Are Macros All That Matter

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.88%

Are Macros All That Matter

If I am hitting my required macros, does it really matter what I am eating?

I am eating 300 cals under maintenance with a p/c/f ratio of 45/35/20. Most days I eat very clean, lots of veggies and lean proteins. My question is I usually have 1-2 days a week where I might not eat clean food but I still eat exactly the right number of cals and still have a p/c/f ratio of 45/35/20.

My main concern is putting on excess bf. Am I any more likely to gain extra bf by having a couple days a week where I might not eat totally clean but my cals are still right at 300 under maint? Compared to a diet where I hit the same macros, but the meals are ALL clean?

I am just curious what people here think about this

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  181 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.52%

Quote Originally Posted by N.Woods Giant View Post
    If I am hitting my required macros, does it really matter what I am eating?

I am eating 300 cals under maintenance with a p/c/f ratio of 45/35/20. Most days I eat very clean, lots of veggies and lean proteins. My question is I usually have 1-2 days a week where I might not eat clean food but I still eat exactly the right number of cals and still have a p/c/f ratio of 45/35/20.

My main concern is putting on excess bf. Am I any more likely to gain extra bf by having a couple days a week where I might not eat totally clean but my cals are still right at 300 under maint? Compared to a diet where I hit the same macros, but the meals are ALL clean?

I am just curious what people here think about this
    Even though some types of fat are more likely to be stored faster like saturated fat compared to omega 3 rich fish oil if you are under maintenance calories you shouldn't be gaining fat no mater what you eat.

Personally I find it very difficult to count calories from burgers and other high energy density food from take out grills and places like that. That contains a lot of fat and it's hard to estimate the total amount. Much easier when you cook for yourself
    "Train like God is watching. Never quit!"
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.88%

Quote Originally Posted by shockingfit View Post
    Even though some types of fat are more likely to be stored faster like saturated fat compared to omega 3 rich fish oil if you are under maintenance calories you shouldn't be gaining fat no mater what you eat.

Personally I find it very difficult to count calories from burgers and other high energy density food from take out grills and places like that. That contains a lot of fat and it's hard to estimate the total amount. Much easier when you cook for yourself

Thanks for the reply! I agree with the difficulty in counting cals from restaurants. I hardly ever eat out, the "less clean" meals I am referring to are things like grilling out my own burgers (which I weigh out before grilling) or grilling brats.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  181 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.52%

Quote Originally Posted by N.Woods Giant View Post
    Thanks for the reply! I agree with the difficulty in counting cals from restaurants. I hardly ever eat out, the "less clean" meals I am referring to are things like grilling out my own burgers (which I weigh out before grilling) or grilling brats.
    No worries then man, as long as you can count the calories it's all good. Good luck!
    "Train like God is watching. Never quit!"
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  160 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.69%

The only thing that matter IS hitting your macros (and micros). You could eat like that 7 days a week IMO. Try googling IIFYM. Just remember you have to get your micronutrients and fiber in too. (in other words you can't just eat pop tarts and protein shakes, you still have to eat your veggies)

Similar Forum Threads

1. leangains - help with the macros
    By jack3dbear in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-11-2012, 04:01 PM
  2. macros?
    By booya123 in forum Bulking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-26-2010, 04:57 AM
  3. Macros for a recomp....?
    By kjkriston in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 2