Any tips on how to quit Coffee/Caffeine?

  1. Any tips on how to quit Coffee/Caffeine?


    This is a sticking point for me in my attempt to improve my health. Years ago I was able to lay off the stuff with litle problem, now I can't seem to perform without it. When I was able to stop it for a period, I noticed better overall health, but my performance at work took a huge hit. I have adrenal dysfunction and I feel like I am in a catch 22 situation because of it. I also seem to have a problem with my dopamine receptors as well and so things like n-acetyl-tyrosine, mucuna/l-dopa, don't work.

    Any suggestion on what worked for some of you coffee/energy drinkers out there?


  2. Just slowly ease off of it. Find a new hobby to take your mind off of it. Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill.

  3. That is pretty much all I can do I guess. A hobby would be good. Thanks.
    •   
       


  4. I just started splitting my coffee 50% regular. 50% decaf. Going to 100% decaf would be OK. I see no reason to cut out coffee entirely, unless that is just something you want to do.

  5. It will be a rough few days, but look into Revamp. Once your body is able to recover from long-term stim use you will better able to reevaluate what you can do to help.

  6. Quote Originally Posted by dsade View Post
    It will be a rough few days, but look into Revamp. Once your body is able to recover from long-term stim use you will better able to reevaluate what you can do to help.
    I am using Revamp as well. I believe it is making a significant difference for me.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    I am using Revamp as well. I believe it is making a significant difference for me.
    I was always a big proponent of the original Reset AD, and now Revamp.

  8. I checked out the Revamp. It looks interesting. Can this product sensitize the dopamine receptors? I ask because it claims to clean the adrergenic receptors. Thanks guys.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by Elit3 View Post
    I checked out the Revamp. It looks interesting. Can this product sensitize the dopamine receptors? I ask because it claims to clean the adrergenic receptors. Thanks guys.
    That's not it's primary MOA, but adaptogens do fantastic things in the body.

  10. I did it be doing half decaf and half regular in the morning then using B12 in the day. I then cut to all decaf and B12. Now all I use is a liquid B12. Works great for me and I use to work at starbucks so I was addicted.

  11. Yep Revamp and a slow taper down will help a ton.
  12. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    MidwestBeast's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by dsade View Post
    That's not it's primary MOA, but adaptogens do fantastic things in the body.


    I've taken a few complete stim detoxes and when I do it, I go cold turkey. The first 10-14 days are rough (headaches and withdrawal symptoms), but beyond that, I generally find that I feel fine.

    The big things are making sure you get plenty of sleep and your diet is good. As long as you've got that stuff in check, it'll make it easier, too. And I've used Revamp to help out (as dsade said, adaptogens are great).
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | Inspire to Evolve
    AnabolicMinds Rep

  13. I never had a problem with caffeine but i dipped wintergreen skoal for over 25 yrs and tried many ways to stop but finally had to realize it's mind over matter.I threw it away and never looked back.Was it easy-No.The best way to stop anything is to just stop.We can do anything we set our minds to do.Not being smart,just realistic.

  14. Quote Originally Posted by Bigez
    I never had a problem with caffeine but i dipped wintergreen skoal for over 25 yrs and tried many ways to stop but finally had to realize it's mind over matter.I threw it away and never looked back.Was it easy-No.The best way to stop anything is to just stop.We can do anything we set our minds to do.Not being smart,just realistic.
    Nice bro, I agree!!! I just quit Copenhagen after 16 years of at least a can a day! It's only been 45 days but it truly is mind over matter! My fuggin jaw has never been more sore from all the gum I chew now but it's better than cancer. Bigez, what made u quit and how long has it been?
    Independent

  15. Actually years ago when my oldest son was about 6,he loved sunkist orange and i had been using it to spit in.Well he didn't know it and turned it up and got sick as a dog.I have never let myself live that down and I decided that day that whatever I am doing that affects my family in a negative way and would make them sick that I would stop doing it.I quit dipping that day along with everything else that I wouldn't want my son to do and have never looked back.I made it mind over matter because in life you have to be driven to accomplish goals.It is the best decision I ever made.Now when I see it I can't believe just how nasty a habit it really was.

  16. Quote Originally Posted by drew.87 View Post
    I did it be doing half decaf and half regular in the morning then using B12 in the day. I then cut to all decaf and B12. Now all I use is a liquid B12. Works great for me and I use to work at starbucks so I was addicted.
    I have tried a similar approach before, minus the B-12, and it worked. What kind of B-12 and how much do you take? I'm currently taking methyl at 2000mcgs a day in a spray/orally... Maybing upping the dose would help. Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBeast View Post


    I've taken a few complete stim detoxes and when I do it, I go cold turkey. The first 10-14 days are rough (headaches and withdrawal symptoms), but beyond that, I generally find that I feel fine.

    The big things are making sure you get plenty of sleep and your diet is good. As long as you've got that stuff in check, it'll make it easier, too. And I've used Revamp to help out (as dsade said, adaptogens are great).
    This is what I am noticing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigez View Post
    I never had a problem with caffeine but i dipped wintergreen skoal for over 25 yrs and tried many ways to stop but finally had to realize it's mind over matter.I threw it away and never looked back.Was it easy-No.The best way to stop anything is to just stop.We can do anything we set our minds to do.Not being smart,just realistic.
    I was a fan of wintergreen skoal back in the day. Glad I stopped that. Totally agree with bold. The sooner the better, because it seems to get harder with age.

    Thanks everyone!

  17. Improve your intake of water. This is particularly essential throughout the first couple of days as your body is modifying. Including just a little " lemon " for your water causes it to be flavor better and lemon can also be great for your body.

  18. Yes, take it from someone who quit cold turkey: DO NOT QUIT COLD TURKEY.

    I developed a severe anxiety disorder for quitting heavy coffee usage cold turkey. Slowly decrease it or you will be like me, having to take SSRI and Zanax.
    Androhard + Andromass Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/182038-so-i-decided.html

  19. Nothing wrong with coffee.

  20. I agree do not go cold turkey, taper off over a few weeks is best especially if you dont want any major sides.

    I tried Revamp and I'm not sure if it helped that much, did assist a little though. There are a number of different "adrenal fatigue/ adrenal reset" supps on the market, I seem to get the best from using something like Athletic Greens. It gives you a nice energy buzz thats purely from organic / whole macros etc like wheatgrass, tastes ok too and will speed up detoxing your liver which is one organ that also regulates alot of your natural energy especially if you have been a high stim user.

    good luck!

  21. Cold turkey is gonna suck and is harder to pull off. Have u tried doing tea in the morning instead. Itll satisfy your subconscious lust for somthing hot in the morning

  22. Cold turkey definitely is a rough way to do it, the headaches are the worst.

  23. To get off coffee/caffeine I used DandyBlend(best coffee subsititue out there). Initially I added 80mg of bulk caffeine powder to one cup in the morning and one in the afternoon. Then about every 5-7 days I cut the amount of caffeine added in half until I no longer felt the need for it. Had no problems with withdrawals/headaches whatsoever. However I will point out after a 12wk period of being stim-free I did incorporate a preworkout back into my diet so I am no longer "stim-free". But I do feel this methodology and approach can help a great number of people out there quit the "coffee kick" if they so choose to do so.

  24. Quote Originally Posted by Elit3

    I have tried a similar approach before, minus the B-12, and it worked. What kind of B-12 and how much do you take? I'm currently taking methyl at 2000mcgs a day in a spray/orally... Maybing upping the dose would help. Thanks.



    I take some b12 that I get from a company called High Performance Fitness highperformancefitness.com. I like their tropical blast flavor the best. It's good stuff. It's an ounce a day. Better than pills. I take their multivitamin as well.

  25. I've had trouble since my doc started me on adderall with AD fatigue. I didn't know about such products as revamp. I'll have to look into that and Athletic Edge as well. Good post. I think a few cups of coffee a day is great for you, but I understand where that can lead from one cup to a dozen.

    We all have certain triggers and addiction problems, from caffeine and dip/skoal. (I was a college All-American in baseball so much respect to those who quit Copenhagen; our whole team would have it... While it wasn't hard for me to wean off, I can't say the same for ex. Teammates.

    Anytime help is asked for, it shows strength. I've had a lot of medication withdrawal as well. The only thing I can say is never quit any addiction cold turkey (unless you can afford sleeping it off for a week or two. )

    I like the idea of half regular /half decaf plus the supplements! Good luck.
    "KING KONG AIN'T GOT SH*T ON GORILLA WARRIOR. "

  26. I think coffee is fine as long as you just drink it black

  27. Quote Originally Posted by MuscleGauge1
    I think coffee is fine as long as you just drink it black
    Agreed! It's got a lot of good stuf in it

  28. Lots and lots of water and grapes. Quit smoking and red bull years ago with that method. If you're not smoking, I don't know how much the grapes will help, but they're certainly a deterrent if you smoke.

    Also, Ginger and lemon tea is very helpful for this. Ginger improves your digestion (which coffee and esp. energy drinks can impair) and lemon assists in cleansing the liver. I use this stuff called Lemon Ginger Herb Plus Probiotics, made by Bigelow. I used to buy it from my grocery store, but they stopped carrying it so now I have to order it from the big boys (vitacost, luckyvitamin, etc.), who I seriously dislike, but the tea is legitimately that good.

  29. Quote Originally Posted by Elit3 View Post
    This is a sticking point for me in my attempt to improve my health. Years ago I was able to lay off the stuff with litle problem, now I can't seem to perform without it. When I was able to stop it for a period, I noticed better overall health, but my performance at work took a huge hit. I have adrenal dysfunction and I feel like I am in a catch 22 situation because of it. I also seem to have a problem with my dopamine receptors as well and so things like n-acetyl-tyrosine, mucuna/l-dopa, don't work.

    Any suggestion on what worked for some of you coffee/energy drinkers out there?
    Cold turkey. If you're really going to quit, just do it. Going to have to deal with withdrawl but it's the only way to quit without starting back up again. I suggest making sure you have something else that can replace it for a long while. When I quit smoking 12 years ago, I started chewing Big Red because it burned.
    “Beastmode is when you can not possibly go any further, but then you make a conscious choice to move forward”.

  30. Quote Originally Posted by Colbicide View Post
    Cold turkey. If you're really going to quit, just do it. Going to have to deal with withdrawl but it's the only way to quit without starting back up again. I suggest making sure you have something else that can replace it for a long while. When I quit smoking 12 years ago, I started chewing Big Red because it burned.
    Do not quit it cold turkey. You run the risk of developing an anxiety disorder like me. Refer to earlier post. Slowly decrease it.

    Smoking is one thing, coffee is a completely different subject.
    Androhard + Andromass Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/182038-so-i-decided.html

  31. Quote Originally Posted by bla55 View Post
    Do not quit it cold turkey. You run the risk of developing an anxiety disorder like me. Refer to earlier post. Slowly decrease it.

    Smoking is one thing, coffee is a completely different subject.
    To each his own...
    “Beastmode is when you can not possibly go any further, but then you make a conscious choice to move forward”.

  32. Lot's of good suggestions here. I was not familiar with Revamp, so thanks to all the people who brought it up! I think I may need to order some to help me recover from all the stim usage this semester
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-20-2011, 08:49 PM
  2. 200mg caffeine +2.5mg yohimbine vs 300mg caffeine
    By kingdong in forum Supplements
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-25-2011, 09:53 PM
  3. Can I quit PCT now?
    By MF210 in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-06-2009, 08:11 AM
  4. what happens if I quit trt
    By namtrag in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 09-25-2008, 06:35 PM
  5. Coffee (caffeine) affects the boys?
    By Markio in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-13-2006, 07:59 PM
Log in
Log in