Peanut butter

0071982WC

0071982WC

Awards
Is throwing pb in your post workout shake a bad idea?

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
If its in your macro and kCal range , nope.

0071982WC

0071982WC

Awards
Don't pay much attention to macros..... More concerned if the high fat content will slow down protein absorption .

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
So if you do not pay attention to macros why mind adding PB? Protein is just a macro , and if bro-science answers like: "You need to get your protein in ASAP after working out!! OH AND MAKE IT MUSCLE TECH to get it absorbed faster..." well this is not the forum for that ;D! Here in AM we mind macros , know that protein shakes is just a convenient way to fill in macros and kCals of the day :)!, but to answer your question , no it won't slow it down to a point that would matter anyway.

0071982WC

0071982WC

Awards
image-3670363431.jpg

Sounds to me like your trying to be condescending........ Don't count macros and stay shredded year round! Just asking for opinions not negative feedback.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
View attachment 59379

Sounds to me like your trying to be condescending........ Don't count macros and stay shredded year round! Just asking for opinions not negative feedback.
Gave yah feedback :3 , but , NOT watching macros won't get you past 160lbs or pushing your strength further, but I guess that depends on goals :) and having had 6.9% bf myself I still much rather keep training for size and strength for now , so if u wanna act cool or intimidate me xD tough luck broski , I don't feel threatened by bro's with 160lb weight and tiny frame at 5'9" hehe , besides its all a matter of goals , if you wanna "stay shredded" year round its up to you ;p I rather only cut out when I feel like doing it.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Hm...if its a bit of importance to you...if its natural kind and you throw in some carbs in it...and higher content leucine and hydrosolate protein , it does help for faster absorption , some friends like it with a banana, PB , bulk leucine , some casein and hydrosolates and the occasional ice cream scoop to help with the insulin spike and simple carbs...IMO, it just makes it taste f*cking good too..

0071982WC

0071982WC

Awards
Frozen bananas are what I use, but Ice cream does sound way good... Only problem is once I try that I'll probably get hooked.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Frozen bananas are what I use, but Ice cream does sound way good... Only problem is once I try that I'll probably get hooked.
Lol...you don't watch macros so f*ck it lol, the best way to take carbs IMO and with LG and CBL ideology is post workout and making them simple generates the insulin spike optimizing protein absorbtion , given that other pathways of stimulation for it are also there, like high leucine and hydrosolates , remembering to throw in a good ratio of whey and casein

sidoious

sidoious

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Is throwing pb in your post workout shake a bad idea?
I'd recommend PB2 powdered peanut butter. Great tasting stuff with 85% less calories because they leave most of the fat and sugars out in the expelling process to powderize the peanut butter. Mixes and tastes well in shakes, smoothies, yogurt, etc. Awesome stuff!

www.smartpowders.com screen capture 2012-6-11-10-33-34.png

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
I'd recommend PB2 powdered peanut butter. Great tasting stuff with 85% less calories because they leave most of the fat and sugars out in the expelling process to powderize the peanut butter. Mixes and tastes well in shakes, smoothies, yogurt, etc. Awesome stuff!

View attachment 59384
So you are basically recommending a powder that tastes like Peanut Butter only? With none of the properties and advantages of Mono-sat fats that PB poses, none of the protein it carries and only 5 grams of carbs which still has some sugar in it...At that point why not just buy Peanut Butter flavored Protein Powder :)?...The importance of Peanut Butter is adding Healthy Fats and extra calories to a protein shake, while indulging on the added benefit of taste and consistency...With this "train of thought" you proposed of merely flavoring it , how is it better than buying (like aforementioned) a protein powder with said taste...beats the whole point IMO.

sidoious

sidoious

Banned
Awards
  • Established
So you are basically recommending a powder that tastes like Peanut Butter only? With none of the properties and advantages of Mono-sat fats that PB poses, none of the protein it carries and only 5 grams of carbs which still has some sugar in it...At that point why not just buy Peanut Butter flavored Protein Powder :)?...The importance of Peanut Butter is adding Healthy Fats and extra calories to a protein shake, while indulging on the added benefit of taste and consistency...With this "train of thought" you proposed of merely flavoring it , how is it better than buying (like aforementioned) a protein powder with said taste...beats the whole point IMO.
Yes I am.

Kingjake

Kingjake

Awards
Yea I read somewhere that high fat foods like peanut butter when eaten with protein do slow the digestion of protein.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Bras hanging on the bathroom door.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
007 - your 160 lbs @ 5'9

U look 190 with that density and those guns dude

props

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

View attachment 59384
Wtf's the point in having peanut butter then... people eat peanut butter because its calorie dense, has good protein and good fats... defeats the purpose. Maybe you should post that up in a health and nutrition forum, not a BBing forum :) they might benefit from it as some people love peanut butter but hate the calories. Food For Thought.

To answer OP's question, even if peanut butter does slow down protein absorption, it doesnt matter. Your body wont source the protein from your muscles (which I assume is why your asking?) as long as your macros are in check. Now, I did note that you said you dont watch your calorie intake which is fine but as long as you know your hittng your macros you will be fine.

bomcgraw

bomcgraw

Awards
Hell I eat peanut butter every chance I get. Sometimes post workout, usually before bed, and any other random time I think about it. My goal is to gain weight tho and I have a very high metabolism so I need everything I can get. It's an affordable way for me to get extra carbs since I run too and burn a lot.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Peanut butter owns and I use 2-3 tablespoons with 10 oz of vanilla greek yogurt, a banana, 2% milk, and ice twice a day. It helps you wake up like a champ when you eat it right before bed, too.

krakken

krakken

Awards
View attachment 59379

Dude. Is it cold where your at ? lol... The bra joke too.. that's funny. Idk whether to take it as a compliment or a joke anymore when girls say I have bigger boobs than they do. Don't get any ideas guys, at 11% bf they are not man boobs.

Also, is it necessary to throw pb in your post shake? Like, does your shake taste like **** or what? Need more cals? If your trying to add more calories just wait a few hours later to eat some pb straight if your worried about it messing with protein absorption. Btw, props on the physique 007, looking shredded.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Serious question: Anyone else eat 1/2 jar w/o eating blinking? Once I figure out half the jar is gone I usually feel bad but I could polish off a jar EASY!

I avoid pnut for this reason: zero control

bomcgraw

bomcgraw

Awards
Serious question: Anyone else eat 1/2 jar w/o eating blinking? Once I figure out half the jar is gone I usually feel bad but I could polish off a jar EASY!

Same here. When I realize I've ate that much I hide the jar in the pantry and hope my wife doesn't notice the new jar is empty haha.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
whether pb slows down digestion post workout is irrelevant

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
haha yuppp! That stuff is CRACK

Same here. When I realize I've ate that much I hide the jar in the pantry and hope my wife doesn't notice the new jar is empty haha.

0071982WC

0071982WC

Awards
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who can polish off a whole jar of pb in one sitting!

0071982WC

0071982WC

Awards
Dude. Is it cold where your at ? lol... The bra joke too.. that's funny. Idk whether to take it as a compliment or a joke anymore when girls say I have bigger boobs than they do. Don't get any ideas guys, at 11% bf they are not man boobs.

Also, is it necessary to throw pb in your post shake? Like, does your shake taste like **** or what? Need more cals? If your trying to add more calories just wait a few hours later to eat some pb straight if your worried about it messing with protein absorption. Btw, props on the physique 007, looking shredded.
Thanks bro!

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
i say that because meal timing is also irrelevant, from the avi pic it seems he's doing everything right to begin with

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I know this is the vogue mindset THESE Days but Im no certain I believe this anymore.

I think the PWO-window is over-exaggerated but not entirely BS

i say that because meal timing is also irrelevant, from the avi pic it seems he's doing everything right to begin with

0071982WC

0071982WC

Awards
I'm no scholar or anything, but meal timing and regularity has worked well for me. Have I tried iIF or anything else..... No I like to eat often! I train fasted, so I really enjoy a immediate post workout meal. Is my eating protocol correct/ or the only way, I have no clue. I just love to lift and hear what has worked for you guys...... I'm a firm believer in bro science simply because it typically comes from trial and error as opposed to a flawed study or textbook.... I hope I haven't started anything, just stating my unprofessional opinion.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
DITTO ;)

Everyone tries to subscribe to a popular mindset and one-size-fits-all mentality (I HAVE DONE THE SAME) and I have found it just doesnt work.

I tried the I-F regimine and hated it

I do much better with:

1) Training fasted in the AM
2) NO/LOW Carbs at night
3) 5 small meals (lean meat, healthy fats and veggies for the most part)
4) Low carbs/Moderate Protein
5) 1 binge/cheat meals (carb up) every 3rd or 4trh day (depends how strict I was on previous days)
6) BCAA's out the wazoo pre/peri-post training
7) Light Cardio at night
8) Lots of greens

It's taken me YEARS to figure out what works FOR ME

Everyone should do the same

I have bought into and wasted my time on so much BS over the years :(

For me???
PWO carbs is BS
HIGH protein is BS (Im 220, I eat ~200 grams)
Protein shakes suck
Carbs make me FAT
Fasted Training makes me feel like a million bucks
Stims are over-rated for fat loss
Many training methods are flat out RETARDED

Thats all for now :D

I know this is the vogue mindset THESE Days but Im no certain I believe this anymore.

I think the PWO-window is over-exaggerated but not entirely BS
I'm no scholar or anything, but meal timing and regularity has worked well for me. Have I tried iIF or anything else..... No I like to eat often! I train fasted, so I really enjoy a immediate post workout meal. Is my eating protocol correct/ or the only way, I have no clue. I just love to lift and hear what has worked for you guys...... I'm a firm believer in bro science simply because it typically comes from trial and error as opposed to a flawed study or textbook.... I hope I haven't started anything, just stating my unprofessional opinion.

0071982WC

0071982WC

Awards
Couldn't have said it better bro! Our training and diet protocols are practically identical.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
DITTO ;)

It's taken me YEARS to figure out WHAT WORKS FOR ME

Everyone should do the same
ding ding ding. Everyone is different and what works for some, may not work for others. Hell, I am 38 and I don't know a single other person my age that could eat like I do and not get fat. lol

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Meal timing is irrelevant in terms of HOW you grow and replenishment of muscle glycogen stores etc. Before, timing was thought to be everything; if you didnt consume something within 30mins post exercise then the workout was not thought to be as productive. However this is proven to be seimi incorrect. Obviously personal preferences about when to eat are entirely up to you. But in terms of growth and gains, timing is not essential.

Some people respnd better to having food pre exercise, others do not. All this means, is that as long as you get in those macros (whenever suits you best, or whatever works for you) it doesnt matter.

200g of protein at 9am and 200g of protein at 9pm is still 200g of protein for that day. Meal timing is basically trying to get the most out of your workout, but we now know this isnt as essential.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Some good non-bro-logic posts here ;)

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Search for "power butter"...32 grams
of protein per 4 tablespoon serving. AND it's even disguisting

Celorza

Celorza

Awards

On a cheatmeal I downed a whole jar of natural peanut butter, a whole loaf of ezekiel bread and didn't hold back on the fat free milk either...I did that after 6 months of cutting and not a single cheat meal...No regrets there seriously lol

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
http://books.google.co.nz/books?hl=en&lr=&id=1V5kI950838C&oi=fnd&pg=PA1&dq=meal+timing+AND+glycogen+stores&ots=cF9G2T0sbi&sig=O4_iNFWqByrsXYnfD-fEegyiHLo#v=onepage&q=meal timing AND glycogen stores&f=false

http://www.leangains.com/

http://www.leangains.com/search/label/Meal Frequency

http://books.google.co.nz/books?hl=en&lr=&id=1V5kI950838C&oi=fnd&pg=PA163&dq=Meal+timing+AND+muscle+growth&ots=cF9G2T1sdb&sig=HmD-p0NjgtMPSCVwg2KfXnxR50g#v=onepage&q=Meal timing AND muscle growth&f=false

See studies post 2010 on meal frequency and timing for what i am talking about.

Some good non-bro-logic posts here ;)
Most studies focus on pre-exercise meal timing in order to get nutrients to the body when you need them the most and most of these studies are based on endurance athletes in which meal timing is important (try running a marathon while fasted).
when it comes to muscle hypertrophy, meal timing is not important. Otherwise LeanGains style diets would not work. It used to be thought that not eating within set time frames would mean that muscles would be catabolized for nutrients and fuel during fasted periods, however this isnt quite the case. If you are placing continuous and repetitive stress on muscles week after week, the muscles must grow to adapt to the stress (hence why we grow), when insuffiecient stress is placed on muscles consistantly, the body no longer needs the added muscle and it begins to atrophy. The body wont catabolize muscle for fuel (or at least very minimally) if the body thinks it needs it.

consider an astronaut. On earth, the body needs the skeleton to hold up muscles due to the acceleration of gravity and the stress of the weight of muscles on the skeleton. In space where there is no gravity, there is no longer any need for a sturdy skeleton as there is no external stress placed on the body. Therefore the body begins (and rapidly so) deminerizing the skeleton (remving calcium) as we simply have no ned for it. to combat this, astronuats continually place stress on the skeleton to prevent it demineralizing.

Meal timing simply ensures the body is adequatly fuelled for the next bout of exercise and ensures it has enough raw materials to repair and grow. Whether you get that in 30 mins after exercise or 3 hours has little effect over the end result

broda

broda

Awards
  • Established
DITTO ;)

Everyone tries to subscribe to a popular mindset and one-size-fits-all mentality (I HAVE DONE THE SAME) and I have found it just doesnt work.

I have bought into and wasted my time on so much BS over the years :(

For me???
PWO carbs is BS
HIGH protein is BS (Im 220, I eat ~200 grams)
Protein shakes suck
Carbs make me FAT
Fasted Training makes me feel like a million bucks
Stims are over-rated for fat loss
Many training methods are flat out RETARDED

Thats all for now :D
Agreed completely! Especially with the protein intake. I usually only take in anywhere from 130-150g of protein @ 170 while recomping and I'm maintaining my weight while losing fat on IF. Also fasting training is great since your energy levels are higher than compared eating pre-workout and having your body trying to digest everything while working out which I feel like hinders me. I hate how people think that if you train fasted you'll be burning straight muscle since they think you're catabolic if you don't have protein intake for 3 hours.

0071982WC

0071982WC

Awards
http://books.google.co.nz/books?hl=en&lr=&id=1V5kI950838C&oi=fnd&pg=PA1&dq=meal+timing+AND+glycogen+stores&ots=cF9G2T0sbi&sig=O4_iNFWqByrsXYnfD-fEegyiHLo#v=onepage&q=meal%20timing%20AND%20glycogen%20stores&f=false

http://www.leangains.com/

http://www.leangains.com/search/label/Meal%20Frequency

http://books.google.co.nz/books?hl=en&lr=&id=1V5kI950838C&oi=fnd&pg=PA163&dq=Meal+timing+AND+muscle+growth&ots=cF9G2T1sdb&sig=HmD-p0NjgtMPSCVwg2KfXnxR50g#v=onepage&q=Meal%20timing%20AND%20muscle%20growth&f=false

See studies post 2010 on meal frequency and timing for what i am talking about.

Most studies focus on pre-exercise meal timing in order to get nutrients to the body when you need them the most and most of these studies are based on endurance athletes in which meal timing is important (try running a marathon while fasted).
when it comes to muscle hypertrophy, meal timing is not important. Otherwise LeanGains style diets would not work. It used to be thought that not eating within set time frames would mean that muscles would be catabolized for nutrients and fuel during fasted periods, however this isnt quite the case. If you are placing continuous and repetitive stress on muscles week after week, the muscles must grow to adapt to the stress (hence why we grow), when insuffiecient stress is placed on muscles consistantly, the body no longer needs the added muscle and it begins to atrophy. The body wont catabolize muscle for fuel (or at least very minimally) if the body thinks it needs the fuel.

consider an astronaut. On earth, the body needs the skeleton to hold up muscles due to the acceleration of gravity and the stress of the weight of muscles on the skeleton. In gravity where there is no gravity, there is no longer any need for a sturdy skeleton as there is no external stress placed on the body. Therefore the body begins (and rapidly so) deminerizing the skeleton (remving calcium) as we simply have no ned for it. to combat this, astronuats continually place stress on the skeleton to prevent it demineralizing.

Meal timing simply ensures the body is adequatly fuelled for the next bout of exercise and ensures it has enough raw materials to repair and grow. Whether you get that in 30 mins after exercise or 3 hours has little effect over the end result
Schmiddle dee..... Protocols change every year or so.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Schmiddle dee..... Protocols change every year or so.
Not so. Many recent studies now focus entirely on muscular hypertrophy specifically, whereas before they were based almost entirely on endurance athletes and the protocols were thought to be similar and so the principles were used interchangably.

Im not saying what you do is wrong, if that works for you and your getting your macros in then your doing everything im arguing for. All im saying is that you eat when you want to eat and what works best for you as long as total macro needs are met, you will contiune to grow.