When you're eating clean, where do most of your calories come from?

jaycuda

jaycuda

Awards
  • Established
Just like the title says: When you're eating clean, where do most of your calories come from? Looking for specifics.

Lately a lot of my calories are from peanut butter sandwiches on whole grain bread. Healthiest food I can easily make and that tastes good.

broda

broda

Awards
  • Established
Milk and peanut butter sandwiches for me too. Cost effective and easy. If you can tolerate it, a lot of rice can do well. A $4 bag will last me 2 weeks and I'll get 680 calories/day from 1 cup of uncooked rice.

bmftisftw

bmftisftw

Banned
Awards
I like to get alot of my calories from dairy and I eat pretty clean. Eggs/Milk/Choc.Milk/Greek yogurt/ Cottage Cheese are all great sources. I work in a grocery store so I just classify eggs as dairy. Then I get the rest of it from like lean meats/ complex carbs like rice/oats and protein shakes

bklaves

bklaves

Awards
Eggs, milk, oats, chicken, steak, almonds, PB, skim milk, greens. That is all she wrote.

bmftisftw

bmftisftw

Banned
Awards
Here is a typical day for me.

Protein shake upon waking up
1 scoop soy + 1 scoop whey 45g pro
1cup oats with a scoop of protein in it or either protein yogurt on the side or tall glass of half/half fat free milk and chocolate milk- ~41g protein
Workout
Post workout shake 1 1/2 scoops of soy + 1 1/2 scoops of whey 72.5gProtein
6 eggs + 1 cup of cheese + tall glass of milk or a chobani yogurt = ~60 g protein
1/2 lb hamburger + 1 cup of vegetables + 1 cup of cottage cheese ~62 g protein
And if im really hungry Ill have a snack inbetween one of these meals with at least 20g of protein.
And a protein shake at the end of the night 1scoop casein/ 1 scoop of soy

Its a dirty bulk but its cleaner than ALOT of other bulks. I also eat fruits throughout the day like bananas, peaches, and strawberries. I also shoot for 250-300 grams of protein. I do this because pretty much everything has carbs and youre gonna get alot of calories from dairy. Now I know im going to be getting some hate, but Im not trying to be a fitness model or body builder. I like to powerlift, but if you want to be those just look at those carbs and fats and substitute other foods in there that are low in fats and carbs like tuna, etc etc you get what im trying to say. Just trying to help your bulk hopefully this gave a good idea. I dont claim to know everything as im still learning too :)

broda

broda

Awards
  • Established
6 eggs? I really wish I could like eggs that much for protein purposes. I can barely choke down 4 of them because I'm really not big on them at all.

bmftisftw

bmftisftw

Banned
Awards
A little bit of ketchup / and some peppers go a LONG way. all about those little side flavoring. and a little bit of ketchup isnt that big of a calorie raise for a condement so its all good :)

jaycuda

jaycuda

Awards
  • Established
Here is a typical day for me.

Protein shake upon waking up
1 scoop soy + 1 scoop whey 45g pro
1cup oats with a scoop of protein in it or either protein yogurt on the side or tall glass of half/half fat free milk and chocolate milk- ~41g protein
Workout
Post workout shake 1 1/2 scoops of soy + 1 1/2 scoops of whey 72.5gProtein
6 eggs + 1 cup of cheese + tall glass of milk or a chobani yogurt = ~60 g protein
1/2 lb hamburger + 1 cup of vegetables + 1 cup of cottage cheese ~62 g protein
And if im really hungry Ill have a snack inbetween one of these meals with at least 20g of protein.
And a protein shake at the end of the night 1scoop casein/ 1 scoop of soy

Its a dirty bulk but its cleaner than ALOT of other bulks. I also eat fruits throughout the day like bananas, peaches, and strawberries. I also shoot for 250-300 grams of protein. I do this because pretty much everything has carbs and youre gonna get alot of calories from dairy. Now I know im going to be getting some hate, but Im not trying to be a fitness model or body builder. I like to powerlift, but if you want to be those just look at those carbs and fats and substitute other foods in there that are low in fats and carbs like tuna, etc etc you get what im trying to say. Just trying to help your bulk hopefully this gave a good idea. I dont claim to know everything as im still learning too :)
Yeah dairy is definitely a good idea for extra calories, not a huge fan of a lot of lactose when trying to stay in low BF%s though.

bmftisftw

bmftisftw

Banned
Awards
Yeah dairy is definitely a good idea for extra calories, not a huge fan of a lot of lactose when trying to stay in low BF%s though.
I would say just cut out alot of the cheese and stuff and use more of fat free cottage cheese/milk etc etc

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
eggs, chicken, steak, pork, salmon, rice, oats, extra virgin olive oil. just started keto so take out the rice and oats and replace with avocado and green veggies. but lots of eggs 10 hardboiled this morning

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Fat makes up most of my clean calories. This is from eggs, nuts, and red meat. Most of my carbs come from oats and milk, consumed usually post workout. I do eat lots of fruit but it probably only adds up to about 230ish calories plus or minus 50.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Whole eggs, ground sirloin, EVCO, and red potatoes make up the majority of my calories.

jaycuda

jaycuda

Awards
  • Established
Whole eggs, ground sirloin, EVCO, and red potatoes make up the majority of my calories.
Red potatoes, that's a new one for me. I'll have to give those a shot.

jaycuda

jaycuda

Awards
  • Established
eggs, chicken, steak, pork, salmon, rice, oats, extra virgin olive oil. just started keto so take out the rice and oats and replace with avocado and green veggies. but lots of eggs 10 hardboiled this morning
What do you eat your oats with?

Fat makes up most of my clean calories. This is from eggs, nuts, and red meat. Most of my carbs come from oats and milk, consumed usually post workout. I do eat lots of fruit but it probably only adds up to about 230ish calories plus or minus 50.
Yeah, fats are definitely making up a good portion of my calories. Judging by body composition, for me personally, carbs keep me from dropping my BF% way more than fats do.

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
usually a packet of splenda and some cinnamon

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Clean is a hard word for me but so long as it's gluten free and sugar free I tend to eat it.

White rice, sweet potatoes, any cut of beef pork or chicken. Some eggs (as I feel off when eating too many).

shockingfit

shockingfit

Awards
1. Breakfast - Oatmeal + small amount of flax seeds, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds + banana, whey, green tea and 10 egg whites
2. 3. - fillers while at work- steamed chicken breast or turkey, 2 egg whites, some beans + brown rice, green bell pepper, broccoli and cucumber
4. before workout - lean beef, 2 egg whites, some beans + brown rice, tomato, green bell pepper, broccoli and cucumber
5. after workout - steamed chicken breast or turkey, 2 egg whites, some beans + brown rice, green bell pepper, broccoli and cucumber
6. before bed - low fat cottage cheese, almonds, pumpkin seeds, egg yolk and omega 3 fish oil

That was on my last bulk :) Had like 1 cheat meal every month!

WPChickDiesel

WPChickDiesel

Awards
I would say just cut out alot of the cheese and stuff and use more of fat free cottage cheese/milk etc etc
Fat free cheese and milks will still contain lactose sugars and still irritate a sensitive stomach.
Better would be to opt for RAW CHEESE and RAW MILK, some RAW cheeses you can find in the health food section in grocery stores or in your local nutritional grocery store (ie,whole foods,natural foods warehouse). RAW cheese is unpasteurized which is the process that incidentally removes the very much important digestive enzymes, not to mention a hundred of other beneficial nutrients from the product. Lactose intolerant people can enjoy a much heartier and full flavored cheese without having to worry about the woes of it's processed cousin! Also you benefit from it containing more CLA than most other dairy products unless you are of course also drinking RAW milk. Depending on where you live, you will need to either specially order it, or visit the local farm in your area to purchase it. Lots of bodybuilders also drink the RAW colostrum for building incredible gains and still leaning out and keeping your immune system up to par.

broda

broda

Awards
  • Established
Raw cow milk is the greatest thing ever. Have a farm only a few miles from my house and I love it!

WPChickDiesel

WPChickDiesel

Awards
Raw cow milk is the greatest thing ever. Have a farm only a few miles from my house and I love it!
Im officially jealous! That's freaking awesome! how much is it? Here at the one farm that is about 50 miles one way, it's $6/gallon, and their Colostrum is $12/gallon.
I had an autistic client that I put on a RAW diet for neurological benefits, it's also good for people with epilepsy, parkinsons, and attention deficit disorders.
Another thing is I was amazed by the excellent taste of course, but also that it had virtually no "scent" at all, like regular milk. My kids love it and ask for it a lot! If I can't get that I usually buy them organic flax milk or the organic cow milk.

broda

broda

Awards
  • Established
It costs me $8/gallon. It's kind of a heavy price but it's worth it I think.

jbonez

jbonez

Banned
Awards
100% whole wheat potato bread
ham (deli meat)
buffalo chicken (deli meat)
tomatoes
pickles (if u want)
hummus all over it

owned

owlicks

owlicks

Awards
Christ. Some things to point out about this thread:

1. Peanut butter and wheat bread sandwiches the healthiest thing? Why don't you just go eat a bag of Cheetos?
2. Good suggestions w/the chicken, steak, eggs, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, greens.
3. It's not carbs in general that will kill you, it's simple carbs. For that reason I try to avoid sugar at all costs when I'm cutting. I don't drink milk, not because it's particularly bad, but because it's too high in sugar compared to plain Greek yogurt or cottage cheese.
4. If you don't like eggs, do it like me and buy cartons of 100% natural egg whites. I throw 3/4 cup in with my protein shake in the morning. I think that's equivalent to the egg whites of something like 12 eggs, but I forget. Anywho, great source of protein, tastes great in the shake, no hassle.
5. Stay away from raw milk. It's not a cure all, it's a scam. I am most certainly biased on this issue because I spent years of my life doing foodborne illness law (I'm an attorney). You have no idea how much devastation raw milk has caused, and the sad part is the people that are peddling it are advertising it as a cure-all. People are buying it, feeding it to their kids, who are at risk of getting very very sick (or dying) from E. coli. The farmers are selling raw milk because it's a cash cow (no pun intended).

I won't deny that there may be some additional health benefits to raw milk. But whatever they are, they are very minimal compared to the risk of the diseases you can get from drinking milk tainted with cow sh*t. As one of the attorneys I worked with likes to point out, look where the udders are and look where the cow's a** is. Is it any surprise that the milk is contaminated with poop?

Pasteurization was invented 150 years ago PRECISELY because people were getting sick and dying from tainted milk. Come on folks, be smarter than that.

owlicks

owlicks

Awards
100% whole wheat potato bread
ham (deli meat)
buffalo chicken (deli meat)
tomatoes
pickles (if u want)
hummus all over it

owned
You'll have a body like Rosie O'donnell in no time with that diet.

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
I make meatloaf with wholewheat bread crumbs,
Oats with protein honey and penut butter
Whole milk (usually when i havn't planned enough for work)
Cottage cheese
Home made protien bars
Steaks,
Chicken Kebabs (post workout). I get double meat, humus, letus and tomato on a wholewheat wrap. An easy 600 cals.
Rice if i still need more cals.

Wygdwicfy

Awards
Lean meats, dairy products, and lentils. Largest chunk of my calories right there.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ground turkey, red meat, eggs, rice, red potatoes

vassille

Awards
Yeah, fats are definitely making up a good portion of my calories. Judging by body composition, for me personally, carbs keep me from dropping my BF% way more than fats do.[/QUOTE]

Bingo!!
Fats/cholesterol are precursors to testosterone. Carbs are not. That's why you drop more with fats.