fasting?

madds87

madds87

Awards
  • Established
what is the deal about bodybuilding athletes fastin? sounds contradicting to me..... can someone tell me or give me a link?

SMC USA

SMC USA

Awards
Look in Nutrition Forum .. Lean Gains/ IF Learning and Discussion Thread .. it's 141 pages long so far .. good read

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
whats so contradicting about it...."if i dont eat every 3 hours i become catabolic and burn muscle for fuel"?

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
the bulk of the literature out there suggests just that ..
yes and its unfortunate, i remember as a noob setting my alarm clock in 3 hour intervals to eat protein at night

R

Ratiocinative

Awards
I fasted all the time when I dropped weight, sometimes for 72+ hours, followed by a huge meal. Lost 3-4lbs a week and never lost any strength in the gym. You just have to learn to not find comfort in food and the fat just melts off.

fitnessblackbook.com/main/starvation-mode-why-you-probably-never-need-to-worry-about-it

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
the bulk of the literature out there suggests just that ..
This isnt entirely true. a lot of literature shows the effects fasting has on the rate and amount of fat burning. Yes, fat burning increases catabolic hormones, however, the IF style diet incorporates BCAAs which increase mTOR (protein synthesis). This saves muscle tissue. And although insulinogenic it only increases insulin levels in the presence of carbohyrates. So the addition of leucine wont hinder the fasting stage. It is also a ketogenic amino acid, and fasting increases ketone body levels.

you can actually save muscle tissue working with the IF diet.

As long as you get your calories in for the day, one meal or 10 meals it wont matter (unless you have any kind of insulin resistance or metabolic syndrome)

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
The dogmattic view on BB'ing.

Fasting and IF/LeanGains make likfe ENJOYABLE. Dieting sucks balls, but making the eating time frame become part of the lifestyle makes it easy as.
Check out the IF Thread or leangains.com

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This isnt entirely true. a lot of literature shows the effects fasting has on the rate and amount of fat burning. Yes, fat burning increases catabolic hormones, however, the IF style diet incorporates BCAAs which increase mTOR (protein synthesis). This saves muscle tissue. And although insulinogenic it only increases insulin levels in the presence of carbohyrates. So the addition of leucine wont hinder the fasting stage. It is also a ketogenic amino acid, and fasting increases ketone body levels.

you can actually save muscle tissue working with the IF diet.

As long as you get your calories in for the day, one meal or 10 meals it wont matter (unless you have any kind of insulin resistance or metabolic syndrome)
I think he simply "misused" the word literature to mean books and magazine/online articles; whereas we might use it in this context to refer to academic journals (anything from that unknown journal with an impact factor of zero point something to Nature or Science).

Regardless, good post.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think he simply "misused" the word literature to mean books and magazine/online articles; whereas we might use it in this context to refer to academic journals (anything from that unknown journal with an impact factor of zero point something to Nature or Science).

Regardless, good post.
I certainly hope so. The scientific journals need to catch up to current trends, and step away from whats previously preached in general nutrition classes.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Zach, here is a question;

Stuck at work from 7am til 5pm (court day today and i had to go with our barrister).
training can happen at 5:30pm.
Window is 1-9pm. Would you?
a) eat one 1 with protein and fat/veggies
b) fast
c) eat as your pre workout meal with all three macros?

The 2 stages are liberation of fatty acids, which occurs with weights, then the Oxidation, which occurs through cardio we will say by burning up all the Free fatty Acids.

If one was wanting fat loss and performance, what route would you go?

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Zach, here is a question;

Stuck at work from 7am til 5pm (court day today and i had to go with our barrister).
training can happen at 5:30pm.
Window is 1-9pm. Would you?
a) eat one 1 with protein and fat/veggies
b) fast
c) eat as your pre workout meal with all three macros?

The 2 stages are liberation of fatty acids, which occurs with weights, then the Oxidation, which occurs through cardio we will say by burning up all the Free fatty Acids.

If one was wanting fat loss and performance, what route would you go?
personally id have a shake with EVCO in it. Heres why....

http://www.nutricionhospitalaria.com/pdf/5369.pdf

and then just have 3g BCAAs ever 1.5 hours until workout,

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
done.
MCT's are great and i have also paired a few time MCT's with Cacao (lots of theorbromine)...BOMBS away

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
done.
MCT's are great and i have also paired a few time MCT's with Cacao (lots of theorbromine)...BOMBS away
Cacao is incredible. Its a CB1 partial agonist, no weight gain but all the appetite reducing effects.

those two together with kill appetite.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
if i dont have access to a shake, can i have some solid chicken and broccoli with MCT's?

M

marksdiman123

Awards
Tim ferriss says that fasting 1x per week for 19 hours can prolong your lifespan significantly.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
if i dont have access to a shake, can i have some solid chicken and broccoli with MCT's?
yea, eggs would be better, whites only. Or 4oz chicken... nothing heavy before a workout man

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Why are people still afraid of an egg yolk? DON'T WASTE THE YOLKS FELLAS!!!
Pre workout mate! We want aminos in the bloodstream quicker so minimal fat pre workout

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Why are people still afraid of an egg yolk? DON'T WASTE THE YOLKS FELLAS!!!
its not being afraid of the yolk, its just using them at what i feel would be better times.

When i hardboil eggs, and i ditch the yolk, i put them in a container with may and make it into a spread for chicken to add more fat too it.

We were talking specifically pre workout i believe. The easier it is to digest or the quicker, the better.

J

Jahcuree

its not being afraid of the yolk, its just using them at what i feel would be better times.

When i hardboil eggs, and i ditch the yolk, i put them in a container with may and make it into a spread for chicken to add more fat too it.

We were talking specifically pre workout i believe. The easier it is to digest or the quicker, the better.
Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification here brotha

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
of course, me being me, although I agree with the rest I had to point out that I have seen at least 1 study showing protein malabsorption when it is all taken in a single meal, but no such issues if its spread in at least 2. i can try and hunt it down if anyone cares. but trying to force down 200g of solid food protein in one meal isn't much fun anyhow.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
of course, me being me, although I agree with the rest I had to point out that I have seen at least 1 study showing protein malabsorption when it is all taken in a single meal, but no such issues if its spread in at least 2. i can try and hunt it down if anyone cares. but trying to force down 200g of solid food protein in one meal isn't much fun anyhow.
its definitely hard to digest, but when doin the one meal per day more then likely the BCAA content will make up for the solid protein they did not eat due to it hard to pound down a couple pounds of chicken or any meat protein for 1 meal.

i tend to agree with the notion as long as you get your calories your fine. I feel compelled to say the opposite when it comes to obese or diabetics. That it absolutely matters, but we would derail quite a bit.