Pinched Nerve/strained neck. - AnabolicMinds.com

Pinched Nerve/strained neck.

1. New Member

Pinched Nerve/strained neck.

Well was just doing my warmups on deadlifts last night, when I felt a pinch at the rear of my neck near and just below my hairline. And man am I stiff and sore as hell this morning. Can't turn my head left and right or up and down. A warm shower seemed to give some minor relief. I'm guessing I may have been complacent with my form,

Whats the best for this kind of strain, hot or cold pack?

And have many others pinched a nerve when doing deadlifts or any exercise for that matter?!

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  223 lbs.

Heat, get blood to the area. At least helps for me. I get a lot of neck spasms. My thera Cane is also helpful for getting to pressure points. Just keep messaging the area. Lay off putting tension on the area, with working out.
  3. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf0420 View Post
    Heat, get blood to the area. At least helps for me. I get a lot of neck spasms. My thera Cane is also helpful for getting to pressure points. Just keep messaging the area. Lay off putting tension on the area, with working out.
    Cheers brotha! Yea i went down to the chemist this morning and picked up a heat pack that ive been throwing in the microwave all day. Just sitting back watching bbing dvd's with it on my neck! Got some deep heat in the cupboard which ill also prob rub in.

As i said i think i got complacent and shrugged the weight up a little with my traps. O well The heat def makes it feel better while its warm then stiffens right up as it cools down.
    •   

4. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

I would suggest after it heals to start training your neck. Also try a hook grip on deadlifts, makes it harder to shrug the weight. Id foam roll your traps and try to massage the area. Stretch maybe starting tomorrow. Ive tweaked my neck several times in training. Each time I used the hammer strength 4 way neck machine after with moderate weight for 2-3 sets of 10-15 reps each way. Always loosened up the area for me and it would be better in about 2 days.
  5. New Member

Thx for the advice Lou! Normally I would use hook grip but it was a lighter warm up set so I just went a normal grip. Good idea with the next exercises, im lying in bed now having trouble sleeping, just akward to lie on, have to keep adjusting how I lie on the pillow! Hoping tommorow when I wake up it's almost gone..... Hoping!! Lmao
    "Dont worry about the burn man! You can do Jane Fonda classes if you want the burn"
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

I suffer from imflamation but in the lower back
    Try some NSAID and cold
  7. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'5"  100 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

my chiro never really told me it was a pinched nerve....but right along my hairline i delt with some crazy headache/neckache for a year or so....after like 4 sessionf of ART chiro, i feel so much better, if it's that severe and constant, i'd take a look at some ART
  8. New Member

Thanks for all of the advice guys, yea I'm just assuming its a pinched nerve. Because its similar to when you turn your neck a funny way had that happen a few times when I can't move my neck for a day. But it's normally better by the morning.

This morning when I woke it was still sore as hell, but I seem to be able move my neck more! Feels a lot stiffer today so hopefully that's a sign it's on the mend!

1 warm up deadlift has cost me like over 200 dollars with missing work lmao god dam it!!!!!
    "Dont worry about the burn man! You can do Jane Fonda classes if you want the burn"
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Newtonselite View Post
    Well was just doing my warmups on deadlifts last night, when I felt a pinch at the rear of my neck near and just below my hairline. And man am I stiff and sore as hell this morning. Can't turn my head left and right or up and down. A warm shower seemed to give some minor relief. I'm guessing I may have been complacent with my form,

Whats the best for this kind of strain, hot or cold pack?

And have many others pinched a nerve when doing deadlifts or any exercise for that matter?!
    I did something very similar about a year ago doing shrugs (actually it probably built up over years), turns out I've got a bulging disc at T3. Upper back bulge going up my neck and down my arm, which made me initially think it was a disc in my Cerv spine. I'd get it checked out if it persists, maybe an MRI?

I goto a great PT who actually trains Kevin English. He had/has me doing a ton of rotator cuff/ light delt work and it's the only thing that's helped me. If I don't do it, I pop the disk out again. Look into it and good luck!

Also, ice is better for inflammation IMO.
  10. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clemenza View Post
    I did something very similar about a year ago doing shrugs (actually it probably built up over years), turns out I've got a bulging disc at T3. Upper back bulge going up my neck and down my arm, which made me initially think it was a disc in my Cerv spine. I'd get it checked out if it persists, maybe an MRI?

I goto a great PT who actually trains Kevin English. He had/has me doing a ton of rotator cuff/ light delt work and it's the only thing that's helped me. If I don't do it, I pop the disk out again. Look into it and good luck!

Also, ice is better for inflammation IMO.
    Cheers for the heads up, I dont think mines to that extent, as today has gone on i have been doing some neck stretches and i now seem to have way more neck mobility, still stiff and sore though. I think mine is more of a strain thats putting pressure on the nerve.
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Good to hear! Neck problems are scarey
    PES ALPHAMINE Log
    h ttp://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213082-pes-alphamine-log.html
  12. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clemenza View Post
    Good to hear! Neck problems are scarey
    Yea dont tell me stuff about MRI's and things hahahahaha, make me scared!!
  13. Senior Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Neck probs. are scary. I would alternate. Hot for a few then cold for a few. Do this for an hour or so. If the pain doesn't lessen in 2weeks I would go to the doc. You never want to play around with neck injuries
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. any secrets for a pinched nerve?
    By bill86 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-28-2011, 09:46 PM
  2. Pinched nerve?
    By DerickVonD in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-01-2009, 10:18 AM
  3. Pinched nerve due to overly dominate/tight back??
    By ato ucf in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-01-2009, 08:57 PM
  4. Possible pinched nerve?
    By h0other in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-24-2009, 09:27 PM