Plant protein powders? Yay or Nay?

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
So my mother got me to try her Life's Basic Plant Protein and... I kinda dig it. It did taste like grass but not disgusting. Does anyone else use these plant protein powders? It's vegan friendly (not supporting that, just sayin) and has a great breakdown. Here's a link:

Sports Nutrition: Life's Basics Plant Protein

No soy. It's pea, hemp, and rice protein for about 10% more on price than something like Optimum Nutrition. Im thinking about picking it up...

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Bump.

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
Im thinkin protein is protein.. Rite? Jus as long your getting plenty of protein from whole foods i dont think it would make a difference.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The question is, does it offer any intristic health benefits compared to other protein options? If so, then is it enough to justify the extra cost?

I would say no. If I am gonna pay more money for my protein powder then I would get egg protein powder.

GreenEarth

GreenEarth

Awards
Typically, from what I understand, whey and other dairy or meat-based proteins tend to carry a much better amino profile when compared to soy, pea, rice, etc. protein, just like how most people will attempt to eat meat and eggs and milk and such as their primary protein source, and stay away from wheat-based protein sources out there.

Don't have sources lol, just something I remembered hearing a few times.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
whey and other dairy or meat-based proteins tend to carry a much better amino profile when compared to soy, pea, rice, etc.
This is right, it's more complete. I think plant proteins are for vegans.

But, on the other hand, living, fresh plant proteins are more bioavailable. Sprouted seeds, etc are far far more biologically available. Found this out through Matrix in the Anti-Aging forum.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Typically, from what I understand, whey and other dairy or meat-based proteins tend to carry a much better amino profile when compared to soy, pea, rice, etc. protein
This is the kind of information I was looking for. Gutterpump does bring up a good mention with bioavailability but I wonder if thats really significant compared to whey. Maybe as a whole food they have a higher BV but in a processed powder form does it even matter?

I would really have to sit there and scrutinize the profiles of my current whey to the Lifes Basics