1. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.83%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Edamame

Seapoint Farms Dry Roasted Edamame, Lightly Salted, 4-Ounce Pouches (Pack of 12): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

56 grams of "complete" proteins in a bag. Relatively cheap and taste good. I need a break from all this cooking. Anyone want to give me a reason/helpful advice why this would not be a smart STAPLE for me?

I know there are a lot of argument related to SOY, hene my questioning.
    Thanks
    A-Minds HYPE-SLAYER! All posts & feedback are guaranteed to be unsolicited and legit
    "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge. Fools despise wisdom & instruction"
    Proverbs 1:7

2. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.56%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

With regard to soy, there is good and bad.

Dietary Phytoestrogens Activate AMP-Activated Protein Kinase With Improvement in Lipid and Glucose Metabolism

OBJECTIVE— Emerging evidence suggests that dietary phytoestrogens can have beneficial effects on obesity and diabetes, although their mode of action is not known. Here, we investigate the mechanisms mediating the action of dietary phytoestrogens on lipid and glucose metabolism in rodents.

RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODS— Male CD-1 mice were fed from conception to adulthood with either a high soy–containing diet or a soy-free diet. Serum levels of circulating isoflavones, ghrelin, leptin, free fatty acids, triglycerides, and cholesterol were quantified. Tissue samples were analyzed by quantitative RT-PCR and Western blotting to investigate changes of gene expression and phosphorylation state of key metabolic proteins. Glucose and insulin tolerance tests and euglycemic-hyperinsulinemic clamp were used to assess changes in insulin sensitivity and glucose uptake. In addition, insulin secretion was determined by in situ pancreas perfusion.

RESULTS— In peripheral tissues of soy-fed mice, especially in white adipose tissue, phosphorylation of AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) and acetyl-CoA carboxylase was increased, and expression of genes implicated in peroxisomal fatty acid oxidation and mitochondrial biogenesis was upregulated. Soy-fed mice also showed reduced serum insulin levels and pancreatic insulin content and improved insulin sensitivity due to increased glucose uptake into skeletal muscle. Thus, mice fed with a soy-rich diet have improved adipose and glucose metabolism.

CONCLUSIONS— Dietary soy could prove useful to prevent obesity and associated disorders. Activation of the AMPK pathway by dietary soy is likely involved and may mediate the beneficial effects of dietary soy in peripheral tissues.
    http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org...57/5/1176.full

So we see soy increases AMPK activity, specifically it increases it mainly in the liver and in white adipose tissue. Soy also increased uncoupling in white adipose tissue by +64%! So it looks to be great for someone looking to build lean muscle and stay lean.

But what about its effect on endogenous hormone production?

And then enters the bad

Clinical and biological activity of soy protein powder supplementation in healthy male volunteers.

PURPOSE: To determine if a commonly used soy protein supplement exhibits biological activity in vivo and in vitro, we evaluated an over-the-counter soy protein powder supplement using blood from healthy male volunteers and in an estrogen receptor in vitro assay. SUBJECTS AND METHODS: We recruited healthy male volunteers 18 years of age or older that were in good health. Treatment consisted of consuming two scoops (56 g) of pure soy protein powder (Puritan's Pride, Oakdale, NY) daily for 28 days. Serum testosterone and luteinizing hormone (LH) levels were collected on days -7, 0, 14, and 28 of therapy, and day 42. A reporter estrogen receptor (ER) assay was used to determine the effect on ER-beta and ER-alpha in vitro.

RESULTS: Twelve subjects were enrolled with a mean age of 32.25 years (range 25 to 47). Serum testosterone decreased 19%(+/-22%) during the 4-week use of soy protein powder (P = 0.021) and increased within 2 weeks after we discontinued soy protein powder. Serum LH concentrations decreased during the 4-week use of soy protein powder then increased within 2 weeks after we stopped the soy protein powder, but the changes did not reach statistical significance (P = 0.20). Soy protein powder was found to induce agonist activity to ER-beta using a reporter estrogen receptor assay in yeast.

CONCLUSION: Soy protein powder decreases serum testosterone levels in healthy men and acts as an ER-beta agonist; the significance of this biological effect with respect to cancer prevention needs further study.
    Overall, small amounts are probably fine but I would not make soy a staple in my diet. Now on edamame, whenever I go out for sushi i will munch on them as I find them to be delicious! But again by no means would I make soy a staple but every now and then is probably fine.
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  3. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.83%

Dude, you're a wealth of knowledge. Keep up the great work

PS: I'm on TRT so the deleterious effect is somewhat immaterial for me correct?

so, can I sub this in place of my 2 "meat" meals per day?
    A-Minds HYPE-SLAYER! All posts & feedback are guaranteed to be unsolicited and legit
    "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge. Fools despise wisdom & instruction"
    •   

4. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.56%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Whacked View Post
    Dude, you're a wealth of knowledge. Keep up the great work

PS: I'm on TRT so the deleterious effect is somewhat immaterial for me correct?

so, can I sub this in place of my 2 "meat" meals per day?
    Thank you for the kind words.

Outside of soys effect on our endocrine hormones, soy also has several other negatives too. It has a relatively low biological value (has a score of 74 and to put it in perspective whey has a score of 104!) which means less IGF-1 stimulation, nitrogen retention and immunity. Also, soy lacks the sulfur containing amino acids which are used for protein synthesis/growth, the production of glutathione and for our immune system. If I recall correctly, one study showed a raise in LDL and a higher susceptibility that it would oxidize. Then there is the issue of the anti-nutrients in soy. There are the protease inhibitors (which inhibit the enzymes that digest proteins) and there are lectins (which interfere with the absorption of some micro-nutrients).
  5. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.83%

You're welcome and well-deserved. You and Cooper are tops

PS: Thanks for raining on my Edamame parade.

The search for a fast, high quality, quality, non-shake, meatless, lower sodiu,, unprocessed, high protein source continues........
  6. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.56%

The search for a fast, high quality, quality, non-shake, meatless, lower sodiu,, unprocessed, high protein source continues........
    Ever consider hard boiled eggs?
  7. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.83%

If I wasnt so freaking lazy to have to cook and peel them sure. LOL

Ever heard of Whey Crisps? THey arent exactly straight from nature though! LOL (loaded with ingredients)

Regardless, that might have to be the answer for lil while

Just need some time off from cookied what feels like 24/7
  8. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.56%

There are those fish pack things too

9. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.83%

Yeah, looks like the direction I will have to go. Not looking forward to that nastiness. I lived on canned tun or chicken for 8 years (same crap, different packaging) - brings back bad memories .lol

Thanks
  10. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.83%

I guess they arent TO bad?

Ingredients: Natural microfiltration/ultrafiltration whey protein (beta-lactoglobulin and alpha-lactoglobulin) isolate and concentrate (proteinsubfractions and peptides, glycomacropeptides, lactoferrin and insulin like growth factors), corn starch, cocoa, sucralose.

Total Calories 105
    Calories From Fat 15
    Total Fat 1 g 2%
    Saturated Fat 0 g 0%
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 15 mg 5%
    Sodium 160 mg 7%
    Total Carbohydrates 3 g 1%
    Dietary Fiber 1 g 4%
    Sugars 0 g
    Show Net Carbs
    Net Carbs
    Minus Fiber
    2 g
    Protein 20 g

Ever heard of Whey Crisps? THey arent exactly straight from nature though! LOL (loaded with ingredients)
  11. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.56%

where is that sold? link please
  12. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.83%

Netrition dot com and even Amazon .com

"BPT Whey Protein Crisps"

Chocolate and Regular Flavor

For some reason, chocolate has a better nutrition profile (less carbs)
  13. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.56%

ahhh I see it... looks interesting..

I can see its use in some sort of trail mix blend... Whey crisp + dried fruits/raisins/craisins + nuts..
  14. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.83%

Agreed although Im a low carber.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Dry roasted Edamame
    By Jim Mills in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-20-2007, 09:49 PM
  2. Shrimp and Edamame Rotini
    By yeahright in forum Recipes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-05-2007, 12:22 AM