How is my diet for my cut?

dcne02

Awards
  • Established
I'm 6' 230 around 16% BF. My goal is to get down to 10%, without loosing much muscle. I've been on this diet for 3 weeks and haven't lost a pound. During this time I've been taking Lean Xtreme, EC, and Osta. I really think Osta is working wonders retaining muscle while burning fat. Been getting a lot of compliments that I look a lot leaner. The scale hasn't moved, which is pretty crazy. Please have a look at my diet below and let me know some feedback on how I can approve. I eat pretty much everything below m-f, and cheat S and Sun.

Breakfast:
3 Whole Eggs and 2 Egg Whites
(should I add some oatmeal?)

Snack:
Almonds
Whey Protein Shake

Lunch:
Salad with Grilled Chicken + Tuna with mayo

Snack:
Almonds

Preworkout:
1/2 Cup of Oatmeal
Whey Protein Shake

PostWorkout:
35 grams Glycomaize
Whey Protein Shake

Dinner:
Chicken or steak with brown rice or whole wheat pasta, or sweat potatoes.

Snack:
2 tablespoons Skippy Natural Peanut Butter

Prebed:
Casein Protein shake.

Approximately 2100 calories a day.

Carbs - 100g
Protein- 250g
Fat- 80g

Thanks!

Clemenza

Awards
  • Established
Hard to tell because we don't know your exact calorie count...

How much whey are you throwing down at once? How much brown rice for dinner meal? How many almonds?

I'd add oatmeal or some kind of carb for meal one.

dcne02

Awards
  • Established
I updated my post, forgot to include my macros.

Approximately 2100 calories.

Carbs - 100g
Protein- 250g
Fat- 80g

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
It's not bad. I think you could do a little less with the carbs

mdigregori

Awards
Your diet looks pretty good. But just like he said maybe you should add some carbs first thing in the morning. It's hard to tell unless you know your exact macro values. Use a calorie counter to figure out your exact calories and macros for a typical day so you can actually know for sure. Also maybe the cheats on saturday and Sunday can be preventing the fat loss and ruining the progress you made all week. And what about cardio. Cardio is essential if you want to drop fat while eating enough to maintain muscle

dcne02

Awards
  • Established
Your diet looks pretty good. But just like he said maybe you should add some carbs first thing in the morning. It's hard to tell unless you know your exact macro values. Use a calorie counter to figure out your exact calories and macros for a typical day so you can actually know for sure. Also maybe the cheats on saturday and Sunday can be preventing the fat loss and ruining the progress you made all week. And what about cardio. Cardio is essential if you want to drop fat while eating enough to maintain muscle
Thanks - I posted my macros in my first post. I try to get some LISS in about 3 days a week for 20 - 30 min. I really think the Ostarine is recomping me nicely. I will limit my cheat days to once a week, and throw in high intensity cardio on my two off days.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Too many carbs for a cut , specially if its not a carb cycling diet lol...Get less carbs In IMO.

dcne02

Awards
  • Established
Too many carbs for a cut , specially if its not a carb cycling diet lol...Get less carbs In IMO.
That is why I'm not consuming carbs for breakfast, because I feel pre and post workout carbs are more important. What carbs above should I remove/change?

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
I personally would do Lyle McDonald Ultimate Diet 2.0 , or a milder version of Carb Cycling paired up with daily cardio twice a day so you can keep your metabolism boosted up longer. Pre-Post workout carbs are ok in Bro-Science but there is not a real need for the body to train like that , proven by Intermitent Fasting , What I would suggest is if you want to cut , to rule out any source of sugar , like dairy , or sugar containing complex carbs , for sugar can be bad specially in a cut for those with high insulin sesitivity and by reducing every way for it to spike , paired with a good routine and a calorical deficit , its just a matter of sticking to your plan to reach your goal.

Natestreo

Natestreo

Awards
I would disagree with this. Granted, we are different body compositions, I'm consuming 166g carbs per day approximately and still dropping fat mass.

I don't think it is necessary to deplete carbs during a cut for a cut to be successful. My experience in doing keto diets in the past, over long period of time (9 months or something) yielded significant muscle mass loss.

Having the best results as well as the easiest results I've ever had while consuming more carbs than in the past.

Look into carb cycling as an alternative. Celorza mentioned this and I agree. It's good advice.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
drop the glycomaize and any 2 of the shakes, and get more protein from solid foods.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
I would disagree with this. Granted, we are different body compositions, I'm consuming 166g carbs per day approximately and still dropping fat mass.

I don't think it is necessary to deplete carbs during a cut for a cut to be successful. My experience in doing keto diets in the past, over long period of time (9 months or something) yielded significant muscle mass loss.

Having the best results as well as the easiest results I've ever had while consuming more carbs than in the past.

Look into carb cycling as an alternative. Celorza mentioned this and I agree. It's good advice.
I mean since he is doing this for standard periodization of meals , the approach you and I do bro is Lean Gains , which in a way allows us to take in more carbs even for a cut , which we both did with great results may I add, also cant want for your bod pod bro!!! Im sure its gonna be awesome!!.

But yes indeed you do present a standard point there , prolonged glycogen depletion taxes the muscle pretty bad , the thing is , if this is a fast cut , its better to approach it this way , if its a steadier approach like lean gains or a carb cycling diet , its not that bad to keep carbs in , since we know it will take longer and we dont wanna kill muscle along the way!

Clemenza

Awards
  • Established
Depends on the person. I need a significant amount if carbs to keep my muscle glycogen levels somewhat full. And I'll lose muscle if my glycogen is depleted too long. I learned this the hard way over time going low carb

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Depends on the person. I need a significant amount if carbs to keep my muscle glycogen levels somewhat full. And I'll lose muscle if my glycogen is depleted too long. I learned this the hard way over time going low carb
That happened to me :( thats why I ended up so small...But now I'm gonna be bulking so no problem >:3 I'll get back up there!! , Strength is still here though haha hasnt gone down yet , and thats good for me :p but mass has to be built again!!

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
drop the glycomaize and any 2 of the shakes, and get more protein from solid foods.
^^ this.

And I would recommend getting more fruits and vegetables. I keep shelled edamame, sliced bell peppers, sugar snap peas, sliced cucumber and baby carrots in baggies ready take to snack on the go. Also broccoli or brussel sprouts are easy to steam with a meal like dinner and pack a lot of nutrients. An apple is really easy to throw into your lunchbox and blueberries go great on top of a morning bowl of oatmeal etc.

Xerxes

Awards
  • Established
Your diet looks decent, but in my opinion could use some slight tweaking.

Breakfast:

Add in a complex carb source, like quick oats, with some fruit like blueberries.

Snack:
Almonds
Whey Protein Shake

Replace the whey shake with some solid, real food. Try chicken or lean beef. Perhaps try adding in some green vegetables as well.

Lunch:

Looks solid. Try using a "mayo" or "mayo like" product with a good source of fats. Kraft and a few other companies have a "mayo" made with extra virgin olive oil; it’s delicious, cheap and healthier.

Snack:
Almonds

Looks fine. However try switching up your food, and thus protein, sources daily. For instance have almonds one day and say Brazil nuts the next; rinse and repeat. Again, add in some green veggies.

Preworkout:
1/2 Cup of Oatmeal
Whey Protein Shake

I would personally drop the whey protein shake and add in a solid protein source pre-workout. I like chicken and cottage cheese pre-workout; this gives your body a fast and slow protein source.

PostWorkout:
35 grams Glycomaize
Whey Protein Shake

Get rid of the “Glycomaize” and find another post-workout carb source. There’s a ton of options out there. I prefer fruit, but again that’s just me. Also "Glycomaize" is a bit overpriced for what it delivers.

Dinner:

Sounds good. I would add in some green veggies, like broccoli, etc.

Snack:

Looks solid. Remember to mixup fat sources daily as well. Also try adding in fish or flax oil.

Prebed:

Casein Protein shake.

I would add in a bit more fat, like say another scoop of peanut butter or a serving of EVO. I prefer cottage cheese, rather than a casein shake, with a serving of peanut butter before bed. Again, try adding in fish or flax oil.

As others stated, try weekly carb and calorie cycling. I steer clear of cheat meals while cutting, unless absolutely necessary (i.e. progress has come to a dead stop), as well, but that’s just a personal preference. I would also eat as many green veggies, like broccoli, whenever possible.

onionness

onionness

Awards
you should be getting 4600 calories a day
460g or protien a day
115 g of fat a day
460g of carbohydrates
this method works well for what you want from my experiences

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
^^ this.

And I would recommend getting more fruits and vegetables. I keep shelled edamame, sliced bell peppers, sugar snap peas, sliced cucumber and baby carrots in baggies ready take to snack on the go. Also broccoli or brussel sprouts are easy to steam with a meal like dinner and pack a lot of nutrients. An apple is really easy to throw into your lunchbox and blueberries go great on top of a morning bowl of oatmeal etc.
Agreed fully. Your fruit and vegetable intake is way to low. You need the vitamins supplied by the fruits and veges in order for certain metabolic processes and things to happen, not to mention for general health and well-being reasons.

As well as this, your diet contains hardly ANY calories from carbohydrate (CHO) and as such you must have rather low glycogen levels (stored energy in the form on blood, muscle and liver glycogen). Simply eating excess protein IS NOT going to make you grow, to grow, you need to be consuming excess calories (eating more calories than what the body burns). Yes, some of this needs to be from protein, max 2g protein/kg/bodyweight but most need be in the form on CHO. Also, your pre-workout meals need revising. Why consume that much protein beforehand? When working out, the body needs FUEL in the form on carbohydrate or fat (dependant on the exercise) and while protein can be used as energy, using it in this way is just a waste of resources. Try consuming mixed fruit smoothies or LOW G.I. foods..

EDIT: both CHO and protein contain the same calories per gram AND eating an excess of both will result in them storing as fat however this is the LEAST likely pathway for both of them, CHO gets used for energy first and foremost before storing as fat

cameronman223

Awards
Your diet looks decent, but in my opinion could use some slight tweaking.

Breakfast:

Add in a complex carb source, like quick oats, with some fruit like blueberries.

Snack:
Almonds
Whey Protein Shake

Replace the whey shake with some solid, real food. Try chicken or lean beef. Perhaps try adding in some green vegetables as well.

Lunch:

Looks solid. Try using a "mayo" or "mayo like" product with a good source of fats. Kraft and a few other companies have a "mayo" made with extra virgin olive oil; it's delicious, cheap and healthier.

Snack:
Almonds

Looks fine. However try switching up your food, and thus protein, sources daily. For instance have almonds one day and say Brazil nuts the next; rinse and repeat. Again, add in some green veggies.

Preworkout:
1/2 Cup of Oatmeal
Whey Protein Shake

I would personally drop the whey protein shake and add in a solid protein source pre-workout. I like chicken and cottage cheese pre-workout; this gives your body a fast and slow protein source.

PostWorkout:
35 grams Glycomaize
Whey Protein Shake

Get rid of the "Glycomaize" and find another post-workout carb source. There's a ton of options out there. I prefer fruit, but again that's just me. Also "Glycomaize" is a bit overpriced for what it delivers.

Dinner:

Sounds good. I would add in some green veggies, like broccoli, etc.

Snack:

Looks solid. Remember to mixup fat sources daily as well. Also try adding in fish or flax oil.

Prebed:

Casein Protein shake.

I would add in a bit more fat, like say another scoop of peanut butter or a serving of EVO. I prefer cottage cheese, rather than a casein shake, with a serving of peanut butter before bed. Again, try adding in fish or flax oil.

As others stated, try weekly carb and calorie cycling. I steer clear of cheat meals while cutting, unless absolutely necessary (i.e. progress has come to a dead stop), as well, but that's just a personal preference. I would also eat as many green veggies, like broccoli, whenever possible.
What else would be a good carb source for breakfast other than oatmeal?
I am trying to get back into working out but I am 16 and a student in high school so I don't have time to cook oatmeal in the morning

dcne02

Awards
  • Established
Agreed fully. Your fruit and vegetable intake is way to low. You need the vitamins supplied by the fruits and veges in order for certain metabolic processes and things to happen, not to mention for general health and well-being reasons.

As well as this, your diet contains hardly ANY calories from carbohydrate (CHO) and as such you must have rather low glycogen levels (stored energy in the form on blood, muscle and liver glycogen). Simply eating excess protein IS NOT going to make you grow, to grow, you need to be consuming excess calories (eating more calories than what the body burns). Yes, some of this needs to be from protein, max 2g protein/kg/bodyweight but most need be in the form on CHO. Also, your pre-workout meals need revising. Why consume that much protein beforehand? When working out, the body needs FUEL in the form on carbohydrate or fat (dependant on the exercise) and while protein can be used as energy, using it in this way is just a waste of resources. Try consuming mixed fruit smoothies or LOW G.I. foods..

EDIT: both CHO and protein contain the same calories per gram AND eating an excess of both will result in them storing as fat however this is the LEAST likely pathway for both of them, CHO gets used for energy first and foremost before storing as fat
I grew plenty during my bulk. I have a protein shake and oatmeal about 1 1/2 hours before I workout. How is that too much protein? I agree with the fruit and veges intake being low, I'm working on that.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
You'll grow if your eating in calorie excess, thats just the way it works (and if training and sleep habits are on par). Im coming from a science background (i'm just completing my masters in sports nutrition). I'm just trying to be constructive in terms of how I think I would improve your diet, of course however your tastes in food might be completly opposite to my own and as such everyones diet will be different. However I do believe that you will benefit greatly from additional CHO in your diet as your body will be able to perform longer and harder. Protein is used to repair muscles after exercise (and transport hormones, molecules etc. as well as a variety of other things) however excess intake can possibly lead to higher urinary losses of calcium (something to consider especially as calcium aids in muscle contraction as strengthens the skeleton.

But each to their own

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am trying to get back into working out but I am 16 and a student in high school so I don't have time to cook oatmeal in the morning
easy answer, cook 2 cups of white or brown rice, or quinoa in the evenings, and then just have some in the morning. eggs over easy on top of quinoa is pretty damn nice

cameronman223

Awards
Haha I don't think I could bring myself to eat quinoa :p
Can I lose weight(fat) by bulking?

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
You need more variety, you can't eat the same thing every day. I like to have 3 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 3 dinners, 3 snacks, then I can mix and match. I also plan cheat meals. Most people stray from ideal at some point, if its part of the plan you'll get back on track faster.

cameronman223

Awards
By cheat meals you mean foods that aren't on the plan?
So one morning eggs, the next raisin bran and some source of protein but then what?

Kekkuk

Kekkuk

Awards
I put dry oatmeal in my blender w my shake. Tastes great.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
You need more variety, you can't eat the same thing every day. I like to have 3 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 3 dinners, 3 snacks, then I can mix and match. I also plan cheat meals. Most people stray from ideal at some point, if its part of the plan you'll get back on track faster.
By cheat meals I mean if your friends want to hit up a local diner one day, allow yourself to go - don't get fried food but dont freak out if you cant find something on the menu thats necessarily a perfect fit. Or, yeah, if youre craving pizza one day its okay to have a slice or two. If cheat meals are limited to, say somewhere between once a week and once every 3 days, and you don't go overboard with 3000 calories of fried crap then its okay.

Eggs are a staple for the bb-er, cottage cheese and greek yogurt are good as well as some other cheeses for flavor, lean meats, peanut butter or peanuts or almonds, turkey jerky. For your carbs brown rice and oats.

bean5er

bean5er

Awards
^^^^^this. Also carb cycling is awesome IMO. Reduce cheat to one or two Meals a week not days.

mdigregori

Awards
This is not necessarily true. Check out kris gethins 12 week daily trainer on bodybuilding.com. He eats a boat load of carbs on his diet and drops a lot of fat and gets insanely jacked. If you do enough cardio the carbs will not put on fat. But then again, everyone is different. For me, I need carbs on a cut to power through workouts. I just increase my cardio and keep my diet strict while on a bulk I will eat a lot more cheat meals and junk