Protein powder and whole food?

darsh89

darsh89

Awards
I am going to lay out my current daily diet. I will then lay out another daily diet that includes less whole food meals and more protein powder. This second diet will be much more convenient and cost less. Basically I need to know if consuming 1 whole food meal a day with 4 liquid meals is going to be substantially different than consuming 3 whole food meals a day with 2 liquid meals, assume macros are identical.

Current:

Breakfast (pre workout):
1/4 cup oats, 1 cup vanilla greek yogurt, 1 scoop iso whey, 3 tbsp liquid egg whites, 1 tbsp peanut butter, 8 straw berries, 1 tsp fiber, 4 fish oil (61 carbs, 55 protein, 14.5 fat)

intra workout:
20 grams wazy maize, 4 oz gatorade, 1/2 scoop protein, 1 scoop bcaa (35 carbs, 19 protein, .5 fat)

post workout:
1 scoop iso whey, 9 tbsp liquid egg whites, 8 oz 1% organic milk, 4 oz gatorade, 1 apple, 1 slice cinnamon whole wheat bread (70 carbs, 55 protein, 3 fat)

afternoon: whole wheat hamburger bun, 7 oz grilled chicken, sauce (48 carbs, 52 protein, 10 fat)

Dinner:
salad, 1 tbsp caesar dressing, 1 green shake, 7 oz top sirloin, 6 triscuits (20 carbs, 51 protein, 26.5 fat)

Bed:
1 scoop casien, 2 tbsp peanut butter, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp fiber (15 carbs, 33 protein, 24.5 fat)

macros: 255 carbs, 270 protein, 80 fat

Basically I am wondering if i replaced my afternoon meal with an equivalent amount of macros in a liquid shake would that effect anything? 1 am considering replacing it with 1/3 cup oats, 1 tbsp peanut butter, 1.75 scoops of beef protein powder. I wanted to use a beef powder so im not gettin an excessive amount of dairy. Thanks for the input

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
or you could stop being retarded and stop the waxy maize and gatorade.

you dont need 5 meals a day period.

even on an empty stomach whey takes a few hours to digest.

switch to milk and you're all set. there's plenty of options out there.

darsh89

darsh89

Awards
or you could stop being retarded and stop the waxy maize and gatorade.

you dont need 5 meals a day period.

even on an empty stomach whey takes a few hours to digest.

switch to milk and you're all set. there's plenty of options out there.
many people hate the waxymaize, but i get a legit boost from it. ill take it a third of the way into my workout and it does help.

i eat 5 meals because im too hungry to space them out but dont have the time to eat 6.

I wanted to avoid more milk because when i get too much whey or dairy i take massive ****s and fart alot. my main concern was if replacing one whole food meal with one liquid meal is gonna make any noticeable difference in anything

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
many people hate the waxymaize, but i get a legit boost from it. ill take it a third of the way into my workout and it does help.

i eat 5 meals because im too hungry to space them out but dont have the time to eat 6.

I wanted to avoid more milk because when i get too much whey or dairy i take massive ****s and fart alot
you are hungry because you're blood sugar is going up and down all day.....because you're eating all day. duh?

and milk is 80% casein so i'm not sure how too much whey is causing shts and the shakes aren't.

do whatever you want.

darsh89

darsh89

Awards
you are hungry because you're blood sugar is going up and down all day.....because you're eating all day. duh?

and milk is 80% casein so i'm not sure how too much whey is causing shts and the shakes aren't.

do whatever you want.
more milk would be more sugar right? casien, whey, its all dairy. yes i have less issues with purely casien or whey isolate, concentrate seems to give me the problems, which i have mainly cut out so its not really an issue anymore.

help me follow what ur saying though. I should just eat 3 big meals instead of 5? that would mean im putting down 80-90 carbs and protein per setting along, i cant digest all that? and if i did 3 big meals plus a few snacks wouldnt that still effect my blood sugar? I am down for any suggestions anyone may have, i just need to be able to understand them.

Natestreo

Natestreo

Awards
I noticed last summer during my cut, I lost a lot of muscle mass when I consumed more supplemental foods than whole foods. As a result, I bulked back up to replace the muscle I lost and attempted to get some extra as well. I've been cutting back down for the past few months, consuming a strict diet consisting of 85-90% whole foods (at the least). I might go a week without a protein shake, occasionally. This is in contrast to having 50% of my daily caloric intake be supplemented, last summer.

My results have been much better eating whole foods. Weight loss is all the same, but I'm retaining and even gaining some muscle mass during the cut this time around. I would like to think the diet has a lot to do with this.

Also, I used to do the 6 small meals per day stuff up until the past few months when I discovered "leangains" diet. Check it out, it's well worth researching. I've had awesome results with this and it simplifies eating, especially with a full schedule. Also, I was always hungry during the 6 meals a day diet, made snacking hard to avoid at times and made macros hard to track because of this.

My advice: stick with as many whole foods as you can. Supplements are meant to be exactly that, supplements to your regular diet and exercise. Sometimes we forget this in an effort to find convenience, as I did last summer!

Hope this helps.

darsh89

darsh89

Awards
I noticed last summer during my cut, I lost a lot of muscle mass when I consumed more supplemental foods than whole foods. As a result, I bulked back up to replace the muscle I lost and attempted to get some extra as well. I've been cutting back down for the past few months, consuming a strict diet consisting of 85-90% whole foods (at the least). I might go a week without a protein shake, occasionally. This is in contrast to having 50% of my daily caloric intake be supplemented, last summer.

My results have been much better eating whole foods. Weight loss is all the same, but I'm retaining and even gaining some muscle mass during the cut this time around. I would like to think the diet has a lot to do with this.

Also, I used to do the 6 small meals per day stuff up until the past few months when I discovered "leangains" diet. Check it out, it's well worth researching. I've had awesome results with this and it simplifies eating, especially with a full schedule. Also, I was always hungry during the 6 meals a day diet, made snacking hard to avoid at times and made macros hard to track because of this.

My advice: stick with as many whole foods as you can. Supplements are meant to be exactly that, supplements to your regular diet and exercise. Sometimes we forget this in an effort to find convenience, as I did last summer!

Hope this helps.
Thank you for the input. I enjoy eating whole foods alot, love to eat, just sometimes dont have the time.

I have looked at lean gains before and always been a little leery, but it would fit much better with my schedule. i will look into it more

Natestreo

Natestreo

Awards
Let me know if you have any questions about it. I'd be happy to let you know how I've been doing it. Theres a good thread on here with info, as well

To say I was leery about it at first would be putting it mildly, I was terrified I was spending time training and eating well utilizing a diet that wasn't going to work (based on my previous thoughts of how a diet should be).

I can say now, though, I've been calorie deficient for the duration of my leangains diet and have not lost any muscle mass. Actually had gained several pounds of muscle mass and dropped fat simultaneously, using this diet.

Definitely look into it! Maybe give it a month and see how you like it? Trial and error is a great way to learn

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
If you "don't have time" to eat whole foods, just cook large portions of food when you can so you have leftovers. Tupperware should be your bestfriend. Things like Turkey chili, chicken pasta etc. All have LARGE amts of servings per. That will help you time-wise

darsh89

darsh89

Awards
If you "don't have time" to eat whole foods, just cook large portions of food when you can so you have leftovers. Tupperware should be your bestfriend. Things like Turkey chili, chicken pasta etc. All have LARGE amts of servings per. That will help you time-wise
I will have adequate time to cook, I will not have adequate time to consume it lol. Downing a shake in 30 seconds between classes is doable, eating 50 carbs, 45 protein, and 15 fat in a whole food meal in less than 3 mins between classes will not be feasible, no way around it unfortunately

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
EpiStrong Supplements 30
LJ57 Supplements 23
LJ57 Supplements 1
akboom87 Supplements 34
R1187 Supplements 8