Cholesterol Levels

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
The doc called and didnt give me actual #s but I will be picking up the paperwork sometimes in the next week to see what my actual numbers are.

In the mean time he stated that my overall #s for the cholesterol was there but I had high levels of the bad kind and low levels of the good kind. He stated to fix up the diet. I will def try and monitor what I eat. I do have some questions.

I was on DMZ for 2-3 weeks and stopped 2-3 weeks ago as well, if it was from that how long will it take for my levels to stabilize or return back to normal?

What changes can I actually make to fix my levels?

Are there any sups maybe I can use that would help with my levels?

-As I said I will post actual #s soon.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sup buddy

First off, lipid levels are continually being kicked down the ladder of importance with respect to cardivascular risks factors so don't be overly concerned.

For a quick cycle like that, usually only takes a few weeks (one month max) to get lipid levels back to pre-drug values.

I wouldn't worry too much about "what supplements will get you back to normal" faster due to the relatively short time frame it will take for your values to return to what's normal (for you).

There is not reason to assume anything else did this to you other than the gear so since you are OFF, just wait 30 days and get re-tested.

Focus on dietary changes if you want....

Lowering your carb intake drops triglycerides FAST.

Upping your healthy fats and lowering your intake of trans-fats will do both: increase healthy cholesterol (HDL) and decrease over all (TOTAL) and bad cholesterol (LDL).

LDL's are tricky b/c the smaller the particle, the more dangerous so just obtaining the LDL levels, does not paint the entie picture.

The doc called and didnt give me actual #s but I will be picking up the paperwork sometimes in the next week to see what my actual numbers are.

In the mean time he stated that my overall #s for the cholesterol was there but I had high levels of the bad kind and low levels of the good kind. He stated to fix up the diet. I will def try and monitor what I eat. I do have some questions.

I was on DMZ for 2-3 weeks and stopped 2-3 weeks ago as well, if it was from that how long will it take for my levels to stabilize or return back to normal?

What changes can I actually make to fix my levels?

Are there any sups maybe I can use that would help with my levels?

-As I said I will post actual #s soon.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Thx Bud.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
...........;)

ludbg

ludbg

Awards
lower carbs and get some fish oil and start eating more nuts or natural PB.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Increase omega-3 intake (free range eggs, free range meats, wild caught fish) and decrease omega-6 fats (nuts, processed fats, "cheap" eggs and meats) until stabilized - or supplement with fish oil but make sure to get ~3g EPA and ~2g DHA a day. But there's no need to supplement outside of fish oil.

And as Whacked mentioned, it's not a huge deal. Just eat right and give it time to return to normal.

Ratiocinative

Awards
Sup buddy

First off, lipid levels are continually being kicked down the ladder of importance with respect to cardivascular risks factors so don't be overly concerned.

For a quick cycle like that, usually only takes a few weeks (one month max) to get lipid levels back to pre-drug values.

I wouldn't worry too much about "what supplements will get you back to normal" faster due to the relatively short time frame it will take for your values to return to what's normal (for you).

There is not reason to assume anything else did this to you other than the gear so since you are OFF, just wait 30 days and get re-tested.

Focus on dietary changes if you want....

Lowering your carb intake drops triglycerides FAST.

Upping your healthy fats and lowering your intake of trans-fats will do both: increase healthy cholesterol (HDL) and decrease over all (TOTAL) and bad cholesterol (LDL).

LDL's are tricky b/c the smaller the particle, the more dangerous so just obtaining the LDL levels, does not paint the entie picture.
Adding on to what whacked said, cholesterol is what repairs your arteries. Steroids increase blood volume, thus more wear and tear on your arteries and more cholesterol needed to make the repairs. The problem comes in when the cholesterol gets stuck in your arteries, but that will only happen if the particles are too small. Keeping blood-sugar levels stable and maintaining a high natural fat (no hydrogenated oils) will keep the particles their proper size preventing them from getting stuck and oxidizing (plaque). However, that process is very slow, takes years, decades even, for the absolute worst case scenarios. The effect of steroid use on cholesterol levels is a non-issue as long as you are eating a healthy diet and avoiding things like smoking, and even if you aren't a few weeks on an oral is not going to make much difference in how soon you die of heart disease.

In short, imo, if you are eating a diet at least moderately high in fat, fasting occasionally, and avoiding frequent consumption of sugar (such as sipping soda throughout the day), then there's no reason to ever spend money on a cholesterol test.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Perfect thx guys.

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
not to hijack the thread but i recently got cholesterol checked and my ldl was 179 which is high ...my HDL was 113 which is crazy high.....I get all my fats from anaimal fats, egg (usually about 3 a day) coconut oil and olive oil....no cycle or anything but I do have low test levels.........very low, any idea whay my levels are like this? or anything I could do to help? thanks alot!

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Your HDL levels are CRAZY high. That is VERY healthy!

It is ODD that you have such an imbalanced assay. Such impressive HDL levels, yet bad LDL levels too? ODD.

Im at a loss as "typically", healthy HDL correlate to overall health lipid profile.

Sorry I cant help.

Maybe check this out: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol-levels/CL00001

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
As long as your trigs are within range I would not be concerned over high LDL

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
IF looking into a supplement, look into BERBERINE HCL

Its shown IN RATS, to increase the LDL-r In the liver which aids with the uptake and facilitation of LDL and may lower it significantly

Theres ways around it diet wise, wise as Whacked said it was due to your use of the hormones and may return to normal over time with no help.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
More people die with low cholesterol levels than people with high cholesterol. Doctors just want to put you on statins. They get a bonus from the pharm company when they prescribe you a drug that the drug dealer/pushers are selling.

StangBanger

StangBanger

Awards
Ive had cholestrol issues... I upped my fish oil and take a garlic supplement and my numbers are MUCH better now.

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
thanks for all the good info guy, i just ordered some "heart health" from iforce on the memorial sale and got some free fish oil so cant beat that......and my tryglycerides were fine so I dunno why my ldl is 179 and im only 22.........

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
thanks for all the good info guy, i just ordered some "heart health" from iforce on the memorial sale and got some free fish oil so cant beat that......and my tryglycerides were fine so I dunno why my ldl is 179 and im only 22.........
Don't worry about, its just a side effect from pulling up your shirt and showing everyone your abs!. 179 isn't really that bad though.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Yeah I'm cleaning up the diet. Adding in nuts (almonds), peanut butter, & I'll resume taking Purus Labs Organ Shield. :D

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dont use statins or any statin-like product.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
List the ingredients and we'll let you know :D

I may be mistakin but I would guess that Josh is mainly referring to Red Yeast Rice.

There are other supps that act like statins (just not as potent) that are not inadviseable like magnesium.

is heart health a tatin like product?

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Bergamonte™ Citrus Bergamia Risso
250 mg **
250 mg
(30% Flavanone, 1% Melitidine, 2% Bruteridine)

These are thee ingredients in heart help

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Never heard of those :(

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
wel...... we wil see what happen i guess lol i ordered it

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
LOL :p

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
wel...... we wil see what happen i guess lol i ordered it

Just trade it with an old guy. You really don't need it at your age. You would probably do more harm than good. Although I'm not sure how much good one bottle would do anyway. I don't know but I wouldn't use it at your age.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

PumpDogg

Awards
  • Established
I know this is a few months old, but I thought I would revisit this thread..

So as a consensus the most of you that replied in this thread dont feel that bad lipid profiles are detrimental as the decades stack up with terrible profiles the entire time??

I for one hate statin drugs.. They make me feel terrible and I wont take them, however on the flip side of things, my family history with heart disease etc Im a shoe in for heart problems, not to mention my lipid profiles are terrible without intervention..
So I take Niaspan ( a prescription form of the supplement Niacin ), Zetia a drug to up my good cholestrol because i simply dont make any good.. My number without it is 4-6.. I also take Lovaza ( a prescription form of pure fish oil )..
With those 3 combined without the use of a statin, my proflie is great.. including my triglycerides..
Without those my overall numbers are well over 200 for cholesterol and over 400 for triglycerides..

I feel that is better than letting my veins pump full of sludge for a few decades and then end up screwed..

Sometimes I wonder if I really need those meds/supps.. But I dont want to end up like the rest of my family with open heart surgery and all that goes with that..

I have also had great success with using several different supplements, but the cost was too much each month for me with a house full of kids.
1. Hawthorne Berries
2. Celery seed extract
3. Fish oil
4. Co Q10
Maybe something else too, but the end result was a great lipid profile my docotor was very happy with..

Just thinking outloud here guys.. Think Ill stay the course and hopefully avoid having my chest cracked open one day. or at least I hope so ;-)