Am I getting My Calories right?

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.

Exclamation Am I getting My Calories right?

I'm a small dude, and I got to admit, I am fairly new at bodybuilding. Used to be a solid 180lb chuby kid 10 months ago, and with some major cardio, nice workouts, some carb cycling , OEP AT2 and Erase...well Now I am 128, but now I am tring Lean Gains , to get rid of the left over stubborn body fat that is interfering with my 6pack definition. Thus I use the Scheme from Martin of +10%/-35% Calories for W.O/Rest days respectively.

I am 21 , 5'5" , 128lb and male...so my BMR (or coma calories) come out to be 1550 , The activity multiplier is quite confusing though...

It says this:

Harris Benedict Formula

To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

Now , I am a college student , so basically not much to carry around but my ipad or laptop...BUT I do work out M-W-F with DoggCrapp program , intense stuff seriously , i keep it at the max possible, and also I do cardio , 1 hour of jogging or stairmaster the other 4 rest days. But lets see...If I use it kind of correctly, I get: 2000 calories By using the 1.375 multiplier, since I dont do ANYTHING ELSE BUT the gym every single day , again just 3 days of lifting heavy , and 4 days of cardio.

So 2000 calories means:

W.O. Days: 2200 Calories: Around 180-200 Grams of Protein , 300 Grams of Carbs , 20-25g fat.
    Rest days: 1300 Calories: Around 180-200 grams of Protein , 50 grams of carbs , and 40-45 Grams of fat.

Isnt this TOO much for a cut regime and only lifting around 1.5 hours to 2 hours in a gym 3 days a week , with heavy compounds , 5 excercises per day?... Just need to know if I am over my caloric intake, for I am unsure of how the Net Calories work and how should i aim at them? For example , on my rest days I get 1300 cals, and burn like 600 on simply jogging , should i be burning the 1300 so as to not gain weight from the previous day? Or am I just being too paranoid of going back to the fat kid...Seriously Guys I don't wanna have to show a pic of how I looked, I was literaly a fat-lazy-**** with high lvls of ****arounditis , no worse...i didnt even go to the gym before! I started going seriously on july...and so it began my quest to be one of you guys...a lean mean machine...please help, you guys are pros and could help me get to the right direction :') plz...

2. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.

As for the calories. Don't over think it. Set them some where, run it consistent for a week or two, and adjust based on your results, and goals..

You are burning more calories worrying about formulas and all this ****, when it is irrelevant.

I am a huge DC training fan, but you would be better off doing a more basic strength program at your level of experience, and development. Quite frankly you are the type of lifter advised to NOT be doing DC training.

Check out starting strength, a 5 x 5 variant, 5/3/1, etc.

And FWIW from what I saw from the LG thread, you don't even appear to be doing the program correctly.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  225 lbs.

I agree with not overthinking the calorie situation too much. You can calculate you maintenance calories but it won't necessarily be true. It can be used as a starting point to help you figure out what it takes to reach your goals but will most likely have to be adjusted based on results. Two individuals of like size can respond quite differently to the same caloric intake due to GI function/health and other factors.
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Reynolds View Post
    As for the calories. Don't over think it. Set them some where, run it consistent for a week or two, and adjust based on your results, and goals..

You are burning more calories worrying about formulas and all this ****, when it is irrelevant.

I am a huge DC training fan, but you would be better off doing a more basic strength program at your level of experience, and development. Quite frankly you are the type of lifter advised to NOT be doing DC training.

Check out starting strength, a 5 x 5 variant, 5/3/1, etc.

And FWIW from what I saw from the LG thread, you don't even appear to be doing the program correctly.
    Thanks for the advice, and I did notice I was getting the program wrong so SimplyShredded guide helped with that , Now i know how the rotation works...I am not very experienced I know, and I wouldnt be risking myself, I'll take all precautions needed...I just need a lean recomp with 3 days a week training , and starting strength or 531 have been told to me in the same manner..."not recommended for you"...so what do i do?
  5. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.

Dc is for advanced lifters with a solid strength base that have exhausted other programs, are able to generate the needed amount of intensity, and know their bodies well.

Someone new Imo should be using a more "meat and potatoes" program.

And again I love DC. I trained it for years, it's just not the best program for YOUR situation.

I am not sure why anyone would discourage you from SS or 5/3/1. Both focus on building a strength base with fundamental lifts.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Reynolds View Post
    Dc is for advanced lifters with a solid strength base that have exhausted other programs, are able to generate the needed amount of intensity, and know their bodies well.

Someone new Imo should be using a more "meat and potatoes" program.

And again I love DC. I trained it for years, it's just not the best program for YOUR situation.

I am not sure why anyone would discourage you from SS or 5/3/1. Both focus on building a strength base with fundamental lifts.
    They told me SS wasnt good for a cut/recomp and that 5/3/1 would be too much for a newbie like me to handle and i would get hurt...(trainer at the gym) , and also Idk Meat and Potatoes but I'll try it out for sure thanks man , and again well im just trying to learn , and lean gains has been helping me out a lot , I look a lot more dry and cut now oO
  7. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Celorza

They told me SS wasnt good for a cut/recomp and that 5/3/1 would be too much for a newbie like me to handle and i would get hurt...(trainer at the gym) , and also Idk Meat and Potatoes but I'll try it out for sure thanks man , and again well im just trying to learn , and lean gains has been helping me out a lot , I look a lot more dry and cut now oO
    Uggg gym trainers. Lol I'd find someone new to take advice from. Your lifting program has little to do with your body comp goals. By that logic DC should be awful on a "cut".

And Fwiw starting DC for your first blast on a cut is another strike against you. While I love it while dieting you should not be starting the program for the first time on a diet Imo. The entire purpose of DC is to be cramming food in your face and making steady strength gains for long periods of time. Dieting is not going to allow you to do that to the same degree.

If you will get hurt on 5/3/1 you will get killed on DC. Lol Seriously. Rp'ng is better left to those with experience and proper form.

If I were you I'd just do 5/3/1 or the 5/3/1 boring but big template.

Do that for a year or so, and reevaluate.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Reynolds
    Uggg gym trainers. Lol I'd find someone new to take advice from. Your lifting program has little to do with your body comp goals. By that logic DC should be awful on a "cut".

And Fwiw starting DC for your first blast on a cut is another strike against you. While I love it while dieting you should not be starting the program for the first time on a diet Imo. The entire purpose of DC is to be cramming food in your face and making steady strength gains for long periods of time. Dieting is not going to allow you to do that to the same degree.

If you will get hurt on 5/3/1 you will get killed on DC. Lol Seriously. Rp'ng is better left to those with experience and proper form.

Dieting is what got me down from 180 lbs of fat haha that and a 5 day split with everyday cardio... Also I'll look into 531 again , like I said I just wanna gain only lean mass...kinda like a recomp but still trim up whatever fats left :3 thanks for the advice!
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  9. Registered User

I'm doing the Anabolic Diet with lean gains principles, but I've always had great success with carb cycling type programs. Agree with the not overthinking it. I'd aim high (to preserve muscle) and adjust from there.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Reynolds

Ok just adjusted to the 3 day 531 from Wendell from the ebook and calculated 1RM , gonna use the Main Lift + 3 assistance exercises ( for this 5 sets 10-20) straight out of the book. Sticking to tops 60 mins at the gym and reducing caloric deficit from rest days so I'm gona be at 2200 w.o. Days and 1700 rest days , still doing an hour or so of cardio on rest days...hope this is good for a newbie like me :3 thanks for the advice dude!! Starting solid on Monday!!
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. calories/calories from fat/ sugar alcohol
    By stfdkd37 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-02-2008, 05:48 PM
  2. How many calories?
    By bkoguy07 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-14-2008, 09:41 AM