Low Sodium Tuna Cans

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Anyone recomnend a brand?

Low/No mercury too

I need a serious break from all the dang cooking I do.

ludbg

ludbg

Awards
I'm interested too. i personally can't have more than 1 can a day. if i wanna have more i make tuna salad for better flavor.

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
In interested in hearing if there are low sodium tuna in can. But I don't think you can prevent mercury free -______-

survey

Awards
I'm very sodium sensitive and I asked the same question about a year or so ago and the best response I got was to rinse the tuna in a strainer. I have been doing this ever since and it really seems to get rid of the salt and keeps me from swelling up like a baloon.

survey

Awards
When it comes to the mercury issue, I'm at a loss for advice, but I would like to know too.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bumble Bee Solid White Albacore in water has 140mg per serving. That is in the tuna though, not sure how much is in the actual can.

krikit

Awards
I don't believe there is a tuna out there that is "low mercury". That's the downside of eating such a delicious fish.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
"light" canned tuna is supposed to have less mercury than "white".

I think about 3 times less on average.

Natestreo

Natestreo

Awards
Starkist has a "starkist selects very low sodium chunk white albacore" tuna

35mg sodium per serving. That's as good as I've ever seen. I'm probably going to get some now that I located it on the web, wasn't aware before this thread reminded me why I don't eat tuna

@57

Awards
35mg is low for a can of tuna. i need to look for that.

also, rinsing the tuna as mentioned above does help some.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
"light" canned tuna is supposed to have less mercury than "white".

I think about 3 times less on average.
Had NO IDEA! Thanks for that ;)

35mg sodium per serving. That's as good as I've ever seen. I'm probably going to get some now that I located it on the web, wasn't aware before this thread reminded me why I don't eat tuna
Thx man

vassille

Awards
35mg is low for a can of tuna. i need to look for that.

also, rinsing the tuna as mentioned above does help some.
yeap I eat the same type, good stuff
I think it says something like very low sodium on it.
For all those who want to switch every major brand has it just gotta look for it but not all supermarkets carry it and it's more expensive!

ponysteak

ponysteak

Awards
Just opening the can and running it under the faucet a few times before eating seems to do the trick for me, but its annoying to do it for every can.

jared767

Awards
Nature's Promise has 250 mg of sodium and Starkist' Solid White Albacore has 240 mg ( the low sodium chunk tuna has 100 mg ).
Check Starkist nutrition info to see other variants

Not sure though if they are mercury free

tilldeath

tilldeath

Awards
yeah I rinse my tuna, takes most of the sodium out.

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
Hmmm never thought about rinsing the tuna w/ water. I'll start doing that from now on!

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
I just googled it. I read that if you rinse the canned tuna out in water for 3 minutes it is an 80% reduction in sodium... Not bad!

tWack

tWack

Awards
  • Established
I don't believe there is a tuna out there that is "low mercury". That's the downside of eating such a delicious fish.
You could look into cilantro as a natural mercury chelator.. Regularly eating cilantro pesto for example would help decontaminate your body. My mouth is filled with amalgam fillings so.. :eek:mfg:

Kingjake

Kingjake

Awards
Yeah I just started rinsing my canned tuna not bad

vassille

Awards
You could look into cilantro as a natural mercury chelator.. Regularly eating cilantro pesto for example would help decontaminate your body. My mouth is filled with amalgam fillings so.. :eek:mfg:
Read the samething about cilantro..appearently it works

tWack

tWack

Awards
  • Established
Read the samething about cilantro..appearently it works
I've been eating some every other day to test the effects.. I'm not sure yet, but I think I wake up a little more clear in my head.. A little more focussed.. Not sure (yet) though..

f1ghter33

Awards

thanks for the info !!!