Redness

Hajiroku

Hajiroku

Awards
  • Established
Whenever a friend of mine exercises she get's a redness just underneath her eye sockets and on her upper cheeks. The thing is she isn't doing cardio, but weight lifting. The redness usually stays for as little as an hour or sometimes as long as the remainder of the day. Is this normal? is there a way to prevent this or minimize this effect? Also it doesn't seem to cause any physical discomfort. If it helps she's Chinese and in her early 20's.

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Probably just pushing a lot of blood to her head expanding the capillaries close to the skin. If she struggles against the weight hard enough like that she could get burst capillaries in the skin which never go away. I have these under my eyes right at the top of my cheeks. Nothing to worry about, just a cosmetic issue really.

I'm not a doctor, just my experience and opinion.

gokix811

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I wonder if she's lifting heavy and/or just starting to work out? I'm Asian as well, and had a similar issue when I first started working out with heavy weights and cardio... luckily it's toned down a lot since then. I think my body just had to adjust to the stress I was putting it through. But like your friend, my cheeks would get crazy red. Nothing really helped, so I just had to wait it out. I tried to cool my face down with cold water after workouts, and drink cold liquids. After an hour or so the redness would lessen. Just my .02.

Hajiroku

Hajiroku

Awards
  • Established
I wonder if she's lifting heavy and/or just starting to work out? I'm Asian as well, and had a similar issue when I first started working out with heavy weights and cardio... luckily it's toned down a lot since then. I think my body just had to adjust to the stress I was putting it through. But like your friend, my cheeks would get crazy red. Nothing really helped, so I just had to wait it out. I tried to cool my face down with cold water after workouts, and drink cold liquids. After an hour or so the redness would lessen. Just my .02.
Did you also experience dryness and peeling? Well I would consider her a novice, but not a beginner. She was doing the typical 'girl' workouts (stairclimber and treadmill for 2 hours) and then she transitioned to more serious workouts. Now she is lifting within her 8-10 rep range and using HIIT/MIT training for cardio.

gokix811

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Did you also experience dryness and peeling? Well I would consider her a novice, but not a beginner. She was doing the typical 'girl' workouts (stairclimber and treadmill for 2 hours) and then she transitioned to more serious workouts. Now she is lifting within her 8-10 rep range and using HIIT/MIT training for cardio.
No peeling, but I experienced some dryness. My post workout routine is to wash my face with cold water and then apply face lotion (sensitive skin type).