You know what? F#ck carbs!

AutoKal47

AutoKal47

AK DoubleWide 47
Awards
Half rant, half relief
today I made a decision, the kind of decision you never
look back and question: I am *done* with carbs!

I'm done with carbs, refeeds, carb-up, carb cycling, or whatever
other protocol you can think about that involves eating carbs.

I've tried everything, you name it, I tried it.
I'm a low carber, I've never forced myself into it, I just
don't like carbs, and my body always hated them, so my carb
intake for the past 5 years has been 30gr of whole wheat bread.

That didn't stop me from getting my body where I wanted,
of course being natural is not like I'm huge or anything,
I've never been after that anyway, but still, my major lifts
are all more than twice my weight and I'm talking at least 6 to 10 reps,
not 1RM. My training volume is ridiculous and I train 6 days a week.

So obviously, my body can work without carbs no problem.
This last year in order to keep my BF as is I ended up lowering
calories too much because of my metabolism was slowing down,
so I started to look into carb-ups, refeed, etc..
Note that I've never done any of that before.

Knowing that my body hates carbs, I started once a week
with a small amount of what everyone calls "clean carbs", slow digesting, low GI ones,
disastrous results, stomach ache, headache, felt bloated etc.. and most important
I wasn't able to eat nothing more than like 80/100gr before feeling like hell.

I tried ANY kind of low GI carb, you name it, I tried it.
And not only that, I tried ONE KIND AT THE TIME, pretty boring, but I did it.
It was the only way to spot what worked and whatnot.
None of them worked.

I gave up, started to research and found out I wasn't the only one having problems
with the "clean carbs". So after finding out the whole low GI thing, the carb source
didn't matter, especially for my kind of protocol, especially for refeed purposes
and most important it didn't matter for body composition, I started with simple carbs.

That was *much* better, for something like 10 weeks I was able to down
a decent amount of carbs for my refeed, well for me at least, up to 500gr
with kids cereals.
Not any kind tho', specifically only two kinds, rice krispies and cheerios (not that
brand, a "knock off" that tastes better and has near-zero fats), again I found out
after long a## experiments with one kind at the time.

I was feeling Mcdonald's protocol for amount of carbs and timing
and those 10 weeks went well, i added size, strength while my BF was the same.
But still, something was off, at the end of the day I was still feeling bloated
and the next day I was groggy and experienced no energy increase (actually most of the time
I was feeling slow and slightly weaker)
and after 10 weeks I kinda got tired of eating only kids cereals even if it was once a week.
Started to research again and began to follow the skipload protocol, present time.
This is interesting because results came right away, more size, fuller muscles and look
and BF the same if not even lower.

BUT!! My body reminded me that it hates carbs every carb-up, every week...
In my refeed day I started to have *really* hard time downing carbs again,
I started to feel worse every week.. Not only bloated and groggy and weaker then next day,
but I started to get ridiculously painful stomach cramps.
Now keep this in mind: I'm a thought mofo, I can handle a great deal of pain,
I will break, but I don't bend. I went thru a broken vertebrae without painkillers,
thru a whole variety of injuries, accidents, broken bones, stitches, blade cuts, bad fights,
you name it, no problems.

But those cramps? Oh boy... they were/are so painful to make me pass out. Literally.

That happened badly last week, I got very very pissed not only because of the pain
but because it messed up with my work, that day I had to get a lot of very important sh#t done,
and doing it with that kinda pain going on it wasn't easy not fun. Not one bit.

The next day? Still cramps, still feeling bad, and all the usual symptoms,
but the worse thing is, this time it messed up with my back workout.
Oh hell no! You don't mess with my wo. I don't care how bad I feel, if I'm ill,
broken, tired, bleeding to freakin' death I will NOT skip my workout, nor I will "take it easy"
But last week my back workout was probably one of the worse of my life.
I was on the verge of giving up..

But I wanted to give carbs the last chance, so yesterday I went back
to my cereals, just 50gr of them post wo and no simple carbs, no hot spices,
no coffee, no anything that could have possibly upset my stomach (altho' i eat those
things every day with no prob): so, 50gr of cereals and the rest of the day,
was rice. Plain, steamed rice with some saffron and sweet paprika in a ridiculously small amount
and 1/2 teaspoon of soy sauce for 400gr of rice.

Results, I had to stop eating half way the day because I sensed the same kinda feeling
coming back, no way...
Even tho' I stopped I still got cramps, fortunately not that bad, well, that bad yes,
but not the WHOLE day, morning, yes, first half of the afternoon and then they started to
fade... When I started my workout tho' I wasn't feeling good by any means and despite
I powered thru it, let's say it, it was def not great.

What pisses me off the most? I did that to myself. And that's why I made the decision
and not looking back, I tossed ALL the freakin' carbs I had home.
I could have avoided all the pain and problems just keep NOT eating carbs,
NOT trying to make my body work with what it ain't suppose to work.
It has absolutely no problems working on protein and fats, actually it works pretty good!
And I love protein, gimme chicken, egg whites, turkey, greek yogurt every damn day
and I'm fine! Add nuts and avocados and I'm in heaven.

So, yeah, my rant is over, but is not only just a rant, my experience could be useful
to some. We are all different, we all react and work differently.
I myself like to try things myself before believing something is working (or not)
and gods know I'm OCD enough to consider all the variables and try all the variation
I can possibly think about (and as my lil knowledge allows me to).

Once and for all, AK says "f#ck carbs!", for good. My 30gr of whole wheat bread
are gonna be all I'll ever get. My refeed? Is gonna be a protein boost, maybe a fat boost,
I don't know, but def not carbs.

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You must have some kind of medical problem causing this because you seem to have a very sensitive stomache. I wish I had your problem, because then maybee I'd have your 6 pack to go with it.:lol:

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So I say F#ck carbs for a different reason.......My body Likes them too much:food:

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
could be your digestive track just lost the ability to digest them properly so the bloat is the stress the intestines are getting from the "different" food source. Not to say that you need some adjustment period or anything. Just your body has evolved a bit to accommodate your situation. And will function like that. It might not be "optimal" but who the hell knows what optimal is? I find the only carb I can eat w/o getting bloated is sweet potatoes. BUT if I eat too many of them I get mucus... go figure. But I try to keep them in my diet so that my body at least remembers how to utilize them. I'm not saying that over the course of a lifetime, hell usually not even in a couple generations do we see adaptations, but your body was probably so stressed for change it did. Just cause you're awesome my friend. Good luck. And I'm interested to hear about your low carb life and training. :D

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't want to take away the focus of this thread. This thread was about AutoKal and how he hates carbs.
Yeah but maybe he has IBS and that could be his problem.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
With IBS What foods are off limit to you??

I used to avoid most foods that generally give you gas. Anything spicey was out and I would eat mostly bland foods. Also I was on medication called Dicyclomine. It slows down the stomach and stops the cramps. When I switched to eating low carbs though I didn't really have any symptoms anymore. I only get mild symptoms on my carb ups and taking psysillum husk prevents any problems. I've been taking psysillum husk for at least 2 years now straight.

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
AutoKal have you ever had this checked out by an MD??

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I like carbs though so I deal with the gas and bloat. It isn't really that bad for me. I do get really bloated though and gain at the least 15 pounds just on my carb up days alone. My face even swells up.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Have you been checked for celiac?
In my minimal research online you can test negative for celiac but still react negatively to gluten. But if it does come back positive at least there is something he can legitimately say he shouldn't be eating and is causing bloat.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
In my minimal research online you can test negative for celiac but still react negatively to gluten. But if it does come back positive at least there is something he can legitimately say he shouldn't be eating and is causing bloat.
He needs to do an intestinal biopsy for true diagnosis of celiac. Also, someone can have gluten intolerance and not have celiac but have similar side effects. He should get an endonoscopy to check for inflammation at least.

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
He needs to reply to these posts..LOL

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
He needs to do an intestinal biopsy for true diagnosis of celiac. Also, someone can have gluten intolerance and not have celiac but have similar side effects. He should get an endonoscopy to check for inflammation at least.
Yea, I agree. IF possible AK, see what the doc says about it. I hear in the UK etc. celiac is bigger (Meaning more people know about it). If you can get that biopsy to get for the genes that make you celiac then you'll know for sure.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yea, I agree. IF possible AK, see what the doc says about it. I hear in the UK etc. celiac is bigger (Meaning more people know about it). If you can get that biopsy to get for the genes that make you celiac then you'll know for sure.

I think he is from Italy. Not even sure he is watching this thread though...lol!

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think he is from Italy. Not even sure he is watching this thread though...lol!
Ah, I just remember him telling me he orders from UK sites. He is probably training now or something lol.

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
He posted this 2 hours ago

AutoKal47

AutoKal47

AK DoubleWide 47
Awards
could be your digestive track just lost the ability to digest them properly so the bloat is the stress the intestines are getting from the "different" food source. Not to say that you need some adjustment period or anything. Just your body has evolved a bit to accommodate your situation. And will function like that. It might not be "optimal" but who the hell knows what optimal is? I find the only carb I can eat w/o getting bloated is sweet potatoes. BUT if I eat too many of them I get mucus... go figure. But I try to keep them in my diet so that my body at least remembers how to utilize them. I'm not saying that over the course of a lifetime, hell usually not even in a couple generations do we see adaptations, but your body was probably so stressed for change it did. Just cause you're awesome my friend. Good luck. And I'm interested to hear about your low carb life and training. :D
Thank you brother :)
You know I tried hard lol I'm just done now, seriously.
I mean what's the point? I work perfectly without them, at least if I LIKED them
I could still try things you know? but I don't even like the stuff..
And when happened that my job and my workout got f#cked up because I ate carbs, well
that was the last drop.
I'm 34, I'm a natty bb, I'm not after packing 50lbs of muscles, and as you said
most likely my body adapted, or I will it to lol, either way, I was perfectly fine
before trying to find a way to "carb-up" that worked for, well now I found it, I won't.. easy.

AutoKal I have problems being bloated from carbs on my carb ups also. You know what has helped me out a lot?. Whole Psyllium husks.
Thanks for the input man, you know, despite I won't try to carb up again
I might pick this one up regardless, cause as someone said my stomach tend to be
sensitive from time to time, this might help :)

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So you've never had this checked out by a doctor??

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you do get it, start off slowly with only 1 Tablespoon for the first few days. Also use at least 32 oz or more of water with it. Your gonna want to mix it with something flavored too. Drink it all at once also, don't let it sit or it will turn into a nasty gel like substance.

AutoKal47

AutoKal47

AK DoubleWide 47
Awards
Have you been checked for celiac?
Sorry guys :D I had lost some posts.

Absolutely yes, last time that the problem happened to me symptoms where very bad,
like the pain was unbearable, which is the only time in which I agree to get tested, and so I did.
Went to the hospital (I happen to have a surgeon in the family who works in there so, nice treatment)
and run gastroscopy, echography, checke kidney, colon, pancreas, stomach tract, bloods.. you name it.
Gastroscopy was the first one as everybody was thinking about ulcer or gastritis, everyone was pretty
surprised when it turned out my stomach was *pefect*, not a trace of anything, not even a slight inflammation
somewhere.. from there, all the other exams turned out negative, meaning, they had no explanation for
my symptoms, which went away on their own.. At that time, *any* kind of food was causing me the cramps.
It did last a week or so.

If you do get it, start off slowly with only 1 Tablespoon for the first few days. Also use at least 32 oz or more of water with it. Your gonna want to mix it with something flavored too. Drink it all at once also, don't let it sit or it will turn into a nasty gel like substance.
Thanks again, I will follow the advice.
BTW, i'm reading about IBS right now, and it sounds *a lot* like what I have,
including (after all my exams) the fact that seems hard to understand the cause..

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey AutoKal I'm the one who steered this thread into you getting yourself checked by an MD for IBS, but you don't reply too my posts so, F#CK OFF...LOL

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sorry guys :D I had lost some posts.

Absolutely yes, last time that the problem happened to me symptoms where very bad,
like the pain was unbearable, which is the only time in which I agree to get tested, and so I did.
Went to the hospital (I happen to have a surgeon in the family who works in there so, nice treatment)
and run gastroscopy, echography, checke kidney, colon, pancreas, stomach tract, bloods.. you name it.
Gastroscopy was the first one as everybody was thinking about ulcer or gastritis, everyone was pretty
surprised when it turned out my stomach was *pefect*, not a trace of anything, not even a slight inflammation
somewhere.. from there, all the other exams turned out negative, meaning, they had no explanation for
my symptoms, which went away on their own.. At that time, *any* kind of food was causing me the cramps.
It did last a week or so.

Thanks again, I will follow the advice.
BTW, i'm reading about IBS right now, and it sounds *a lot* like what I have,
including (after all my exams) the fact that seems hard to understand the cause..

It is Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Just to be sure, because IBS can stand for a lot of other things too.

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Incredibly Big Slut

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It is Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Just to be sure, because IBS can stand for a lot of other things too.
Most times in the US it is referred to as IBS though. And one more thing, those symptoms are not only from IBS. If you are experiencing those you might wanna look into other illnesses. Gut health and gut integrity are very important! :D

AutoKal47

AutoKal47

AK DoubleWide 47
Awards
Hey AutoKal I'm the one who steered this thread into you getting yourself checked by an MD for IBS, but you don't reply too my posts so, F#CK OFF...LOL

lol man, I thought I quote/replied to you in my previous :D sorry
Honestly I didn't know about IBS up until now, surely the docs should have thought about it
when I got checked tho'..

Yes, that's what I was reading about

Most times in the US it is referred to as IBS though. And one more thing, those symptoms are not only from IBS. If you are experiencing those you might wanna look into other illnesses. Gut health and gut integrity are very important! :D
But that's the closest thing I can think about, they excluded ulcer, gastritis, colitis, food poisoning and intolerance, and a bunch of other
things.. It has been so random that IBS could explain at least a big part of it if not everything.
Carbs have always been a problem, but when I had it really bad last time (when I got checked) *any* kind of food
was causing it.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
lol man, I thought I quote/replied to you in my previous :D sorry
Honestly I didn't know about IBS up until now, surely the docs should have thought about it
when I got checked tho'..

Yes, that's what I was reading about

But that's the closest thing I can think about, they excluded ulcer, gastritis, colitis, food poisoning and intolerance, and a bunch of other
things.. It has been so random that IBS could explain at least a big part of it if not everything.
Carbs have always been a problem, but when I had it really bad last time (when I got checked) *any* kind of food
was causing it.
In America it is speculated that most american's suffer from it lol....

AutoKal47

AutoKal47

AK DoubleWide 47
Awards
Yep, plus if stress is a possible cause and/or it can make it worse, well, I'm in all the way..
Beside my training habits which would probably be enough already, my job is also very stressful
at the moment

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not really. You have to be diagnosed with it. I was diagnosed with it about 16 years ago when it wasn't as common. I was only around 23 years old back then. I had an endoscopy, colonoscopy and a ton of other tests before I was finally diagnosed with it. In other countries the doctors may not have even considered it. So I would bet that AutoKal might indeed have it. I'm not if there are easier tests today to figure out if you have it or not. All the other tests I had were to rule out other problems.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
Not really. You have to be diagnosed with it. I was diagnosed with it about 16 years ago when it wasn't as common. I was only around 23 years old back then. I had an endoscopy, colonoscopy and a ton of other tests before I was finally diagnosed with it. In other countries the doctors may not have even considered it. So I would bet that AutoKal might indeed have it. I'm not if there are easier tests today to figure out if you have it or not. All the other tests I had were to rule out other problems.
my friend just went through the surgery to get his colon removed and then reversed to help him with his ulcerative colitis. It has been almost a year it is hard to say if it has helped though.

AutoKal47

AutoKal47

AK DoubleWide 47
Awards
Any updates on this Autokal?

Hey man,

actually yes, I've been sitting with 3 docs at the hospital this week,
2 times, the first time they mostly had no idea, took a coupla days to analyze the whole
thing and they came out with the theory that simply my body stopped producing the enzyme(s)
needed to digest carbs.
Since enzymes are expensive to produce for the body and it would make sense it stopped
producing sucrase for example, if is not needed.

I personally think is possible seeing how long I've been in a very low carb diet,
also another thing that I think it fits regards the symptoms.
In particular they said the problem is in the stomach digestion: assuming the pH of my stomach
became very acid this would cause the destruction of the enzyme responsible for carb digestion (they explained
much better than I'm doing..)
But anyway, the part that fits my symptoms comes: if that's the case, the offending food will cause discomfort
and such until it leaves the stomach to go into the small intestine, which sounds a lot like what's happening
when i eat carbs.

The cure would be to try to restore those enzymes, and at the same time to start to slowly reintroduce carbs
in the diet (which it ain't happening).

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey man,

2 times, the first time they mostly had no idea, took a coupla days to analyze the whole
thing and they came out with the theory that simply my body stopped producing the enzyme(s)
needed to digest carbs.
Since enzymes are expensive to produce for the body and it would make sense it stopped

I personally think is possible seeing how long I've been in a very low carb diet,
also another thing that I think it fits regards the symptoms.
In particular they said the problem is in the stomach digestion: assuming the pH of my stomach
became very acid this would cause the destruction of the enzyme responsible for carb digestion (they explained
much better than I'm doing..)
But anyway, the part that fits my symptoms comes: if that's the case, the offending food will cause discomfort
and such until it leaves the stomach to go into the small intestine, which sounds a lot like what's happening
when i eat carbs.

The cure would be to try to restore those enzymes, and at the same time to start to slowly reintroduce carbs
Sorry to hear that bro. But then again, you now know you shouldn't be eating um. ;)

CPennington

CPennington

Awards
Kinda hard to argue with somebody with a BF% like Kals haha

Bigez

Awards
I had some of the same problems for years and finally had tests done.Gastritis,ibs,and a touch of diverticulitis.I found that pasta,beans,and potatoes are a killer for me all these years so I gave them up and it did help.I may even go as far as he did and give them all up.

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I had some of the same problems for years and finally had tests done.Gastritis,ibs,and a touch of diverticulitis.I found that pasta,beans,and potatoes are a killer for me all these years so I gave them up and it did help.I may even go as far as he did and give them all up.
Those carbs (with the exception of spaghetti) are easy for me to give up. It's the ones in Peppermint patties, snickers, peanut butter cups, skittles, M&M's, Milky Way's, Fun Dip, Kit Kat, Hershey's, that are the toughest on me to go without :toothache:

adamcj1

adamcj1

Awards
Hey man,

needed to digest carbs.
Hey buddy,

Sorry to hear about the badish news, but glad to hear that it seems to be manageable. I'm not a doctor yet, so any advice I give is for entertainment purposes only. That said, if you're low not just on sucrase, but on multiple glucosidases (especially amylase), your symptoms sound like a lot like chronic pancreatitis. I know you said that you had a gastroscopy, but If you have insurance or can afford it, I think that getting an ultrasound of your pancreas might not be a bad idea (this might be what you meant by 'echography'). If you have insurance, possibly push for a CT scan, too--those will run you about $2000-$3000, whereas an ultrasound should only be ~$600-$1200, but rumor has it that CT scans are excellent diagnostic tools. If *I* learned that my own amylase levels were acting up, my first course of action would be to find out ASAP whether I had pancreatic cancer or a predisposition thereto. As I say, I'm not giving medical advice—just suggesting a few things that you should bring up to your licensed medical care provider. Also, you might ask about a fasting glucose blood test; these kind of suck, but information about the time profile of your personal glucose metabolism can be useful for managing day-to-day things.

Finally, if this all turns out to be nothing serious, but you want to carb-up from time to time for whatever reason, could you try straight glucose? Again, something to discuss with your qualified medical professional, but I would imagine that glucose tabs, or a glucose drip (if you can acquire one) would bypass most of your digestive concerns. Without more details on your pancreatic enzyme situation, I can't say how glycogen production/storage would go for you, but glucose throughout a workout would accomplish something similar. (Trolls: I know that an over-simplification...IGF-1, etc., etc.. I actually find that question very interesting, so feel free to PM me)

Ok--hope this helps

Stay strong, brother!

AutoKal47

AutoKal47

AK DoubleWide 47
Awards
Hey buddy,

Sorry to hear about the badish news, but glad to hear that it seems to be manageable. I'm not a doctor yet, so any advice I give is for entertainment purposes only. That said, if you're low not just on sucrase, but on multiple glucosidases (especially amylase), your symptoms sound like a lot like chronic pancreatitis. I know you said that you had a gastroscopy, but If you have insurance or can afford it, I think that getting an ultrasound of your pancreas might not be a bad idea (this might be what you meant by 'echography'). If you have insurance, possibly push for a CT scan, too--those will run you about $2000-$3000, whereas an ultrasound should only be ~$600-$1200, but rumor has it that CT scans are excellent diagnostic tools. If *I* learned that my own amylase levels were acting up, my first course of action would be to find out ASAP whether I had pancreatic cancer or a predisposition thereto. As I say, I'm not giving medical advice—just suggesting a few things that you should bring up to your licensed medical care provider. Also, you might ask about a fasting glucose blood test; these kind of suck, but information about the time profile of your personal glucose metabolism can be useful for managing day-to-day things.

Finally, if this all turns out to be nothing serious, but you want to carb-up from time to time for whatever reason, could you try straight glucose? Again, something to discuss with your qualified medical professional, but I would imagine that glucose tabs, or a glucose drip (if you can acquire one) would bypass most of your digestive concerns. Without more details on your pancreatic enzyme situation, I can't say how glycogen production/storage would go for you, but glucose throughout a workout would accomplish something similar. (Trolls: I know that an over-simplification...IGF-1, etc., etc.. I actually find that question very interesting, so feel free to PM me)

Ok--hope this helps

Stay strong, brother!
Thanks for the advice man, much appreciated.
Right now I do not miss carbs at all, actually, three weeks without carbing up and I'm feeling great,
and - oh well - I look better ahah
sc#ew carbs ;)

Have you tried a Paleo diet?
Nope, I'm not planning on changing my diet at all anytime soon, I made that mistake
in past, ain't happening again. I found my sweet spot, I really don't miss anything food wise
but for the most part food for me is just a tool to achieve what I want from my body.