Homemade greek yogurt?

tilldeath

tilldeath

Awards
Anyone do this? I hate the price on greek yogurt, but love to use with some sugar free jelly. Seems simple enough just wonder about cost savings.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
sams has the 32 oz of chiobani for pretty cheap.....

tilldeath

tilldeath

Awards
sams has the 32 oz of chiobani for pretty cheap.....
how cheap? After looking into it I can make 4 quarts of it for around $5. 1 quarts at traget runs me around $6 so this could be a steal if isn't not overly time consuming.

apconcen

Awards
just buy the cheapest TUB of yogurt that you can find and strain it for 1-3 days in the fridge. Its too easy mate. 99% of the lactose[carb] will drip to to bottom and you will be left with REAL GREEK YOGURT with an extremely high protein content. The fat you are left with depends on the type of cheap yogurt[full, low or FF] that you started off with.

Do a google search but lining a strainer with a single paper tower set over a bowl and then scooping the cheap ass yogurt into it and leaving in the fridge for 1-3 days is all it takes.

When you master that then you can start making yogurt from scratch, also very easy and its really then that it gets cheap.

120guy

Awards
Homemade is the best!

Anyone do this? I hate the price on greek yogurt, but love to use with some sugar free jelly. Seems simple enough just wonder about cost savings.
I make it every week! It doesn't take too much time and with milk at Costco costing about $2/gallon I can make about 6 cups of greek yogurt for around $1.50...way cheaper than the pre-made stuff.

The recipe I've been using recently:
12cups skim milk
Nonfat dry milk (about 1.3 cups..or enough dry mix that would make 1quart)
some store-bought plain yogurt with active cultures

1 - Heat skim milk to 180F...seems to work best in the microwave
2 - Let the milk cool down to 120F
3 - Put 1-2 Tablespoons of the purchased yogurt into a glass and add about 1c of the warm milk, stir
4 - Whisk the dry milk into the skim milk
5 - Add the yogurt/milk mixture to the skim milk/dry milk mixture
6 - Keep the mixture warm (110-115F) for 8-12 hours
7 - Eat as is or strain the yogurt to make it greek....the volume will reduce by about 50% (I strain it overnight)

The only problem I run into is that I don't know the exact macros/calories of the finished product so I've just been estimating. The whey that drains off from the straining is supposedly about 7/1 carb/protein per cup and about 30 calories.

By my estimate the finished product is nearly equal in carbs & protein vs the unstrained which has about 50% more carbs per serving.

tilldeath

tilldeath

Awards
I make it every week! It doesn't take too much time and with milk at Costco costing about $2/gallon I can make about 6 cups of greek yogurt for around $1.50...way cheaper than the pre-made stuff.

The recipe I've been using recently:
12cups skim milk
Nonfat dry milk (about 1.3 cups..or enough dry mix that would make 1quart)
some store-bought plain yogurt with active cultures

1 - Heat skim milk to 180F...seems to work best in the microwave
2 - Let the milk cool down to 120F
3 - Put 1-2 Tablespoons of the purchased yogurt into a glass and add about 1c of the warm milk, stir
4 - Whisk the dry milk into the skim milk
5 - Add the yogurt/milk mixture to the skim milk/dry milk mixture
6 - Keep the mixture warm (110-115F) for 8-12 hours
7 - Eat as is or strain the yogurt to make it greek....the volume will reduce by about 50% (I strain it overnight)

The only problem I run into is that I don't know the exact macros/calories of the finished product so I've just been estimating. The whey that drains off from the straining is supposedly about 7/1 carb/protein per cup and about 30 calories.

By my estimate the finished product is nearly equal in carbs & protein vs the unstrained which has about 50% more carbs per serving.
good to know, I've been using a crockpot to keep temp stable and has worked well so far.

actionhero

actionhero

Awards
Gonna have to try this, I go through a quart of Chobani every day.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
PhantomReaper Nutrition / Health 56
Supplements 7
Cheeky Monkey Supplements 2
hercules_22 Supplements 6
Nutrition / Health 1