claiming he experiences no GI issues or upset. In fact, he says his workouts are great.

Am I the only the one that almost vomits at the thought of eating so close to training time? I personally need at least 1.5-2 hrs before training to let my food digest or else I have a poor quality workout due to GI upset and nausea.

Thoughts?

No you are not the only one. I have to train on an empty stomach or I feel like puking while working out. I workout right after I get up out of bed in the morning, unless I sleep in. Even then I still don't eat until after I've finished training.

JonRubio

JonRubio

Awards
  • Established
I wait 2-3 hours. I hate training on a full stomach.

purebred

No you are not the only one. I have to train on an empty stomach or I feel like puking while working out. I workout right after I get up out of bed in the morning, unless I sleep in. Even then I still don't eat until after I've finished training.
Essentially, you actually get around to working out about 30 minutes after you've gotten up, right? The reason I ask is due to the notion that it is best to give your body a certain amount of time after waking for something occur with the synovial fluid in your spine (something like that).

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Essentially, you actually get around to working out about 30 minutes after you've gotten up, right? The reason I ask is due to the notion that it is best to give your body a certain amount of time after waking for something occur with the synovial fluid in your spine (something like that).

I get up around 9am and start my warm up at the gym around 10:15-10:20am.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I have to lift with food in my stomach. I usually wait about 1 hour sometimes 2 hours for a supplements purpose. 3-4 may be a bit too long for me. Also I can't lift early AM, I prefer late night lifting. Not sure why.

howwedo107

howwedo107

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have to lift with food in my stomach. I usually wait about 1 hour sometimes 2 hours for a supplements purpose. 3-4 may be a bit too long for me. Also I can't lift early AM, I prefer late night lifting. Not sure why.
Same I like it late afternoon hate the mornings

cdup

cdup

Awards
Exactly. If I wait until the afternoon to workout or do a 2nd work out I have to wait at least a couple hours or I will fell sick.

broda

broda

Awards
  • Established
60-90 minutes. Generally when I eat I have pretty large meals so I wait for that to digest first since training while full is uncomfortable. Either that or I'll go to the gym on an empty stomach if I go early in the morning.

tjwoody

Awards
ive been doing like 2 hours but then take a preWO about 30/45 mins before.

tunnelrat

tunnelrat

Awards
  • Established
Pre-wo meal is always a large kale salad and 2 scoops of whey, 2 hours before training. This is an easily digestible meal by plan, and I have zero issues with compromised stim effects.