Flax Seed Oil vs Fish Oil.....(Again???)

specmike

specmike

Awards
  • Established
I have read some articles on the net and a few threads here and at other forums but it's hard to find any real solid proof that one is better than the other. And, if one is better than the other, better at what? Delivering the Omega * fatty acids? Better ratios of one or the other? More efficient delivery of _____, etc, etc.

In short, I lift weights and ride BMX bikes. I am 42 and just want to look good, feel good, and perform well on my bike, in the gym etc. I eat pretty good and my main vice is beer.

So, any good articles or threads that lean one way or the other? I am currently taking flax seed oil as my stomach seems to like it better than fish oil. I know they make deodorized fish oil but I have not seen any compelling evidence that it's better than flax. And, we all know what flax seed oil did for Barry Bonds!

marinek9

Awards
Flax seed only contains ALA, whereas fish contains ALA, DHA, ans EPA. Altgough the body can
Make DHA and EPA from ALA concern can be slow and its not known if the levels of dha and epa from ala conversion are high enough to provide the benefits of those Omega FA. So, it apears as though getting Omega Fats from fish is superior...

specmike

specmike

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, the more I read, the less I know. I am leaning towards fish oils but everything I read says to watch out for this type, that type, overprocessed, mercury, farm raised, etc etc. I can't take the "regular" fish oil. Even with meals and no matter how much I drink, I am burping up the fish taste for hours. And, the ones with the fishy taste/smell removed seem to fall into the category of "avoid". Flax seed seems more simple and you can't go truly wrong with either I don't guess.

THIS seems to be one of the best PRO/CON reads I have seen.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
spot on ;)

Flax seed only contains ALA, whereas fish contains ALA, DHA, ans EPA. Altgough the body can
Make DHA and EPA from ALA concern can be slow and its not known if the levels of dha and epa from ala conversion are high enough to provide the benefits of

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Make DHA and EPA from ALA concern can be slow and its not known if the levels of dha and epa from ala conversion are high enough to provide the benefits of those Omega FA. So, it apears as though getting Omega Fats from fish is superior...
Conversion is around 1 percent and flax has some estrogenic lignands...

Fish oil all the way....

Buy a fish oil with the MEG brand on it and you'll be good to go...

specmike

specmike

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the input, much appreciated.