Good or bad nutrition for bulking?

willc86

Awards
Well, so far what I've been doing has been working for a while. I went from 170 to 210lbs and now, currently, I am 212; however, I wanted to get some opinions of more experienced people out there who are maybe better experienced in nutrition then I am in the long run.

Well, I figured one of the best life savers is bread. Wheat bread that is. I eat about 6 times a day, but having to be in school a lot and work, I found out the best secret to consume calories!

4 slices of plain bread. (1 slice = 100 calories 5g protein 1g sugar 1% fat and rest is carbs)
and 1 to 2 sccops of protein around 100-200 calories.

so in total, i consume 500-600 calories on the go. but the source is just bread and protein; and that is about 2 to 3 times a day lol. any thoughts? sounds good, sounds bad?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
What type of bread?

DeFos3

DeFos3

Awards
If you are going to eat that much bread look into getting some Ezekiel sprouted grain bread.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'd rather have almonds or cashews or some boiled eggs.

LikeMike

Awards
If you are going to eat that much bread look into getting some Ezekiel sprouted grain bread.
^^^ This. It's in the freezer section of my grocery store and has a really good nutritional profile. Oh and that is one sexy squat in your avatar.

DeFos3

DeFos3

Awards
I always keep a good stock of the sesame and the cinnamon/raisin varieties in my fridge. My kids love it too and actually can't stand traditional bread.

And yes very sexy. I would be her spotter anyday/anytime.

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
This is the type of bread I would suggest. It is full of grains and good stuff for you. If your going to eat a surplus of bread at least make sure its good bread

willc86

Awards
awesome thanks for the feed back. umm I never seen ezekial bread. Ive heard this bread from many body builders at the gym and now you guys are recommending it lol. do they sell it at wal mart?

vassille

Awards
Well, so far what I've been doing has been working for a while. I went from 170 to 210lbs and now, currently, I am 212; however, I wanted to get some opinions of more experienced people out there who are maybe better experienced in nutrition then I am in the long run.

Well, I figured one of the best life savers is bread. Wheat bread that is. I eat about 6 times a day, but having to be in school a lot and work, I found out the best secret to consume calories!

4 slices of plain bread. (1 slice = 100 calories 5g protein 1g sugar 1% fat and rest is carbs)
and 1 to 2 sccops of protein around 100-200 calories.

so in total, i consume 500-600 calories on the go. but the source is just bread and protein; and that is about 2 to 3 times a day lol. any thoughts? sounds good, sounds bad?
Bread is good if you expand a lot of energy otherwise it will turn to fat. Carbs in general if you eat them without using them for energy will be stored as fat. So if you want to gain weight I guess you can use it but if you want to gain quality muscle you need protein and fat.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Bread is good if you expand a lot of energy otherwise it will turn to fat. Carbs in general if you eat them without using them for energy will be stored as fat. So if you want to gain weight I guess you can use it but if you want to gain quality muscle you need protein and fat.
Recheck your nutrition bro. ALL energy nutrients, protein included, can be stored as fat, not just carbohydrate. Also, CHO wont store as fat if you need that energy throughout the day, so unless your eating in excessive amounts (over say 1000kcals) it wont store as fat.

In fact, the least likely pathway for CHO is to be stored as fat as it is needed first and foremeost and muscular fuel and brain fuel.

vassille

Awards
Recheck your nutrition bro. ALL energy nutrients, protein included, can be stored as fat, not just carbohydrate. Also, CHO wont store as fat if you need that energy throughout the day, so unless your eating in excessive amounts (over say 1000kcals) it wont store as fat.

In fact, the least likely pathway for CHO is to be stored as fat as it is needed first and foremeost and muscular fuel and brain fuel.
There is too much too talk about when it comes to nutrition so I'll take the high road on this because I dont have the time to get into it
No offense you are partially correct about eating too much of anything is not good but at 6'1 195 you have most likley a lot more to try and study as to figure out what works. Eating bread all day long is not exactely a bodybuilding diet. It's a regular diet but that's about it.
If you want look at the diets of the golden era bodybuilders then look at the current times. You will see a big difference. Find out what the difference is and why then I'll entertain a discussion with you;)

JajaNe20

JajaNe20

Awards
  • Established
There is too much too talk about when it comes to nutrition so I'll take the high road on this because I dont have the time to get into it
No offense you are partially correct about eating too much of anything is not good but at 6'1 195 you have most likley a lot more to try and study as to figure out what works. Eating bread all day long is not exactely a bodybuilding diet. It's a regular diet but that's about it.
If you want look at the diets of the golden era bodybuilders then look at the current times. You will see a big difference. Find out what the difference is and why then I'll entertain a discussion with you;)
??? So your saying that the golden era of bber's adn modern era look different because of diet, I am just making sure I read that right....

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I have a masters degree in exercise physiology and graduated with honors in nutrition. Im free anytime ;)

vassille

Awards
??? So your saying that the golden era of bber's adn modern era look different because of diet, I am just making sure I read that right....
what im saying their diet is different based on the drugs they take today.

vassille

Awards
I have a masters degree in exercise physiology and graduated with honors in nutrition. Im free anytime ;)

I have a masters too lol. It doesnt mean all that much to me and I dont throw it around, i base my answers from 20 years of hands on experience in the iron game. What guys do today in the elite bodybuilding is not in any book really is more word of mouth and trial and error. But is nice to have a degree;)

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
True, but what you said could be misinterpreted. Any macronutrient has the capacity to 'turn' into fat. While what you said is correct, it implied that only CHO will turn into fat, which is an incorrect statement. Their diets may vary, that I don't disagree with, and there methods are also different, that too, i know.

It depends on what his goals are, if for example, he wanted to cut BF%, then I would recommend that he timed his CHO intake so that his body uses it before exercise and then during exercise, his body can rely on fat stores. However this also is not entirely correct. At high intensity training the proportion of fat burned during exercise may be lower, however the VOLUME of fat burned is higher, even as the body relys on CHO for fuel.
If his goal is to bulk, then CHO's, as well as proteins and fat are just as important.

All in all, nutrition is highly complex, as you said above and many people will have different opinions over what works for them and what doesn't. I'm just big on making sure people understand the importance and functions of all macronutrients. Kinda comes with the job I have haha.

vassille

Awards
True, but what you said could be misinterpreted. Any macronutrient has the capacity to 'turn' into fat. While what you said is correct, it implied that only CHO will turn into fat, which is an incorrect statement. Their diets may vary, that I don't disagree with, and there methods are also different, that too, i know.

It depends on what his goals are, if for example, he wanted to cut BF%, then I would recommend that he timed his CHO intake so that his body uses it before exercise and then during exercise, his body can rely on fat stores. However this also is not entirely correct. At high intensity training the proportion of fat burned during exercise may be lower, however the VOLUME of fat burned is higher, even as the body relys on CHO for fuel.
If his goal is to bulk, then CHO's, as well as proteins and fat are just as important.

All in all, nutrition is highly complex, as you said above and many people will have different opinions over what works for them and what doesn't. I'm just big on making sure people understand the importance and functions of all macronutrients. Kinda comes with the job I have haha.
It's all good I mostly want ppl to think what they eat because diet is 90% of the success in the gym and this is a fact.
And you right there are many approaches to bodybuilding and nutrition but from experience being carefull with carbs is a must as insulin spikes are an excellent fat store mechanism especially when energy is not used. Carbs do have their place and timing is important but I rather use fat for fuel rather than carbs. That;s just me.
What experience have you had with diets in terms of muscle gain, fat loss etc What worked for you?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, too true. I try consume as low G.I. as possible CHO to avoid insulin spikes, unless im exercising at the time. Yeah, if i'm cutting I tend to cut carbs, as do most people, and rely on fat and BCAA's as fuel. If im bulking, I couldnt care less where the fuel comes from as long as im getting it.

If im bulking, I just eat and eat. I eat clean foods but I eat alot and generally my calorie excess is 500-1000kcals and my gains are good. Bulking is always the easiest imo. Cutting is ok, I just do the opposite, -500 to -1000kcals off my maintainance and just make sure i'm not getting in too many carbs for 4-5hrs prior to training (depends on what kind of training im doing), if im working out for 2hrs+ ill definately have some carbs before hand and just increase the intensity. Straight after exercise i'll replace my lost carbs, protein etc. As long as I hit that deficit I cut no problem.

What works for you?

vassille

Awards
I preffer a low carb/med-high protein/ high fat diet. I dont bulk anymore as im trying to keep my weight under 260lb. I was 270 for a while and didnt like it I was too heavy and I feel is not too healthy. So I stay lean year round and when I train for gains I aim to lose fat and increase quality muscle but keep weight the same. Other than that I maintain and basically drop protein and fats a little based on my exercise level.
When I increase carbs I get fat and feel flat. So I hardly eat any carbs but when I eat them is either my cheat meal or around my workouts and that's about it.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
The rate of carbohydrates being converted to fats is actually very low in humans.. I eat over 450 grams of carbs per day and I am under 10% bf.. carbs don't make you fat, they are just easily overeaten, especially with fat combined = tasty as hell.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
The rate of carbohydrates being converted to fats is actually very low in humans.. I eat over 450 grams of carbs per day and I am under 10% bf.. carbs don't make you fat, they are just easily overeaten, especially with fat combined = tasty as hell.
Which in turn increases calories.
Cut carbs your cutting cals.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
I preffer a low carb/med-high protein/ high fat diet. I dont bulk anymore as im trying to keep my weight under 260lb. I was 270 for a while and didnt like it I was too heavy and I feel is not too healthy. So I stay lean year round and when I train for gains I aim to lose fat and increase quality muscle but keep weight the same. Other than that I maintain and basically drop protein and fats a little based on my exercise level.
When I increase carbs I get fat and feel flat. So I hardly eat any carbs but when I eat them is either my cheat meal or around my workouts and that's about it.
What %bf are you at 260? A lot of muscle lol. I feel the exact opposite when I eat carbs. I guess carb tolerance is very different among people.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
yeah, this was my first point. Its the least likely pathway for CHO to take in the body. Even if the body reacts to sugar with insulin to take the glucose out of the blood to normalize blood-glucose levels, it just stores it in the form of muscle glycogen. There is always a small amount of insulin in the blood to move small amounts of blood glycogen into muscles and cells.

willc86

Awards
When should someone eat carbs anyways while cutting? And while bulking? Well, bulking, I eat carbs every meal o_O but when cutting, when are you supposed to?

vassille

Awards
What %bf are you at 260? A lot of muscle lol. I feel the exact opposite when I eat carbs. I guess carb tolerance is very different among people.
right now im at about 9% at 251lb.
It's weird but I do get very flat on carbs and I feel very full and pumped with high fats and protein.

howwedo107

howwedo107

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
When should someone eat carbs anyways while cutting? And while bulking? Well, bulking, I eat carbs every meal o_O but when cutting, when are you supposed to?
I lift later in the day so I eat oatmeal in the AM with some Greek yogurt then I don't eat carbs until my post workout meal and that's all I consume carb wise

vassille

Awards
It depends on the person. Normally while dieting cut carbs down and increase fats and protein.

vassille

Awards
I dont know about that...that doesnt explain why on this western diets of high carbs low fats most ppl are fat. You might be a case where your methabolic rate your body burns calories is very high. Most ppl are not like you. You lucky

rsnake21

rsnake21

Awards
  • Established
I don't have any degrees or anything like that but most people in america are fat because they don't do sh*t all day imo.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
I dont know about that...that doesnt explain why on this western diets of high carbs low fats most ppl are fat. You might be a case where your methabolic rate your body burns calories is very high. Most ppl are not like you. You lucky
I don't have any degrees or anything like that but most people in america are fat because they don't do sh*t all day imo.
People get fat on carbs because they eat way over their maintanence cals. It is easy to overeat carbs + fat combined. Combine this with lack of exercise...

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
People get fat on carbs because they eat way over their maintanence cals. It is easy to overeat carbs + fat combined. Combine this with lack of exercise...
This.

vassille

Awards
Then what in your opinion is a balanced or ideal diet?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's a complex mix of portions, sedentary lifestyle, and GE foods. That and the chronic inflammatory state that these foods promote.

tilldeath

tilldeath

Awards
It's a complex mix of portions, sedentary lifestyle, and GE foods. That and the chronic inflammatory state that these foods promote.
This, if you exercise regularly and eat a high protein diet with a minimal surplus in calories you should gain fairly clean unless you have some screwy carb tolerances. Some people feel better low carb high fat and some moderate fat low carb. Main thing IMO is high protein and a surplus or deficit depending on goals.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
Then what in your opinion is a balanced or ideal diet?
I don't claim to have the answers for what constitutes the best diet for every person. It really comes down to trial and error. I have tried low carb and high fat and I did not like it at all. I eat probably 50% of my calories from carbs and I feel good at that level. All I am saying is carbohydrates themselves can not be blamed for obesity in America, it is all the macronutrients, even protein is overeaten in sedentary individuals. Does a male who sits on the couch all day need 200 grams of protein? Of course not, he is probably overeating all macronutrients, not just carbs. It is not uncommon for one meal at burger king to have close to 100 grams of fat in one sitting, either.